Fantastic new way to raise money for good causes

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Jill Poet, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePublisher

ThePublisher UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

945 210
    "In the promotional video I set out the business opportunity by reference to Peel2Save’s long track record of success in the US"

Except it wasn't Peel2Save's track record was it. It was just an idea he copied. We can all copy other people's business ideas, whether we get anything like their success is another matter completely.

Posted: Aug 1, 2012 By: ThePublisher Member since: Mar 4, 2007
  2. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,430 7,048
    and how are things down there?

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  3. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    And your point is? :|

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  4. ThePublisher

945 210
    Posting at 2.33am, is Peel2Save stopping you sleep?

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 By: ThePublisher Member since: Mar 4, 2007
  5. DotNetWebs

DotNetWebs UKBF Legend Full Member

5,014 1,001
    Bots never sleep. :)

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Aug 2, 2012 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  6. NotAnotherMug

NotAnotherMug UKBF Newcomer Free Member

47 26
    Did he copy it exactly or did he just do something that vaguely looked like it?

What's the betting that when Peel2Save is finally laid to rest after he's sold each area a few more times, the next Nigel Botterill/N5 'great idea' will have 'We launched Peel2Save in 2012 to benefit hundreds of charities and good causes across the UK', and forgetting to mention that it wasn't a success and nearly everyone involved lost money!

Or will it be consigned to the list of Botterill unmentionables like Quicky?

Whatever happens he'll keep flooding the internet with questionable success stories so that searches bring up page after page of his propaganda.

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
  7. ThePublisher

945 210
    No idea. All I know that is whatever NB cares to offer in future, I'll be keeping my hand firmly clamped across my wallet.

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 By: ThePublisher Member since: Mar 4, 2007
  8. NotAnotherMug

47 26
    Yeah, you might as well burn the money, as at least that gets it all over quickly and without the Nigel Botterill induced stress! :mad:

Posted: Aug 9, 2012 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
  9. ThePublisher

945 210
    Last week I received an email from one of his devotees who is trying to help Nigel achieve his target of getting 2012 new Entrepreneurs Circle members by the end of the Olympics............

Posted: Aug 9, 2012 By: ThePublisher Member since: Mar 4, 2007
  10. alinora20

alinora20 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    hello,

i have a series of great ideas and concepts with the help of this we can raise great amount of money in no time.

Regards
    Tadkanews
    :eek::cool:

Posted: Aug 9, 2012 By: alinora20 Member since: Aug 9, 2012
  11. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend Full Member

5,994 1,017
    O when will people learn that *most* franchises are sold on unproven business models, setup purely to make the franchisor a pot of cash.

I remember some guy on TV a few years back coining it in selling 'exclusive' territories to punters for some hare-brain security franchise. They are filming this guy, some poor punter phones up and enquires on the availability of his 'local' area. The guy puts the phone down for a second, leans back in his chair, draws on his cigarette, picks up the phone and goes 'Yep thats available'.

These 'exclusive' territories are a joke. O and btw cant remember the guy on telly but he got banged up in the end.

Posted: Aug 9, 2012 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  12. NotAnotherMug

47 26
    I've heard the same rumour from two different sources about an out-of-court settlement for someone who broght a London TBO site after being persuaded by the figures of a certain 'Master Class' east London site.

Old TBO people will know which site I'm referring to, and the possibility of more to come is quite high, apparantly :)

Posted: Aug 17, 2012 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
  13. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    I recently set up a new service providing free cartoons for charities and worthy causes .

An image can speak a thousand words...

Cartoons For Causes is a non-profit making service which supports valuable charities and worthy causes by providing cartoons that they and their supporters can use to get their messages across, raise awareness and promote their services.

Posted: Sep 7, 2012 By: iArtist Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  14. popunder

popunder UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

667 171
    Trying to avoid the fate of the UKWebsaver guys perhaps: http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....air-unmasked/story-14389786-detail/story.html

"They had an impressive website – pictures of themselves in black ties at awards dos, testimonials from other satisfied franchisees.

But that’s the thing with a good fraudster. You don’t know you’re being had until it’s too late. Until it’s over. Until your money is lining their pockets.

The loyalty card scheme was, they pledged, a tried-and-trusted business model.

It was nothing of the sort. Businesses were not interested in the scheme. Franchisees couldn’t sell the cards.

The scheme didn’t work."

Sounds similar to this Peel2Save thing.

Posted: Sep 13, 2012 By: popunder Member since: Mar 5, 2008
  15. NotAnotherMug

47 26
    Looks like the Aussies have more sense at http://www.thebestof.com.au/national/australia/home/townlist.aspx

Only 19 sites listed (so only 19 people didnt do their homework), and most of those have no advertisers or very few. This is after a major effort by Nigel Botterill to sell the failed concept down under.

I feel sorry for the people who fell for it, but its not as though there was no information about N5 and their methods available online.

Posted: Sep 24, 2012 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
  16. Shirty Girl

Shirty Girl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

31 1
    Hello all,

I came across Peel2Save (and this thread) while researching something else. While I understand it's a scam, I think the concept has potential and I want to know if anyone agrees with me.

I run a consultancy making corporate social responsibility (CSR) accessible to smaller businesses and helping them benefit from it. As part of that I broker relationships between local businesses and community groups (e.g. charities) for mutual benefit.

