FireFox Adblock Threatens downfall of Internet Commerce

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Phil_Rees, Aug 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil_Rees

Phil_Rees UKBF Newcomer Free Member

153 7
    See first post - link does exactly that :)

Better still here it is

http://www.block-adblock-plus.com/

Although If we use this we will be using a more gentile message - something along the lines of

"The FREE services and content provided within this site for your leisure is paid for by a selection of sponsors adverts.

Please disable your adblocker to continue to the FREE content and enjoy the site at your leisure.

Thankyou for your understanding in helping to protect FREE services on the internet."

Or something along those lines anyway

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
    Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: Phil_Rees Member since: Jun 5, 2009
  2. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Legend Free Member

5,382 598
    Just for fun. ;)

I can kinda get what you're saying overall but blocking ad blockers will never work. It's a cat and mouse game.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  3. Phil_Rees

153 7
    I suppose it boils down to which benefits outweight the other.

The content on your site - or the adblocker stopping the user from viewing it.

4. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,447 3,073
    That's very Christian of you ;)

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  5. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Legend Free Member

5,382 598
    Do adblockers usually block images?

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  6. Phil_Rees

153 7
    Well im not all bad you know :)

Anyway, the debates been fun but dont think we going to find a full answer, like people have said you got to roll with the times and counter it.

Enjoyed the controverisal nature of it all (I do like a grand entrance) but back to work and all that.

My personal conculsions - love them or hate them adblocking software is here to stay and free services funded by adverts are here to stay.

Most likely web develoeprs will find a way to overcome adblocker making them pretty useless in the long run till someone finds something else to upset the status quo and untill then developers of free informational websites are going to have to consider either A) shutting shop, B) restricting content to subscribers or C) ensure their content is good enough that people will not want to turn on adblocker on their site.

So till the next time - ta ra

7. lockie

lockie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,386 313
    So lets get this right you have a way of showing a message if the adblocker is in use saying that an ad would normally show here ? Why not instead of just showing a message show an advert instead ?
    That has to be an easy workaround, make the adblocker trigger an ad instead of showing the message.Adblocker then becomes your friend as you can show ads where others cant.

Simples

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: lockie Member since: May 4, 2007
  8. Phil_Rees

153 7
    NOW THATS CLEVER - Didnt think of that one.

Maybe its worth doing both - have it display an advert (Maybe to your own subscription service which gives access to your site without affiliate ads (sponsors coded in adverts still there) with a polite message explaining why adblock has prevented full access to the site?

9. movietub

movietub UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,859 1,109
    Hang on...

So the only people that will see this message are people who have chosen to use ad-blocker becasue they don't want to see loads of adverts?

Essentially you would be asking them to turn it off so you can bombard them again! Maybe not everyone would think like that but most people would leave the moment they saw any sort of 'make a small effort before proceeding' notice.

I think the unavoidable truth is that ad blockers will become very popular, intelligent and they will work.

The same number of people will still want content and advertising (promotion and affiliation) will still be possible. However it will have to be done much more neatly as I commented earlier.

This will cut back on the volume of adverts on the net, not the amount that advertisers spend. If you have a fantastic site covering a topic such as sat navs, a site which is the last word in sat nav review, testing and comparison then you would be able to charge more than ever for affiliated links passing people on to the retailers sites at the end of each relevant article.

Thats a much better way of making money than a site plastered with random sat nav related content and google ads between each block of text.

So basically if you want to survive up your game. Be one of the best and most ingenious. Not ALL advertising will dissapear from the net, if 50% does then the laziest 50% of webmasters will take the hit and the others will adapt and continue to do well.

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: movietub Member since: Nov 6, 2008
  10. happyoutdoors

happyoutdoors UKBF Regular Free Member

122 20
    They will have go out with a loud hailer and shout at us instead, that won't work on the deaf though, doh!

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: happyoutdoors Member since: Jan 8, 2009
  11. KING Professional Photography

KING Professional Photography UKBF Ace Free Member

1,627 385
    if a user chooses to ignore your ad, thats up to them. If they choose to block them, then that should be sending you a message - they were not interested in the first place

Worst case scenario - they are going for the scrolbar, they miss, hit your ad and you get billed and the user gets even more anoyed

If users en-mass chose to block all ads, then it is sending a clear message to webmasters and people trying to make a buck - that is they aint interested in the adverts. it should be a blessing in disguise. The people that invest time and effort into sponsering and nurturing something properly, will benefit...the people that want to make a cent here and there will fall by the wayside - and the internet will benefit from richer, more useful content

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: KING Professional Photography Member since: Jun 30, 2009
  12. Phil_Rees

153 7
    Ok so let me ask a direct question.

In the case of our sites - www.townbuzz.info

We are using affiliate programmes such as commision junction and clixgalore to advertise CAREFULLY selected products as a backup in the areas where we do not have a sponsor for that section. Once we have the sponsors slots for that section filled (we limited the number per catergory) we no longer fall back onto third party software.

In addition we have to the right a rotating google box which is heavily filtered to ensure inappropiate content is not displayed - again as a boost to the managers administrating the sites income (not the core income).

Is that or is that not reasonable use of third party systems?

13. streetslocal

streetslocal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,046 363
    Sit down have a hot choclate and relax.
    Its nothing to worry about:D

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: streetslocal Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  14. Phil_Rees

153 7
    :) im relaxed, im just curious if people think what we are doing is excessive or not :)

15. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,561 266
    30 -pages in 2 days!

Don't want to be missing out on this thread.

Its gone viral.

Oh and the web is not fair on the newspapers and on it goes. Ad blocker may help them.

I use it - don't you just love the BBC - and interestingly realised I was missing out on some good info so now I mix browsers around.

Not fair on the first browsers that were pushed out by others and and and ..

Posted: Aug 15, 2009 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  16. Phil_Rees

153 7
    I know how to kick of a good debate ;)

17. Simon-M

Simon-M UKBF Ace Free Member

2,826 642
    Yes, start with something completely riddiculous and put it across as a sensible debate :) Keep flogging it to death until it can be flogged no more.

Just out of curiosity Phil, how many people do you have on your side of the debate should we be asking for a show of hands at this point?

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: Simon-M Member since: Nov 16, 2007
  18. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Dream on :D I honestly DO hate all those flashing banners so I use adblock for nice ad-free surfing. I think you have come to wrong place with this topic :D

Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  19. KING Professional Photography

KING Professional Photography UKBF Ace Free Member

1,627 385
    To be honest - I did not get that far. I clicked on the front page of the cited site, struggled to understand what the site was about, decided to stick with it (for the purpose of answering your question) - clicked on a few towns I know about - empty... Clicked on Dover (a town I know nothing about), and my screen was obscured with a massive overlay popup. There are advert things sliding in from all over the place etc. etc..

This is exactly the sort of site I usually dont give more than 3 seconds attention to, because if there is any relevant content for me, the effort required to get to it is to high

You can argue untill the cows come home that these ad block programs are removing your revenue stream. But your site model, does a pretty effective job of removing it for you - that is you are turning people away

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: KING Professional Photography Member since: Jun 30, 2009
  20. Phil_Rees

153 7

SUggest you do a little google research to find out how many are behind this campaign - and although not officially commeting including google and CNN ( I cant speak for them, only from snippets i have read researching this)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    Posted: Aug 16, 2009 By: Phil_Rees Member since: Jun 5, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.