General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Feeding the trolls

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Silky, May 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silky

Silky UKBF Ace Full Member

1,170 210
    I've been visiting this forum on and off for a long while now and, having popped back in after a busy start to the year, can't believe the number of trolls, time wasters and just nonsense posters around - far more than previous.

Am I imagining this?
    Do the mods step in much to stop the rot?

It's a shame that something that can be such a valuable business resource can be so easily reduced to a mass of incomprehensible, inarticulate witterings

Silky

Posted: May 8, 2011 By: Silky Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  2. chris.quinn89

chris.quinn89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

320 17
    Couldn't agree more....

Sad really

Posted: May 8, 2011 By: chris.quinn89 Member since: Dec 11, 2008
  3. Working First Aid

Working First Aid UKBF Newcomer Free Member

467 76
    Aye, there does seem to be an increase lately, plus a lot of repetitive posts asking the same questions other posters have asked again and again... :|

Posted: May 8, 2011 By: Working First Aid Member since: Dec 20, 2010
  4. hmmm

hmmm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,722 127
    hmmm.
    interesting.

i like the word troll its articulate
    very nety/netie/nete

:D

Last edited: May 8, 2011
    Posted: May 8, 2011 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  5. FaerieB

FaerieB Banned

5,007 708
    Trolls are part of forum evolution :) x

Posted: May 8, 2011 By: FaerieB Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  6. mit74

mit74 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,429 444
    [​IMG]

Posted: May 8, 2011 By: mit74 Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  7. Silky

Silky UKBF Ace Full Member

1,170 210
    They don't have to be if the mods keep a keen eye out. They're tiresome and detract from the purpose of the forum. I'm not saying it has to be all warm and fluffy around here, but I just really fail to see why some people are on here purely to post complete drivel.

Silky

Posted: May 8, 2011 By: Silky Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  8. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,328 1,783
    Well your summing up FaerieB here :D

Posted: May 8, 2011 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  9. Antony Warnes

Antony Warnes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

64 11
    I'm a newbie here but a regular forum user - Trolls do seem to be everywhere!

Though I think the problem with the repeated posts or the same questions being asked repeatedly could be down to some slightly lazy moderating.

All that is needed is for the mod to link the poster to the thread which answers the question and then remove the thread and then we aren't all bothered by it.

I just hope that by saying this I don't evoke the wrath of the mods!

Posted: May 8, 2011 By: Antony Warnes Member since: May 8, 2011
  10. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,433 7,050
    In fairness, anyone could do what you suggest, that being to do a search and post it. We (mods) remove hundreds of spam and junk each day, sometimes it tops 1000 posts, and that is after the auto spam measures. Daily in fact hourly we are banning probably 2 or 3 spammers that haver got through the anti spam measures,. for example there are 2 posts removed from this thread, but of course, you don't see that. :(

We have a MASSIVE spam problem here, due to the authority of the site, we deal with it as best we can. and we ask members to report spam posts and not reply to them (although many decide it is fun to reply, including actually wuoting the post with the spam links in it). This makes the task of mederating the forum really difficult :(

Spam is a problem everywhere, and trolls are a problem on every forum. The trick is not to feed them, something many members here struggle with.

Posted: May 9, 2011 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  11. Parthelan

Parthelan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,483 1,269
    OR - how about the person in question does a search before hand ;)

Even that doesnt work though as well as it should because often information you may be after is hidden in a thread title called ''Help'' or '' What now'' or some such vaguery so searching thread titles wont always be the answer. If posters put the key words in the thread title it would help no end :D

Posted: May 9, 2011 By: Parthelan Member since: Dec 16, 2010
  12. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    I often edit titles for this very reason. The risk with doing this though is that those who have then posted can't find the old title of the thread and start a thread asking 'where has my thread gone, why have the **%^*&^£%** mods removed my thread :D

13. Antony Warnes

Antony Warnes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

64 11
    Some people will always assume they are the only person to have ever to have a particular problem...these people also tend to be the same ones who are too lazy to do a quick search before posting.

Maybe there needs to be a tick box that says that if the post is a request for help "I have searched for an answer before posting"...with serious consequences for misuse (maybe the mods will send them a double glazing salesman round!)

Oh and a quick apology to the mods for my previous post..having spent a few hours on here now this is a much bigger forum than some of the others I use and seems a much bigger target for junk postings etc!

Posted: May 9, 2011 By: Antony Warnes Member since: May 8, 2011
  14. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    Yes, it is. :)

Posted: May 9, 2011 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  15. Which Network

Which Network UKBF Regular Free Member

317 37
    What's a Troll :|

Posted: May 9, 2011 By: Which Network Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  16. tICG

tICG UKBF Newcomer Free Member

128 30
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. - Wikipedia

Posted: May 9, 2011 By: tICG Member since: Apr 30, 2011
  17. papverpoppies

papverpoppies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,713 2,214
    In a nutshell, if you cannot stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Compared to many forums, the mods (who may I remind fellow posters do this voluntary, as well as having their own business to run, and that little thing called - a life) do a brilliant job.

I think some people need to get around forum sites more, you cannot move on someone of them for spam, this site is basically clutter free, so the mods are not lazy they are in fact - doing a very good job.

You are never going to stop trolls, so either learn to live with them, or stop using forums.

Pops xx

Last edited: May 9, 2011
    Posted: May 9, 2011 By: papverpoppies Member since: Apr 8, 2009
  18. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    Also it is not easy trying to distinguish trolling from banter. There is in business and in life, banter, a bit of kidding, friendly winding up, which to some might appear to be trolling, but is in fact a joke between friends.

We try to keep the forum clean but we couldn't do it without the memebrs here who report bad posts. Just so you know, when a post is reported, we get an email within minutes. If I am sat at my desk, I immediately click the link to the report, read the report, click the link to the offending post, and deal with it.

Reporting posts really does make the forum a better place. :)

19. JohnLocke1

JohnLocke1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

450 163
    Also many people seem to think that if you disagree with them you are a Troll (what a stupid word by the way!).

One man's Troll is another man's unbiased and genuine advice provider.

All depends on people's sensitivities I guess, and being a business forum you would imagine they would be high.

Posted: May 9, 2011 By: JohnLocke1 Member since: Apr 12, 2011
  20. papverpoppies

papverpoppies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,713 2,214

I think that is what makes people stay with a forum, they get helpful advice, and they make friends along the way - as in life; some members 'hit it off' and friendly banter goes backwards and forwards.;)

Perhaps some class that as spam/trolling - who knows, but I would hate to see the politically correct brigade step in and stop what is after, just some light relief in an often depressing World.

Pops xx

Pops xx

Posted: May 9, 2011 By: papverpoppies Member since: Apr 8, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.