Fantastic new way to raise money for good causes

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Jill Poet, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DotNetWebs

DotNetWebs UKBF Legend Full Member

5,014 1,001
    That's the last thing that should be done IMO because this thread currently gives something to think about for anybody thinking of buying into one of these franchises.

i.e it is have exactly the opposite effect of an 'ad'.

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  2. GeorgeStrait

GeorgeStrait Banned

1,369 470
    Would that be a "bad" then?

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 By: GeorgeStrait Member since: Jun 4, 2011
  3. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    No one is going to read all the posts in this thread which has already been read over £10,000+ times. It is working great as an 'ad'.

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 By: iArtist Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  4. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    Can tell you're new :p

I pay for the links in my signature and they're in accordance with forum rules, the Op's Ad isn't. Maybe you should read the rules?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2011
    Posted: Aug 6, 2011 By: iArtist Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  5. DotNetWebs

5,014 1,001
    Don't you think that somebody who is going to invest a few grand in this franchise might spend a bit a couple of minutes reading through the thread to see what they might be getting into? :|

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  6. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,328 1,783
    Yes exactly dotty.

Posted: Aug 6, 2011 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  7. NotAnotherMug

NotAnotherMug UKBF Newcomer Free Member

47 26
    We are all ears. Did N5 manage it the second time around?

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
  8. kudoscars

kudoscars UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    That is a very good idea to raise funds for the needy people. I really appreciate it.
    kudoscars.co.uk

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 By: kudoscars Member since: Aug 6, 2011
  9. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Actually no, I don't think you do. Close the door on the way out.

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  10. NotAnotherMug

47 26
    From the deafening silence I suppose we can presume that N5 performed a miracle and got all 400 Peel2Save franchisors labels printed correctly and on time, and delivered them on the date promised.

Call me a cynic, but I don't believe that happened.

Posted: Aug 15, 2011 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
  11. NotAnotherMug

47 26
    Just had a look at a few of Nigel Botterill's other businesses.

An awful lot of thebestof's are being run by N5 again, even after the sales push.

And even though they boasted of selling thebestof Liverpool for £1,200 only a few months ago, it looks like that person has already gone!

As Liverpool was originally 3 sites costing £36,000 each I think that just about sums up either how attractive the businesses look, or how many people are avoiding N5 and Nigel Botterill's reputation.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
    Posted: Aug 20, 2011 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
  12. MASSEY

10,328 1,783
    They were selling the franchise lease of the site at 36k a year?

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  13. DotNetWebs

5,014 1,001
    That was the fee to buy the franchise but there were also monthly fees that were hundreds of pounds a month.

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  14. MASSEY

10,328 1,783
    I'm astounded this company won "innovative business of the year 2008".

And even more so that some of the dragons den chaps seem to have been supportive of it.

Seems like a bunch of rich guys milking their franchise victims to me.

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  15. NotAnotherMug

47 26
    If by Dragon's Den guys being supportive you mean the picture of Nigel Botterill and Duncan Bannatyne, it's actually when Nigel received the Sharp Edge award for best e-Business in 2007.

Most of Botterill's franchisee's will smile a wry smile at the fact that it was N5 that got the award for making the most money in a short space of time, rather than thebestof being successful.

Nothing changes.

Posted: Aug 20, 2011 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
  16. PhatChef

PhatChef UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I'm glad I did a google search and read this thread, I'm not interested in being associated with a dodgy scheme even if it offers "free" publicity!!:p

Posted: Aug 23, 2011 By: PhatChef Member since: Aug 23, 2011
  17. Why All The Fuss?

Why All The Fuss? UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 21
    Hello again - been on holiday for a few weeks (can you ever really have a holiday when you run your own business?) - and forgot about the thread until a couple of you guys pestered me via PM for an update :)

Soooo....

By the sounds of it another 40 made the next print run, so 90 "mugs/idiots/muppets" now have cards out there.

There will definitely be some successes, but OMG some of the people who bought into this are the dumbest people I have encountered and would struggle to run the raffle at the christmas do, let alone raise lots of money for their own pockets and local causes.

Want my good news? We have 1200 cards out there in the wild with over 900 actually sold since 4th August through only two causes so far:

900 x £5 = £4,500 raised for good causes in 20 days (Solihull was over 1,200 cards sold in the first month so we are closing in on that).

That's also £4,500 in my sky rocket if you still think we make £5 per card, or in real terms more like £1,200 net after printing and costs plus TAX, which will reduce over time as all the initial stuff like pull-up banners etc. will last a while.

Every business on the card and the two charities currently selling them in their shops and at events etc. (plus the others in the pipeline) are fully aware that we will be making anywhere up to £3 per card that they sell (or we sell on their behalf) and so far we have not had one person begrudge us that sum (even though it will probably be more like £2 before tax long term).

We are providing them the pull-up banners, horizontal banners, window stickers, deliveries, paperwork etc. so all they literally have to do is sell the card (causes) or accept the vouchers (businesses).

There's my update, feel free to rip it apart. I am smiling, our first two charities are smiling, non of our businesses on the cards have complained about anything (we speak to them at least weekly) but you will of course find something.

PS. I still haven't read the forum rules... sry.

PhatChef, which part of it is actually "dodgy"? There is no con or fraud involved. The marketing and the card clearly say that the selling price is £10 and £5 of that goes to charity. It isn't rocket science to figure out that the rest goes to someone else who is making money.

If you buy a red nose for Comic Relief do you really believe that a company making red noses is doing it for free, or that shops aren't getting something for selling them? Lol.

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 By: Why All The Fuss? Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  18. Why All The Fuss?

Why All The Fuss? UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 21
    Every time I see the picture of Botterill with Duncan Bannatyne I get the feeling that DB is thinking "Who is this irritating c$$$?"

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 By: Why All The Fuss? Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  19. DotNetWebs

5,014 1,001
    900 cards is quite impressive.

Out of interest which where the two charities that sold them for you?

And what marketing by yourselves / them was used to acheive this?

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Aug 24, 2011 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  20. NotAnotherMug

47 26
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like you are doing things properly and that you'll make some good money for the charities and for yourself. But how many out of the claimed 400 people who've signed up for this have your level of expertise and commitment? If, as you say, N5 have accepted unsuitable people (no surprise there given their history) then I suspect not very many at all.

So in other words, a reasonable idea for creating money will be shipwrecked and the brand diluted over the coming months because of Nigel Botterill's complete inability to follow through and his short-sighted obsession for accepting anybody with a pulse and a wallet.

Your instinct is good, as you've recognized the potential of this and have the business contacts and experience to take advantage of it, but from your past comments we know you also have no illusions about Peel2Save as run by N5.

I'm interested to know why there were only another 40 people who managed to get cards? Was this the expected FUBAR by N5 or are people having real problems getting enough companies or charities interested in it?

Posted: Aug 25, 2011 By: NotAnotherMug Member since: May 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.