It seems to me that the P2S model ticks this box and I am interested in giving it a go. I thought that this would be a good place to canvass opinion as you are aware of it and many of you seem cynical to start off with, which I think is a useful bias.

This is how my scheme would work:
    - I would 'sign up' local charities. I would offer them a percentage of each card sold. The % would start low to cover my costs but would increase with sales.
    - Each card sold would clearly represent an individual charity i.e. it would be branded. The income generated from the sale of any individual card would go to that charity (or the agreed %).
    - I would encourage the charity to sell those cards themselves and I would give them support to do that. Part of this support would be fitting the card into any existing fund-raising & comms strategies that they have.
    - Once I had a charity on-board, I would approach businesses who I consider would benefit from a strategic partnership with that charity. An obvious strategic link would be a toy shop and a children's charity.
    - I would be asking the business to provide a discount and in return they get free advertising via the card, a positive association with a local charity and, as a result, increased sales.
    - In addition, I would be likely to be carrying out 'broad brush' marketing & PR around the scheme and they would benefit from this.
    - The discount could vary from business to business but would need to be set at a level which made the overall value of the card more than the overall cost to the consumer.
    - Each card would feature 10 businesses (and one charity).
    - Each card would cost £10 (say).
    - The cost of producing the cards would be mine.

I must stress I'm in business so I would expect to get a return from this! I would also want to achieve a certain amount of up-sell in the form of additional business form either the charity or the company e.g. develop a fund-raising strategy or write bespoke PR.

My card would only feature 10 companies which is much less ambitious than P2S! I think a card with only 10 discounts can still offer value to the consumer. I also think that this lets me me to make the strategic link which offers real value to the businesses and charity.

I would be grateful for comments. I will canvass charities for their opinions on another forum.

Many thanks,

Helen

P.S. Does anyone have an actual P2S card that they can send me. If yes, please PM me.

Posted: Mar 28, 2013 By: Shirty Girl Member since: Aug 4, 2008
  17. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,036 1,537
    As someone who works extensively with charities, I would say there are a lot of easier ways for charities to make money, so can't really see the benefit for them to participate in your scheme.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    Posted: Mar 28, 2013 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  18. ThePublisher

945 210
    £10 for ten offers is a non-starter in my opinion, unless the discounts are staggeringly good and for big ticket items. I'm not going to get excited about paying you £10 to get 10% discount off my next pizza for example.

There are so many sites (Groupon and others) offering huge discounts at no cost to me, why would I pay a tenner for your card when probably 7 of the things on it are of no interest to me and perhaps I can negotiate the same or better discount direct with your retailer?

This has always struck me as a piss-poor concept and I've yet to be convinced otherwise.

Posted: Mar 28, 2013 By: ThePublisher Member since: Mar 4, 2007
  19. PeopleWatcher

PeopleWatcher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

153 32
    Shouldn't all genuine Gurus be fullly paid up members of The Guru Trade Members Association, and all incidental to their work; have authority to work, reside and stay in Britain, and able to give give written undertakings not to break their Passport Visa Condtions, or create further problems for the UK Border Patrol Agencies.

I can remember when the Beatle hired a Guru, a Maharajah or something who certainly looked the part by wearing a turban, flowing robes and for good measure he had the red painted spot on his forehead - which I assumed then and still do, was to suggest he was a Red Spot Guru Badge Holder, and Guru of higher rank. I heard he got a Rolls Royce out of the deal, borrowed £500 000 in cash to further his work, and went on to introduced John Lennon to pottery (the smoking thereof) the same with Sting, who discovered an highly delightful PYGMY Guru in the Amazon, This man was a primitive by day, and a card sharp at night, who over a period of some months outwitted Sting to the tune of £250 000. On enquiry both these men, all 1.5 of them, were not real Gurus, and we need to be more vigilant in picking who we appoint as our Guru, and not to rely on The Nigerian Times too much when we pick candidates for high office.

Posted: Mar 28, 2013 By: PeopleWatcher Member since: Jul 14, 2012
  20. PeopleWatcher

PeopleWatcher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

153 32

Helen, railway lines are welded together to make train journeys smoother, less tiring, and quieter. Look at your idea and scam (sorry meant to say scheme) as a railway lane with a lot of holes and great big gaps between the rails, through which your train business will fall and crash.

Here's some tough news tips: Do not reply on people, for instance you can easily appoint 100 card sellers, from whom only 8 will be any good, and between these 8 ever so honest hopefuls they will sell in 2 days just 40 cards, four of them will promptly dissapear with the money taken, and all 8 will quit within 3 days. Of the other '92' /100 you will never hear from them again, nor will they send you back your cards, badges, stationary, nor take your calls. By day 4 (Thursday/the fourth) your disheartened and bust. And as for shops and businesses you approach they all have a bogus list of good excuses to get rid off you such has: "Our Mrs Goldie Zebra handles all requests like this, and she is in Guyana for the next 4 months - so will you call `back then", or, " we already have our favourite charities picked out for this year, so do call us back in 2015. Helen, may I ask you to buy a cheap paperback $5.00 book on Amazon and memorise whats inside it, it's called The Willie Sutton Biography', sub-title, 'Because that's where the money is', and either be more realistic or buy a gun. Another better book was called The Peachtree, and it'sall about Hetty Green of NY, please study Hetty it will do you a lot of good. Lots of Love and Best Wishes. From all Of us here at the North Pole. .

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
    Posted: Mar 28, 2013 By: PeopleWatcher Member since: Jul 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.