Fake UK sellers (china) on eBay scam?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Worzel, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beachbum

Beachbum UKBF Contributor Free Member

68 18
    I see tamebay have followed up the article

http://tamebay.com/2014/11/daily-mi...vading-sellers-on-ebay-uk.html#comment-125175

I also see that some of the eBayer highlighted in the article have put VAT numbers on their listing now - none are registered to their company names - they are registered to UK companies and individuals - I hope these people are prepared for a big VAT bill

BTW all the people highlighted in the article all admitted they were not VAT registered when asked for a VAT invoice......

Posted: Nov 25, 2014 By: Beachbum Member since: Jul 12, 2014
  2. Beachbum

68 18
    Posted: Dec 5, 2014 By: Beachbum Member since: Jul 12, 2014
  3. theglowhouse

theglowhouse UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    I'm not sure how relevant this is, but I noticed this from Amazon a couple of days back when logging into the seller central as their main headline:
    Important information about new UK tax legislation
    17 Feb 2015
    Under new UK tax legislation, HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) may, upon request, oblige Amazon to disclose to HMRC data we hold in relation to sellers with a potential UK tax liability. The data request may include seller contact information and transaction data.

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 By: theglowhouse Member since: Jul 2, 2013
  4. Beachbum

68 18
    Posted: Jul 29, 2015 By: Beachbum Member since: Jul 12, 2014
  5. Beachbum

68 18
    Posted: Oct 19, 2015 By: Beachbum Member since: Jul 12, 2014
  6. Steve_g

Steve_g UKBF Regular Free Member

194 25
    I would love to help out with this, my company has been trading for many years on eBay and had to deal with this issue alot. we are pretty much the top seller in out category and currently turn over about 1m on eBay annually - i think we can input alot.

I cant DM Simon on twitter directly, does anyone have a contact email for him?

Kind regards,

Steve

Posted: Oct 21, 2015 By: Steve_g Member since: Jun 19, 2012
  7. benny van halen

benny van halen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 2
    Fight back against these Chinese sellers falsely claiming 'item location' is UK - and get free stuff while doing so! This has worked for me on several occasions now and I have profited rather well from it.

If the seller states the 'item location' displays 'UK' but you have reason to believe it is not - e.g. further down on the item description wording, Chinese sellers may (or may not) state item will be shipped from China - when you purchase the item and it gets delivered to you (usually weeks later, rather than days), you can often see from the parcel that the item has been shipped to you internationally, then you have grounds to claim misrepresentation of the offer. Not misrepresentation of the product; of the overall offer. The offer is the eBay advert that includes where the item is located and is being shipped from.

When disputing the purchase, I stated to the seller and eBay that I was not happy (aside from the principle of being lied to) for environmental reasons, the item being shipped across the planet. In fact, no justification for a return is necessary really, when it is clearly misrepresentation on the advert.

Chinese sellers try to wriggle out of it by stating there wording about item being shipped from China further down the wording in their advert, but eBay deems this as irrelevant, if the seller sets the 'item location' field to anything other than the truth.

Even if your parcel doesn't have Chinese shipping labels on it, I believe eBay can still make out where it was shipped from, using courier tracking info. Another tactic I use is to simply contact the seller once your item has arrived and ask them if the item was shipped from China, they usually say yes, and that evidence can then be shown to eBay.

If you want to try this, my advice to you is order one item advertised is being located in the UK and once it has arrived and you have any evidence it has come from China - place a second order of higher quantity. Wait for that second batch to arrive. Only then do you raise both cases, demanding a full refund.

The seller may ask for you to return the items to China but as they have to pay the returns shipping (expensive), depending on the value of the goods ordered, they may write them off and you get a refund and the goods.

In one case, my seller paid for and sent me a returns shipping label. However, the label displayed a 'use-by' date on it which gave me only a two-day window to get to the post office to return it. I argued with eBay that two days was not reasonable, given I work office hours. Also, eBay states that you have approx two weeks to return the item, which is not in-line with typical shipping label expiry dates. In short, even if they send you a returns label, think laterally and explore your non-compliant options!

Apologies for the long post but I hate the injustice of these sellers getting away with it. Don't cry about eBay though. Fight back. Turn this negative into a positive. Do a test purchase and follow the steps above. If it works out, increase the quantity and order more. Instant karma and free stuff.

Posted: Jun 16, 2016 By: benny van halen Member since: Jun 16, 2016
  8. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,378 603
    Or just order stuff & say it didn't arrive! (as they seldom use signed for)

Posted: Jun 16, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  9. benny van halen

benny van halen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 2
    @Pish_Pash: I like that approach, its certainly simpler - but you miss out on the chance to really rub the seller's face in it by letting them know you've got the item(s) but you're not going to pay.

Posted: Jun 17, 2016 By: benny van halen Member since: Jun 16, 2016
  10. Pish_Pash

2,378 603
    To be clear, I've not done this (nor would I)...but as an online seller, I can report that the technique certainly seems to have been adapted by most of Italy.

Posted: Jun 17, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  11. 14Steve14

14Steve14 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

706 114
    @Pish_Pash: I take it you are having, or have had problems with Italians.

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 By: 14Steve14 Member since: May 18, 2010
  12. Pish_Pash

2,378 603
    Everyone does.... I'm not sure if it's their postmen pilfering or whether it's part of the Italian psyche "something for nothing" - either way, post items un-tracked to Italy at your peril.

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  13. beasty

beasty , Full Member - Verified Business

2,105 521
    The Italian postal service is terrible, i have had many things go missing

Posted: Jun 21, 2016 By: beasty Member since: Feb 4, 2013
  14. beasty

beasty , Full Member - Verified Business

2,105 521
    Two reasons why the postal service in Italy is awful

1. Deliveries are done on scooters, with open baskets of letters and parcels, frequently seen unattended

not that this matters because

2. Lots of packages and bills are left in plain view as letterboxes into the actual property do not exist, so people have mailboxes and if its a parcel, it will just be put inside a garden fence or on a terrace in plain view.

If you ever want to collect a bunch of free stuff, just wander around behind the chap or chappess on the scooter

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    Posted: Jun 21, 2016 By: beasty Member since: Feb 4, 2013
  15. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,319 573
    The Internet is still like the Wild West in many ways. So many scams, hoaxes, fakes etc. etc.

What do you mean "our own economy"? Surely eBay is American and their business plan is to make profit for themselves, not to boost the economy?

Ebay doesn't care if you can make a profit or not, they only care that they make a profit, which they will as long as customers buy and are happy. If enough customers complained about receiving things from China then they would do more to stop it.

Posted: Jun 22, 2016 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  16. klicnow

klicnow UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    This has been happening on ebay for years, and i have complained many times.but they are not interested, as they get their fees either way. Same with amazon, however if you create too much they threaten closure of your account.. so there,s nothing much one can do, except offer service, quick delivery and if necessary a good returns policy..thats the only thing china cannot compete with.

Posted: Jun 22, 2016 By: klicnow Member since: Feb 29, 2012
  17. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,705 720
    Yep, you pays your money and takes your chances.

They are strong aggressive US corporations who do not care about you with the single exception of providing functionality that puts some of your money in their pocket.

A bit like our banks :rolleyes:

Posted: Jun 23, 2016 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.