Finding the right accountant

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by James M 1975, Jun 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAC

KAC UKBF Legend

1,529 368
    Your work is effectively regulated by a PB as the partners/directors of the firm that employs you are regulated and take responsibility for the work you carry out. This provides the clients with the comfort that the firm will have PI and satisfy professional standards

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 By: KAC Member since: May 7, 2017
  2. KAC

KAC UKBF Legend

1,529 368
    But at least the client has a body to whom to complain if the work is performed incompetently and the firm brings the profession into disrepute

3. UK Contractor Accountant

UK Contractor Accountant Verified Business ✔️

5,491 1,029
    just had my CPD audited for the 2018 calendar year by ACCA. Had to supply evidence of attendance at Courses etc

First time its been audited in 30 years +.

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. KAC

KAC UKBF Legend

1,529 368
    One of the complaints taken into consideration, while I was a member of the ACCA Regulatory and Disciplinary Panel, was failure to record or meet CPD requirements.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Legend

5,043 1,247
    When I had reason to complain about my accountant his professional body said they did not deal with complaints from clients, only other members!

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  6. KAC

KAC UKBF Legend

1,529 368
    That was complete rubbish. Most of the interesting cases that I sat on were complaints from clients. Certainly both ACCA and ICAEW have a procedure you need to follow to make a complaint. They don't hear fee disputes as they believe this is a matter best dealt with in court although ACCA do offer a mediation service

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Legend

5,043 1,247
    Well this was a fee dispute but it still seemed an odd decision. My accountant had made a number of mistakes and false assumptions about my business and submitted the accounts before I had the chance to check them. He needed to write a letter to IR, as it then was, to correct his mistakes. He said he would need to make a charge for writing the letter which I did not agree with but under pressure I agreed a fee for the letter. He then sent me a bill for SEVEN times the agreed figure. I thought that was very unethical and still do several decades later.

At the time I was a long-haired photographer but my ethics of dealing with my own mistakes were thousands of times better than my so called professional accountant.

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. KAC

KAC UKBF Legend

1,529 368
    More understandable if this happened several decades ago. When I started 10 years ago, we were dealing with a huge backlog of cases. They did appear to have got their act together when I finished my stint but I'm sure that Covid-19 will have put them on the back foot again as hearings are now held remotely and consequently there appear to be far fewer of them.

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 By: KAC Member since: May 7, 2017
  9. Alison Moore

Alison Moore Full Member

734 161
    It is a minefield... Phone a few up and arrange an appointments with them (although admittedly that will have to be telephone or virtual appointments at the mo). Then ask some questions but say that you want it explained in non accountancy terms. I've been in business for over 20 years and in all that time I have only found 1 accountant that I would class as competent and is able to answer every question without waffle and confusion. I even went on a 2 year AAT accountancy course so I could understand what on earth our previous accountants were on about.

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 By: Alison Moore Member since: Aug 4, 2016
  10. UK Contractor Accountant

5,491 1,029
    you get that Cambridge way I'm afraid;)

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
  11. Alison Moore

Alison Moore Full Member

734 161
    They were all in Dorset where we used to be based.

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 By: Alison Moore Member since: Aug 4, 2016
  12. UK Contractor Accountant

5,491 1,029
    say no more!

Posted: Jun 19, 2020 By: UK Contractor Accountant Member since: Sep 18, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.