FireFox Adblock Threatens downfall of Internet Commerce

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Phil_Rees, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon-M

Simon-M UKBF Ace Free Member

2,826 642
    I mean from the debate you are conduction here at UKBF. How many have you convinced?

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: Simon-M Member since: Nov 16, 2007
  2. Phil_Rees

Phil_Rees UKBF Newcomer Free Member

153 7

Thanks for the feedback, yes we are aware that the top site (what we refer to as the international site) that has the country selection part does not give good clarity as to what the townbuzz project is about - but then it wasnt a criticisim of our project (which we have by choice not revealed all the details about) it was a question if the banner locations where deemed as exccesive.

Could i ask when you clicked on the dover site - did you have adblocker active? Did the overlay (that only appears to non registered people and only once on the home page ) still appear if the adblocker was active. - I belive your answer will be yes.

The slider you mention - is actually no adverts, is the memebrs of the business directory and the site - a gallery of there avatars so to speak - so your preconception has in fact caused you to miss out.

Well done.

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: Phil_Rees Member since: Jun 5, 2009
  3. Phil_Rees

153 7

Well its not my objective to convince anyone one way or another, more to highlight the long reaching problems this type of system will bring.

I wouldnt like to answer for anyone other than myself wether they are anti or pro adblocker.

Hell in certain circumstances i can see the benefit of Adblocker myself - and ive used it.

But the matter im fighting for is third party software developers restricting the functionality of legitimate sites, threatening the economy of legitimate services and threatening the free service nature of the internet.

4. Phil_Rees

153 7
    And I hate CCTV and how the big brother syndrome has intruded on every aspect of our life - i wish there was a CCTV blocker - do you think thats right as well?

I understand the need for it, in certain circumstances i even welcome it - but when its used to intrude on peoples privacy and abused - different matter.

Same as the adblocker although populer - and as i have said many times before, i can understand WHY it is popular - my objection is to a third party developer deciding what is or not wrong or right with BLANKET censorship installed into the software which is open to major abuse - imagine something like that in the hands of the government - oh hang on , i think they are trying to do that in australia are they not, restrict what people can view on the internet - think there is a term for why they shouldnt, mmmmmmmmm oh yes freedom of speech.

IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT YOU SEE ON MY SITE - DONT VISIT IT
    (Regardless of who owns the sites)

You dont have the right to interfere with its functionality - unless and i mean UNLESS what is on that site is illegal.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  5. Kev Jaques

Kev Jaques UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,109 265
    As much as I would like to see the back of this thread regurgitating the same old issues I believe Place of Design is right with his assumptions and I've not even looked at anything yet.
    Your logic is flawed Phil, it is your loss not his. If you fail to communicate what your site is about you will lose potential clients no ifs or buts. It is your job to tell people why they are at the site, if you don't then its simple, you will lose that potential customer.

That failure to communicate and the ads all over the place is money changing advice but has fallen on deaf ears. If you are testing this both ways then kudos to you for trying, if not then you will lose out in the end. Again another money saving tip which will most likely end up doing nothing.

And people have every right to change the functionality on a site if they prefer certain things, it's about user choice which you should embrace going forward.

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: Kev Jaques Member since: Feb 19, 2009
  6. Phil_Rees

153 7
    By the statement about preconceptions and loss, it was meant as a general statement - which after later thought actually highlights an interesting problem - the global perception that advertising is not beneficial etc. Imagine a world with no advertising at all - no signs, no magazines no nothing, business just coming to you like a magic bullet whenever anyone decides i know im going to do this - dont think so.

Advertising is essential to commerce and essential to public awareness to enable competition and to give consumer choice.

Remove that choice, remove advertising you remove competition - services become lazy, customers have less access to bigger, better and cheaper services.

Regarding communicating what our particular project is about, we have delibratly refraind from giving away those details at this stage on our site and have been informing those we are communicating with on a one to one basis - we simply dont want to give the game away at this stage.

That depends on the function of the site - we are not an ecommerce site offering retail services - if my site was for example for a local baker, i would not expect the site to be orintated from generating revenue from advertising (although if i wanted to thats my right), no it would be geared towards selling the products within my store.

If my site was geared towards selling one product - again i wouldnt expect to see adverts other than for my product or related products.

Hoever services that are free of charge, providing information on a free basis - i have no problem with advertising that pays for that service, especially if it means as a result i dont have to pay for the service - thankyou very much mr service provider.

Now this i totally disagree with, people dont have the right to interfere with the way a site functions, no more than they have to interfere with the way other commercial software functions or the business structure of my organisation.

