Finance Seminar-Break Out

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by PaulThompson, Feb 19, 2019.

1. PaulThompson

PaulThompson UKBF Regular Free Member

394 43
    Hi
    I've been invited to speak at an upcoming business expo - The Northern Business Exhibition
    Rather than stand up for an hour and provide a very boring overview of the business lending landscape, my experience in it etc. I'd like to make the seminars informative and exciting.
    Can I ask the business owners on the forum for any thoughts
    I'm thinking that the 2 seminars will be around;
    • How small business owners can access the best funding options
    • Funding options for business purchase and startups
    I'd like the sessions to be as interactive as possible and am thinking of pulling a workbook together around the tenets of lending, the options out there so that the delegates can self-assess and understand that they will get funding somehow!
    Does anyone have any feedback on these ideas and what they would like to see covered?
    Many thanks
    Paul

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: PaulThompson Member since: May 27, 2010
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

29,825 8,775
    Do business owners even know they need funding?

Maybe a better option would be to show how funding can help to build a business and from there look at the options.

This is just a guess. Most of the people I know only even consider funding when they need extra cash rather than a way to build the business.

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

12,521 1,332
    Perhaps show what funding can do for a business. And what options are available.
    My business is somewhat seasonal so for me I'd want either very short term funding for say 3 months or else very long term low payments level funding. Either one to fund business growth. 3 months or 4 plus years. 12 months not worth it.

Think of the alternate lenders around now - amazon and paypal. I daresay there are others. Pros and cons of each type maybe for businesses?

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,788 1,280
    Very few businesses even consider the inorganic route to growth. A strapline saying you can show them how to grow their business 500% in the next 3 years ...might have them sitting up and paying attention ;)

Posted: Feb 19, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  5. PaulThompson

394 43
    Great points - thank you all, stuff I’d not have thought of there being “in it” all day!
    I’ll work some ideas out and come back for feedback if that’s ok?

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 By: PaulThompson Member since: May 27, 2010
  6. fisicx

29,825 8,775
    Business don't want funding. They want more business. Funding is just one tool to get more business. Other tools included business efficiencies, reduced costs, better marketing, improved product lines and so on.

Tell me how to get more bang for my buck.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. PaulThompson

394 43
    Excellent point!
    I can't give them more bang for their buck, but I can give them more bucks to make more bangs from!!

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 By: PaulThompson Member since: May 27, 2010
  8. fisicx

29,825 8,775
    Yes, but you need to explain why they need more bucks first.

A small engineering company with a turnover of £1M might need see any need for funding. A horse stud may have all the land they need along with stables and staff and be quite content. Your job is to show them how funding can improve their business.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,198 315
    You could try and educate people a bit about how not all debt is bad?
    Common perception is that business is better off if it doesn't have any debt and pays cash for everything. Demonstrate with a case study how leverage can result in different levels of growth rather than tying up capital in a single asset.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  10. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,198 315
    Personal experience though says that the people who attend this type of expo are those just starting in business, or thinking about starting in business. Consider the audience I suppose when you're figuring out what to discuss.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017