First Sale & My Start Up

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by starfitness, Oct 11, 2020.

?

When did your business make its first sale?

1. First 2 weeks

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. 2 weeks - Month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A Month +

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. starfitness

starfitness UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    On the 1st of October, I started a sports clothing brand called "Star Fitness" (starfitness.shop). After setting up a website, social media, advertising, creating contacts, and ordering stock I have come to wonder:

1) When do most startups make their first "sale"?
    2) What is a good amount of website traffic for my website? - currently at 30 per day
    3) What are good ways to advertise for free?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 By: starfitness Member since: Oct 11, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,926 3,037
    1 when people know about your products and are wanting to buy them.

2 Depends. Couple of thousand maybe?

3 Talk to people. Show them your product.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

328 48
    Just had a quick look and this is not on topic but after a 2 min glance these things stuck out to me.

How do you trade mark a star symbol on its own?

Sports clothes need to have real people wearing them. The arms especially for a man is a big selling point. Have a look at all competitor brand sites.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  4. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

861 131
    Three products? You'll be waiting a long time.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  5. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,795 608
    This is as generic as it gets, a star.

If serious about growing a fitness brand, look at competitors, look at Gym Shark and how they started and how they scaled.

How did they market their product, influencer marketing etc.

Nowadays the fitness folks are a bit savvy, they'll see straight thru this, its a t-shirt with a star on it.

The star doesn't portray anything, there's no story behind it.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,491 9,930
    Your number 3 question is all wrong. You should be asking how much you need to spend. A budget of £100 on advertising would be a good start. This will tell you if there is a market for your products amongst the hundreds of others currently available.

Posted: Oct 11, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. starfitness

3 0
    Thank you all so much for your input! It's really made me think about my approach. Originally the name "Star Fitness" came from a slogan "Sports talent achieving results". However, I thought this sounded too corny. Does anyone think differently? Or should I have stuck with a name that actually meant something?

8. starfitness

3 0
    Thanks for your advice, I've already set a budget of £100 on advertising, however, I want to promote the business as much as possible. If there are ways to advertise the company for free this gives me an advantage.

9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,926 3,037
    Free advertising? Worth every penny.

Trouble is usually you are not noticeable.

Look, when you decided what to stock you knew who your customers were. Figure out where they go or what they look at when deciding to buy this sort of product.
    And advertise there. Not necessarily cheap.

People often think of social media - sometimes it is even a good idea.

People can get annoyed at spam. You can drive people away from your product easily.

Posted: Oct 12, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  10. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

328 48
    G
    Get rid of the name entirely.
    It's not a strong enough name IMO.
    Sorry to be blunt.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,462 574
    I would also change the name as soon as I possibly could...one of your biggest competitors will be a company called Start Fitness...distinct similarity between the two names that could lead to confusion.

Better to change now before it costs you too much.

Posted: Oct 20, 2020 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  12. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Regular Free Member

202 32
    Firstly well done and good luck! It won't be easy but there's no reason you can't be successful. Be prepared to make quick decisions and change course as you go!
    My business is B2C and launched in June 2017. Took us 10 days for our first sale, and in that first month we sold £3k of product, with a total of 3,000 visitors. We advertised initially with Facebook and Instagram posts, and messages to family and friends as we had no marketing budget! Fast forward to June 2020 and we sold over £1m of product with more than 600,000 visitors. We now spend significant sums advertising on Google, Facebook. Instagram etc.
    You will need to invest in advertising, and build up your social media following. There are lots of companies that make this sort of thing, so how is your brand going to stand out? Will you only sell direct or will you sell on Amazon, Ebay and via third parties? The former is much harder but ultimately will make your brand worth more.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 9:14 AM By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  13. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,823 889

It does all depend on many things. Let me give you one example of a business that I invested in, and sold off around 5 years ago.

1. We made a sale in the first couple of weeks. But not from the website, that took time to promote.

2. Our first milestone was 1000 visits a day. 30 a day is not enough to really generate even a weekly order. But you have to start somewhere, of course. But you are going to need a lot of traffic. And for it to convert well

3. This question is a worry. If you have no marketing budget, you are really not going to get to take off speed. For the first year, we spent around £40k on marketing - I am not sure if that would be enough now. You can get free exposure, of course. And you should take it. You need to be generating lots of social media content. Lots. You need to be getting involved in everything you see. But I online retail is massively competitive.

Posted: Oct 25, 2020 at 9:59 AM By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010