Fake UK sellers (china) on eBay scam?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Worzel, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cholland

cholland UKBF Regular Full Member

291 42
    I agree with you but that seller you singled out is not a great case. He has 99.9% so am assuming that the majority of his customers are happy!

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 By: cholland Member since: May 21, 2010
  2. Worzel

Worzel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

190 28

I can find you more, much worse if you like. The fact most of the buyers are happy is irreverent, if I sold shotguns on ebay I'm sure I'd have happy customers before the account got shut, doesn't mean it is ok.

If anything, these sellers are causing more damage to the UK sellers like me and many others who buy our stock form China.

I'm not even upset with the China sellers, they found a loop hole and are exploiting it. It's eBay that shouldn't allow it, they are lieng about the location which is totally misleading.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 By: Worzel Member since: Jan 28, 2013
  3. Jayser100

Jayser100 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

718 122
    eBay has already been overtaken by Amazon in my view.

I think eBay has a place in a portfolio of selling platforms, but anyone who relies on it almost entirely for their living is taking a big risk because things can, and often do, go wrong. Amazon is not infallible either.

I sell across seven Amazon platforms, eBay and my website. As I have said before on this forum, it's a bit like spread betting - if you sell across all of them and one goes Pete Tong, you have the others still going strong to keep you out of trouble. Spread your interests - trust me, it's worth it.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 By: Jayser100 Member since: May 21, 2009
  4. Worzel

190 28
    I sell on all 3 too. But website and ebay is VERY slow, ebay was consistently great for over a year but now my sales are at a stand still

5. Jayser100

Jayser100 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

718 122
    We've only had a full-on, well optimised eBay web shop for about a year and thus far we haven't had the same issue. Unfortunately I can't give you any reason why that would happen, but I sure hope it doesn't happen to me. It sounds odd and I can understand you being upset about it.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 By: Jayser100 Member since: May 21, 2009
  6. Worzel

190 28

I've had it a few times, MANY sellers report it too. I have seen threads of huge sellers reporting this issue on eBay only, websites and amazon being fine.

7. camorra

camorra UKBF Contributor Free Member

48 5
    I agree. Back in the good old days of ebay, early 2000's to 2008, things were good. However, for various reasons, such as recession, ebay changing it's business model, ebay changing it's search algorithms, the emergence of Chinese sellers selling direct to the pubic for a miniscule profit etc., ebay is no longer a good place to sell.

Whereas, 10 years ago, most of my companies online income came via ebay, it is nearer 10% today and we are Top Rated Sellers with 99.9% feedback (detailed seller rating mainly 5.0, with 4.9 being the lowest).

Amazon is a much better platform to sell on. However, it isn't perfect. Chinese/Hong Kong based sellers are starting to highjack Amazon too, but their business model is a little different. Many will actually ship their goods in to Amazon warehouses within the UK and the USA, so that they are fulfilled by Amazon, thus avoiding any delivery issues (Amazon removes/discounts bad feedback relating to delivery on items they fulfill).

With regards to getting more traffic to your own websites, include a incentive to drive traffic, such as a discount code on all Invoices that you send out with your products on ebay and Amazon. Promote your business via the sales you make on these 3rd party platforms. Give these customs a good reason to visit you directly, as opposed to visiting you on ebay on Amazon.

Posted: Mar 23, 2013 By: camorra Member since: Jun 29, 2012
  8. Lentinus

Lentinus UKBF Regular Free Member

395 89
    I have been surprised at the number of ebay sellers that I do go to directly only to find out they are 10-20% MORE expensive - despite not having to pay eBay fees.

Posted: Mar 23, 2013 By: Lentinus Member since: Nov 28, 2012
  9. Worzel

190 28

Interesting! I think that is fair though, if they are shipping the items to Amazon to post from UK then there is nothing misleading about the item location. I would hope that Amazon will start to notice the amount of returns and dangerous items they have decided to post on behalf on the Chinese and put a stop to it.

As for eBay, it's completely fuc*ked - I had to buy another micro sd card tonight (which is why I'm bumping this thread) - all the top of the list sellers are "uk sellers" in China, I even selected "UK ONLY" and I'm still flooded with "uk sellers" from China! It is so ANNOYING!!!!!!!!

Here is how I'm looking at it..

eBay sellers in the UK (real ones) are going to go out of business if they are selling their own stocks from China, or things that can be brought in China (near enough everything) due to this total illegal selling. eBay are allowing these sellers to LIE about the location and postage services used.

