Fake UK sellers (china) on eBay scam?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Worzel, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. photowriter

photowriter UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I am an investigative photojournalist (35 years ) and have been looking into this for some time now. I have read the comments above and noted many. I am keen to know the ebay names of any large traders. I have already collected quite a number and wish to collect a few more big ones. As a matter of interest I am very keen to see these matters exposed and try to prevent this illegal and destructive practice. I will let you know of the final report and where it is sent. Any information is accepted on the basis of strict confidence.
    Thank you.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: photowriter Member since: Jan 31, 2014
  2. photowriter

3 0
    Hello.I have now read all of the above posts. Interesting. I understand your frustration and annoyance.
    Since 1986 I have been following a certain story.Yes that long ago. There is a purpose to get rid of small business from the high street, and now internet. Sadly you have all been trying to help, but not knowing how the system or the media work it has been to no avail. The Daily Mail for example was not a good choice, at least not if you do not know the right desk ! Its a complex and often silly world the press. I know I have been a freelance long enough and I still don't understand them sometimes !
    I tried to post my details here, but I have to make lots of posts first before that will be permitted. I will try here; cassandra01 at hush mail dot c o m You have to join them up of course. I offer total anonymity to anyone who might be able to provide more details I am running out of time and have already copied and made screen grabs of hundreds of things on ebay. I have been talking to HMRC who are listening. Also a national paper I can trust. There are of course newspapers in other parts of the world and I have provided news to many of them over the years. More than one way to skin a cat as they say. Good luck to all

Posted: Feb 5, 2014 By: photowriter Member since: Jan 31, 2014
  3. photowriter

3 0
    You may wish to know current investigations reveal even more than suspected. Thanks to those who have provided advice. I am very soon about to blow the lid off this. UK business people and indeed those in Europe and even China ( the ones who play by the rules ) all lose out. So any more help gratefully received . I never quit until the truth is out. And those in power know that !

Posted: Apr 26, 2014 By: photowriter Member since: Jan 31, 2014
  4. UKVATFRAUD

UKVATFRAUD UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    £20 million a year is just the tip of the iceberg, try £20 million a day from thousands of registered users on ebay and Amazon.

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 By: UKVATFRAUD Member since: Jan 7, 2014
  5. UKVATFRAUD

10 0
    Let’s hope you can blow the lid of this one as more and more legal UK companies are setting up in Hong Kong for a charge of £1500.00 to avoid the VAT in the UK and EU, this way you are of the radar of HMRC

Posted: Apr 28, 2014 By: UKVATFRAUD Member since: Jan 7, 2014
  6. FrayB

FrayB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 0
    Has anybody got any further with this? this situation has been getting worse and worse in my category over last year, im very willing to take part in any group action that people might be setting up and have the time to contribute

Regards
    Simon

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 By: FrayB Member since: May 1, 2014
  7. dooyoo

dooyoo UKBF Contributor Free Member

68 3
    How about we could:
    Take our government to court for not doing it's job (we pay taxes, their wages for certain services to be implemented in UK, or not treating everyone the same way.)
    or
    We gather up and "fight fire with fire" dress up like fake HMRC agents and trading standards agents and go confiscate goods and destroy them. Look at fake Britain tv show. It is pretty simple and would be very effective. Get some uniforms, radios and fake id cards and go raid those places.

Or we just simply invade those warehouses with force and destroy their goods, can be done at night when no one is there. I do not think criminals call police for help.

If we get in trouble, we came back with a claim that UK government is not doing anything and we are desperate to take such an action and blame it all on government.

Yeah I know, I am not the smartest guy when it comes to leave unanimous comments on internet.
    LOL

Posted: Sep 9, 2014 By: dooyoo Member since: Jul 6, 2013
  8. Beachbum

Beachbum UKBF Contributor Free Member

68 18
    Does anyone want to go on the record about this with a National Paper - if you do please direct message me?

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 By: Beachbum Member since: Jul 12, 2014
  9. theglowhouse

theglowhouse UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    Absolutely, why not... you can contact me on Theglowhouse at hot mail co UK

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 By: theglowhouse Member since: Jul 2, 2013
  10. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 621
    I actually wrote to George Osborne's secretary the other day about this...got a standard email saying that unless it was constituency business, that I should write to the treasury on [email protected] ...so i did. I received a pleasant reply (not automated) saying she'd ensure folks at the Treasury were made aware. here's what I wrote (it was lashed together, should have taken more time, but hey ho I was miffed & short on time!)...

"Hello,

I run a small online retail business….the amount of VAT avoidance by (mainly) overseas sellers on the two largest market places (Ebay/Amazon) is simply jaw dropping. I propose one simple change, but it will raise billions for the UK treasury….

Make Amazon, Ebay deduct VAT at source for all sales made on their marketplace for all overseas sellers (business sellers).

At the moment, overseas sellers are all meant to be registered for VAT in the UK (because there’s no VAT threshold like there is for UK businesses), but VAT avoidance/fraud is being carried out on a truly massive scale. By making the large marketplaces (Ebay & Amazon), deduct VAT at source, there can be no avoiding it. This has two wins….