The user choice comes from wether they continue to use the site or not once they have visited it and that comes down to the benefits of the site regardless of the advertising or not.

7. Kev Jaques

Kev Jaques UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,109 265
    50m+ people would disagree with you, by offering choice you make it more appealing to more people, take away that choice and you then narrow that margin.
    No matter how much you preach about it your not actually making any headway with it, the increases you predict tell you that, so you should find a way it will benefit you otherwise it's not a good investment of your time.

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: Kev Jaques Member since: Feb 19, 2009
  8. Phil_Rees

153 7
    All the increase it the popularity of adblockers will do is to encourage devlopers to make it inoperable.

Dozens of development forums i have browsed over the last few dayst, both for affiliate marketers and non affiliate marketers have in depth discussions on how to stop adblocker.

So again we back to the statement - just becuase something is popular or fashionable doesnt make it right - Fur coat anyone?

9. Simon-M

Simon-M UKBF Ace Free Member

2,826 642
    Offer that to the Siberians. They will snap your hand off. LITERALY!!!

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: Simon-M Member since: Nov 16, 2007
  10. lockie

lockie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,386 313
    Just looked at the townbuzz site and i must say that popup is really annoying,it made me want to click away instantly.Its also very hard to read,why such a small font size ? One thing i dont get is why should i submit content ? Whats in it for me ?

Forget adblocker more important things to address or no one will be hanging around to see the ads.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: lockie Member since: May 4, 2007
  11. Phil_Rees

153 7
    Thankyou for the feedback, its most welcome.

Dont be confused by the pop up message in the right of the announcement box thats just the name of the joomla software and its intention in the long run is to present a welcome message.

The welcome message will only appear on the home page as a transparent to inform non registered users that to gain full benefit they should register and for urgent community messages such as Amber Alerts when children are missing.

Regarding the font size etc we are still working on the layouts and config of the site - we just got our forth development portal up and running to start bug testing etc and will be improving it all the time.

Id love to go into the entire concept of the TownBuzz but right now im restricted on what I can announce. Im hoping within the next two weeks that we will have full litrature together to explain what we are doing, this litrature will also be displayed on the main doorway site.

All I can say at this point in time is that the entire project is about supporting the local community and local business's by providing an intergration between local community and organisations. The website is just one factor of the entire project and will be backed up with traditional promotional methods in the local areas of the portals.

What I am happy about is that we are generating alot of interest in this project worldwide and over time as the project develops from its infancy and more investment is placed into it im sure that the communitys the portals represent, both business or otherwise will come to find that the TownBuzz will be an welcome if not essential resource.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
    Posted: Aug 17, 2009 By: Phil_Rees Member since: Jun 5, 2009
  12. happyoutdoors

happyoutdoors UKBF Regular Free Member

122 20
    Phil,

I found this info from a link provided in another thread today

10. Anything That Looks Like Advertising

Selective attention is very powerful, and Web users have learned to stop paying attention to any ads that get in the way of their goal-driven navigation. That's why click-through rates are being cut in half every year and why Web advertisements don't work. Unfortunately, users also ignore legitimate design elements that look like prevalent forms of advertising. After all, when you ignore something, you don't study it in detail to find out what it is.
    Therefore, it is best to avoid any designs that look like advertisements. The exact implications of this guideline will vary with new forms of ads; currently follow these rules:

• banner blindness means that users never fixate their eyes on anything that looks like a banner ad due to shape or position on the page
    • animation avoidance makes users ignore areas with blinking or flashing text or other aggressive animations
    • pop-up purges mean that users close pop-up windoids before they have even fully rendered; sometimes with great viciousness (a sort of getting-back-at-GeoCities triumph). I don't want to ban pop-ups completely since they can sometimes be a productive part of an interface, but I advise making sure that there is an alternative way of using the site for users who never see the pop-ups.
    Seems to indicate that ads may not be a good ongoing revenue stream.

Thought you might be interested.

Geoffrey

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 By: happyoutdoors Member since: Jan 8, 2009
  13. Jozo

Jozo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

108 4
    Oh no.. Bad firefox guys are going to take us all down!

The only ones complaining here are the people who put lots of adverts on sites and do not care where they come from as long as the ads make the pennies.

Ads in moderation that is just fine, but all the flashing images, ads, pop-ups, google ads - it is driving me nuts.

It is very difficult to google a genuine good website not plastered with google ads or banners.

Posted: Aug 18, 2009 By: Jozo Member since: May 26, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.