Fantastic new way to raise money for good causes

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Jill Poet, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jill Poet

Jill Poet UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 2
    A new concept called Peel 2 Save (dot co dot uk) has been launched in the UK that has been working brilliantly in the US for several years. It has a mission to raise in excess of £2.5million for good causes (charities, schools, sports clubs, community groups, volunteering organisations etc.) in the next 12 months.

Basically, appropriate businesses (mostly food outlets) advertise special offers which are placed as peel offs on a card that folds up to credit card size. The cards are then sold by good causes for £10: they get £5, the customer gets £100s of special offers and the business is being promoted for free!

It really is one of those rare WIN WIN situations.;)

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: Jill Poet Member since: Jun 15, 2011
  2. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Do you have a personal interest in this?

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  3. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Can anybody explain what`s going on - I`ve seen massive boom in charities lately. They appear like mushrooms after heavy rain. Something similar to housing boom in 2007. They knock on the doors, they get you on high street, posters, expensive advertising on TV channels etc. What`s the truth behind all this?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  4. Jill Poet

14 2
    I am not involved at national level but I am looking after the Southend-on-Sea area

5. Jill Poet

14 2
    Rob, I don't necessarily think they are new charities. Most of them have probably been around for a long time but most have had their core funding cut and are absolutely desperate to raise funds to continue the good work they are doing so they've come out of the closet!

Hence my excitement about Peel 2 Save.

6. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,433 7,050
    Marketing companies have realised they can make a LOT of money by tagging onto the shirt tails of the third sector. They have beceom far more aggressive as a result with their 'workers' earning a healthy living. The downside is that these high earnings have now attracted the double glazing canvasser types, and a simple walk through town has now become a minefield.

I am campaigning to make it illegal to be stopped in the street by anyone trying to sell or canvass you for any reason. I can stop people mailing me, I can stop them from telephoning me, yet I am 'fair game' while out walking through town.

Last year I was with my wife, we were going to the registrars to register the death of her mother. we got accosted in the street by a guy, I told him no thanks, he continued to harass us refusing to leave us alone. I telephoned the police immediately. Since then I have been looking at getting this practice outlawed, and also the same with cold calling to my home.. Our local authority refuse to allow no cold calling zones as they say they can't be policed.

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  7. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Do you earn commission or a salary?

8. Jill Poet

14 2
    I totally agree that this sort of aggressive canvassing is unacceptable. One of my pet hates is these sign up for a direct debit to xxx charity. If you did that every time someone asked you would end up paying a fortune!

The other side is, the genuine volunteers raising money for a local charity with a tin in the local supermarket etc have to sit there quietly, not making eye contact or rattling their tins.

I don't think the public should be harassed, but I do think genuine people should be allowed to just create awareness of what they are doing.

Goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.

9. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    Here in the US, you don't see people walking the street collecting. Whether that's because of some law or other, I don't know. On the other hand, local petrol stations, churches, schools, etc. allow teenagers to offer hand car-washing for a donation. They stand holding banners, jumping up and down to get the attention of passing drivers. It's a popular way to raise funds for the school band or sports team. Also, some stores will allow boy or girl scouts, at their main entrance, to sell biscuits, popcorn, etc. to raise funds. Stores also give the Salvation Army permission to collect at Christmastime.

In these cases, it seems that it's the local businesses that decide who, on their property, can raise money for charity.

Jill - are there particular charities that you support, or do you offer a service to help any local charity?

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  10. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

2,644 326
    Few days ago there was disgusting advert on TV showing african kids and people in very poor condition. Why on earth they would show such a horrible things? That doesn`t make me want to donate at all, but switch a channel. There must be age restriction on such things.

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  11. Cornish Steve

14,858 2,117
    That wine sipped by the pool don't seem as appetizing when there's an 'awful' picture on TV of a starving, malaria-infected child with a bloated stomach. Can't these pictures be swept under the carpet? :rolleyes:

The price of a pint of beer can buy a mosquito net that can save a child's life. In some places, a hungry family can survive about a month on food costing the price of a pack of cigarettes. Having traveled extensively to Third World countries, I can't stop myself pricing everything I buy in terms of such things. My children get so frustrated because I won't allow them to buy sweets or cards or any other unnecessary item. Hopefully, though, they understand why.

As you can tell, I'm all for more, not less, information about the plight of the world's needy. Let's force ITV to play these 'disgusting' adverts between adverts for luxury holidays, jewellery, lavish food items, and other expensive and discretionary purchases. It may emphasize our culture's hypocrisy even more. "But for the grace of God, there go I."

12. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    No watershed age restriction on factual programming. I agree, I donate when and where I can, adn i am happy to pitch in a do something for nothing, but I value my privacy and my own personal space. I will go out of my way to put money in a tin rattlers box if I feel it is deserved. i.e. Dementia, cancer care nurses, animal welfare, disabled & mentally ill, or anything that helps getting kids off the street such as organised sports etc.

But I won't be doing with these professional 'fundraisers' who get paid a recurring commission on my direct debit.

13. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    added Oxfam spend about 10% of their income on governance and admin. that runs to about £21m. I have no issue with that, I think it is fair.

14. allsquare

allsquare UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

571 39
    We live in a no cold calling zone and still get 'door knockers'; charities (professional fundraisers), telecommunications, utilities etc and they will happily argue the fact that they are not cold calling as they are not selling anything and providing homeowners with 'information' :mad:

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: allsquare Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  15. OldWelshGuy

20,433 7,050
    then call the police and report a possible distraction burglary!

16. allsquare

allsquare UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

571 39
    Nice idea ;)

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: allsquare Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  17. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    So, can you tell us if you earn commission or a salary?

(My pet hate is charities who pay people to canvas for them and a large part of any money donated goes to the wrong place.)

Also, my wife and I celebrated our Ruby Wedding in March. The invitations told people not buy any presents but that they would be given the opportunity to donate to two charities, Smile Train and CHAS. We raised £800 so they each got £400. Since then the Smile Train charity has been sending us expensive promotional material, CDs and other stuff in an effort to make us give them more.

This is very annoying and it has made me think twice about donating any more to them. You get thanked for a £400 donation by being asked for more?

18. Cornish Steve

14,858 2,117
    Congratulations. That's quite an achievement in this day and age.

19. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Cheers Steve - isn't it quite an achievement in any day and age? :D:redface:

20. FaerieB

FaerieB Banned

5,007 708
    What seriously can be policed nowadays OWG? :| x

Posted: Jun 21, 2011 By: FaerieB Member since: Apr 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.