1. The UK Treasury gets literally billions in revenue presently ‘trousered’ by the overseas seller

2. It levels out the playing field for those of us here in the UK who are paying VAT on our sales – I can’t compete on price against overseas sellers who can always undercut me (because they aren’t handing over 20% VAT to HMRC)

This has ‘win win’ written all over it….the likes of Amazon & Ebay aren’t held in the highest of regards amongst the general public….making them do their fair share of work wrt collecting tax revenues at source will have mass appeal! It needn’t be an onerous burden for such marketplaces ….Amazon in particular collect payment from customers first then deduct their fees before finally sending the proceeds to the seller, in this day & age of computer automation, it would simply need a rule added to their payment system ‘if seller is not based in the UK, deduct VAT from sale proceeds before sending balance to seller’ ….job done! Kerching."

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  11. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,407 650
    All these investigative journalists posting in this thread and not one article published so far. You'd think if everyone knew all about this, and the evidence was there for everyone to see if only they just looked, it'd be all over the news by now.

Posted: Nov 17, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  12. UKVATFRAUD

10 0
    Unfortunately even if a major paper published this story nothing will change as the Uk public will still buy goods from eBay and Amazon via VAT avoiding Asian companies because they are cheaper. The 20% tax avoidance makes a big difference when buying from these sites. HMRC are not stupid, they know how it works but with such large scale fraud it will take them decades to clean up. So they almost turn a blind eye to it. The only option is to get eBay and Amazon to collect the revenue from source i.e. the sellers. But this can be difficult as many Chinese sellers in the UK have got hundreds of registered accounts to many different names making it almost impossible.

On a recent visit to China to visit our suppliers the owners of the company laughed at how easy it was to set up and distribute in the UK with minimal taxation, they explained that to do the same thing in China would result in serious consequences and was not worth the risk, but the UK was open for this abuse as the authorities were unable to do anything about it.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 By: UKVATFRAUD Member since: Jan 7, 2014
  13. Pish_Pash

2,413 621
    there are lots of things they can do about it...for one, as I suggested (& your good self), simply make the marketplace (Ebay/Amazon) deduct VAT at source for all sales attributed to overseas sellers ...it's extraordinarily simple....it instantly generate gazillions for the Treasury coffers & also levels the playing field for all of us in the UK playing by the rules. it's a festival of win.

it would even add to inflation (& to me, it looks like all the developed nation could do with an injection of inflation...because it seems everyone is now cacking themselves about deflation!) ...on account, non UK sellers would have to increase their prices (to cover the VAT aspect)....meaning the cost of goods would inevitably rise.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  14. UKVATFRAUD

10 0
    If it were that simple then why has it not been done, it is very obvious to most sensible people that if an eBay or Amazon seller is selling items much cheaper than others but registered in China but shipping from Birmingham that Tax fraud is occurring. This has been happening for many years now and it is getting worse every month, no business sector is immune from this type of trading. We reported many companies to the HMRC many years ago and yet they are still trading but now they are much bigger..

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 By: UKVATFRAUD Member since: Jan 7, 2014
  15. ArnageTech

ArnageTech UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    I got scammed recently, never using Alibaba again. My own stupid fault though for putting trust in a seller who wanted to use western union. I'm such an idiot :(

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 By: ArnageTech Member since: Oct 21, 2014
  16. Pish_Pash

2,413 621
    How can it not be simple...the authorities (who set laws!), say to the marketplaces "You are either knowingly or unknowingly complicit in VAT fraud, therefore from March 1st 2015 we require you to collect VAT for any transaction made on your marketplace by overseas sellers" ...the onus is then on the marketplaces to update their system with that rule. Job done from HMRC's perspective.

Just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it's not simple (from the authorities perspective at least) ...it needs one letter, signed by someone powerful enough. Even if it transpires not to be so simple (& I'd argue it is), then the jaw dropping amount of extra dosh this will raise should make those in power throw enough resource at getting this done.

Why has it not been done? Who knows...perhaps they really don't know about all of this (you say you've reported people, but how high up did it get, etc etc), perhaps the do know about it but would rather chase high profile celebrities. perhaps they want to turn a blind eye to keep inflation low....and on it goes, but like I say, just because it hasn't been done, doesn't mean it can't be done.

Posted: Nov 18, 2014 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  17. Beachbum

Beachbum UKBF Contributor Free Member

68 18
    Posted: Nov 19, 2014 By: Beachbum Member since: Jul 12, 2014
  18. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

786 117
    I think this could do with the maximum amount of sharing and tweeting as possible - let's go viral !

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  19. UKVATFRAUD

10 0
    If only the below statement was true,

"He said: eBay takes VAT compliance very seriously and works closely with HMRC to remind sellers of their legal obligations in this area.”

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 By: UKVATFRAUD Member since: Jan 7, 2014
  20. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,407 650
    How about scrapping VAT altogether? That'd level the playing field and we could save money by sacking half of HMRC staff.

Posted: Nov 20, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.