Also it is terrible for the buyers, there is a huge market of buyers who are ready and happy to pay more in order to get it from the UK, they feel safe this way because they know returns won't be an issue and postage won't take 4 weeks. These buyers are now being tricked. They will not return to buy again, how can they possibly know when a UK SELLER really is a UK SELLER?
    Most of us know we can check the contact details hidden at the bottom, but millions of buyers won't know this, and frankly shouldn't even need to. WTF is ebay thinking

Posted: Apr 5, 2013 By: Worzel Member since: Jan 28, 2013
  10. Suzuki

Suzuki Guest

866 305
    eBay are clearly not going to do anything about it on their own. Its obvious they know about this as its widespread and been going on for years. I can only assume they've decided its worth losing the occasional buyer in return for everyone else getting cheap prices and massive fees being generated from the Chinese sellers.

imo your only hope would be to get some sort of government body here to take up your case - OFT, Trading Standards or whoever was appropriate. They'll not listen to one complaint but create a website about the issue... encourage other people to complain etc etc. These people often only take action when publicly embarrassed into doing so...

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: Suzuki Member since: Mar 3, 2012
  11. Worzel

190 28

I think you are right, the website is a good idea. What is confusing is that it's no secret eBay favor the buyer and make it all about the buyers little "shopping experience" - buyers always win cases etc... yet this is just as annoying for buyers as it is sellers. A google search shows this, uk buyers are being completely conned by item location and delivery times.

I wish eBay UK was just that, UK sellers and buyers. If one want's to buy from china, or sell in france.. they they can do this at those ebay sites

Posted: Apr 6, 2013 By: Worzel Member since: Jan 28, 2013
  12. Suzuki

Suzuki Guest

866 305
    Although I agree with you 100%... I think you are making one massive mistake. You are thinking Ebay owe anything to UK consumers or UK businesses. They are not a UK company... why would they care about either?

What they are doing is probably not legal... so try and force them to change it. Appealing to their better nature isn't going to work. Why should a USA company care whether profit is made by a seller in Beijing or one in Birmingham?

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 By: Suzuki Member since: Mar 3, 2012
  13. Worzel

190 28
    Because eBay uk has one of the biggest turnovers? We all know ebay love to change things, those monkeys in the offices have to be seen to be doing something. I think that flooding ebay uk with china sellers will obviously create more ebay money to start, but when the buyers get sick of buying from china and the uk sellers go bust, the turnover will flop and im sure they will change it.

It just reminds me of the americans having the great idea of lending money to people with bad credit ratings, big money for a while until the invertible happened.

I know ebay has always filtered in overseas sellers but this is a new level, even buyers are signing into the forums to complain.

All that moaning aside, it is the fact they can show up when you select UK ONLY and ebay is allowing it that is really, really wrong

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 By: Worzel Member since: Jan 28, 2013
  14. Worzel

190 28
  15. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    Is it not infact the case they are UK sellers who are simply taking your order (like a drop shipping arrangement) then ordering themselves from china, so infact while they ARE UK based, none of the products they sell are in their possession.

Posted: Apr 7, 2013 By: iArtist Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  16. Worzel

190 28
    No, worse. At least with a UK drop shipper you can actually talk to them, request a refund or something. These are China sellers (not just China, I got stung by a 'uk seller' in Switz) - in China. Posing as Uk sellers... in.. UK. Even quoting royal mail!

It's quite a clever little setup.. most UK buyers won't complain if you had sexual relations with their other half along as they get something dirt cheap. But for the ones who do complain and ask where the item is, they will get the same response I got, twice.

This but in broken English:

"Hi, sorry for the delay. What happened was the UK warehouse in Jersey just ran out of stock, so what we did is sent them item from are Chinese warehouse to save you waiting any further...................."

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  17. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    One could complain, I did that re china sellers selling bracelets as silver 925 when what they were, was silver plated or coloured with the numbers 925 stamped on it. They took action re that across the board I believe.

Also make your fears known re their feedback. That will work in time if everyone does it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  18. Worzel

190 28
    I did both times but a few hundred negs doesn't touch them when they are getting so many pos's:eek:

19. iArtist

iArtist Guest

0 0
    Then raise the profile of your complaint as you are doing now by discussing the Scam publicly. You can write an article about it and publish it on eBay. I did that re the silver issue. It gets a lot of views.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  20. Worzel

190 28
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.