Fake UK sellers (china) on eBay scam?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Worzel, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Worzel

Worzel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

190 28
    Well, if eBay UK putting Chinese sellers above UK sellers isn't bad enough (wonder if China would put UK sellers above Chinese? :D:D) I am noticing a new scam more and more.

Chinese sellers pretending to be in UK.

Item location:Wales, United Kingdom

Real location: Macy zhong
    The First Floor, NO.23-17 Yi San Road,Jiang An Development Zones
    537000 Guangxi, 广西壮族自治区
    中國

I have actually ran a test purchase to figure this scam out. If the buyer doesn't complain about slow postage, they win. If the buyer complains or can see the purchase came from China and complains, they give a bull story about their "uk warehouse being out of stock" - so to not keep you waiting they sent from the china warehouse. Sound familiar ?

I'm sure there is some china suppliers who really do have UK warehouses, but this is becoming a band wagon. Is this even legal? surely it is misleading to show the wrong location and quote ROYAL MAIL instead of hong kong post!???

I would go around reporting, but nothing ever happens. What I can't get my mind around is they should be building our own economy, why are they favoring chinese sellers? it's not like Chinese sellers even have a good reputation, most people are scared to buy from there so being tricked into it is terribly wrong!

Plus the fact alot of us buy stock from China to resell at a profit here. How can this be possible with eBay swamped with Chinese sellers in China and Chinese sellers pretending to be in UK?

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 By: Worzel Member since: Jan 28, 2013
  2. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    It's not just on Ebay but on the internet generally. We noticed after one particular Google update pages and pages of Chinese websites set up to look like UK ones. Luckily they were only there for a couple of days after that shuffle and then got sent further back in the organic search results.

If people are buying something really cheaply on Ebay, they will put up with a lot in terms of delivery times etc.

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  3. Worzel

190 28
    True, we have alot of stock from China and the only saving grace was people choose us and pay more as we have the item in stock, in UK. So now it is becoming impossible because would be buyers of ours are being tricked by dirt cheap prices

4. Worzel

190 28
    I must say it is also not just china, here is a huge seller from Switzerland claiming to be in the UK. I actually got tricked myself when buying a memory card that took 2 weeks to arrive and also had a charge on it!

gizzmo_heaven item: 280947820050

I honest wonder if they even have a "uk warehouse" if you look at the feedback it looks good for a month. 12k pos and only 19 negs. But the big CLUE is in the REVISED FEEDBACK: 881!

How is this possible to get away with. It's like me quoting royal mail special delivery 1 working day for free, then in small print saying "oh it MIGHT be out of stock in uk warehouse so we will drop ship it from china via hong kong post"

No wonder my sales have fallen through the floor. AHHHH :(

5. Lucky7CompSolutions

Lucky7CompSolutions UKBF Regular Full Member

479 44
    Do you know this is one thing that [email protected]@es me off and makes me angry as when I worked at my old work (computer repair shop) we ordered parts from ebay quite a lot and you find the part and you think great a UK seller, wrong if you scroll down the page to contact us surprise surprise there from china or hong kong grrrrr.

I have had to cancel our order many of times because of this why is ebay letting it happening its one of my bug bears with ebay.

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 By: Lucky7CompSolutions Member since: Dec 3, 2012
  6. Worzel

190 28
    Yeah, I really can't understand it. Alot of UK sellers like me have to mess around buying from China, to sell here in UK at a profit, the main selling point being we are UK sellers. Now eBay are sticking china sellers (and other countries) right at the top of searches, and now this, FAKE UK sellers killing off the market.

I just can't get my head around it. All I can see is money being sucked out of this broken toilet of a country and send elsewhere.

7. Worzel

190 28
    Here is an interesting read about a blogger bragging on having a scammer shut down from eBay for not paying VAT. Happens to be a FAKE UK seller.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2010/12/ebay-has-suspended-the-account.html

So I thought I would check out this suspended account Bobob_uk - Hmmmm doesn't look suspended to me, still a monster seller with nearly 1 MILLION feedback. Surprise surprise claims to be in the UK

Scroll down and have a real look in the hidden seller information

So here we have a seller who was apparently shut down for VAT fraud, eBay are well aware of this seller. Yet he happily trades away from China claiming to be in the UK.

8. Lucky7CompSolutions

Lucky7CompSolutions UKBF Regular Full Member

479 44
    I think most use a virtual address, like someone said its a waste of time complaining as you don't get anywhere, and ebay does not care they need to be shut down.

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 By: Lucky7CompSolutions Member since: Dec 3, 2012
  9. Worzel

190 28
    Surely trading standards or somebody can get involved? waste of time chasing the Chinese sellers but eBay are allowing them to be seen as a UK seller when really they are in China. It surely is miss selling or whatever it comes under, when you think your buying from UK but really it's in china

10. Lentinus

Lentinus UKBF Regular Free Member

395 89
    Used to be that
    UK seller = Shipped from China (but the bedroom office of seller ordering the dropship is in the UK...)
    UK Stock = Chinese stock in the UK

Now they even lie about that. The clue is in the RM delivery - 1st class takes 4-5 days and oh we might not post it for 4 days.

Unfortunately Ebay does not give a fetid pair of dingoes kidneys about this (or anything else really) so there is no point in complaining. How any company with such atrocious customer service managed to get so big is a mystery!

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 By: Lentinus Member since: Nov 28, 2012
  11. cholland

cholland UKBF Regular Full Member

291 42
    To be fair to that seller 886 revised feedback is only around 0.2% of total feedback and judging by my buyers thats about right!

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 By: cholland Member since: May 21, 2010
  12. Worzel

190 28
    160827/1000x5=804

More like they have hit their limit.

13. Directimport

Directimport UKBF Regular Free Member

343 52
    Hi Worzel,

Dropship suppliers are ripping people off all over the world, not just in the UK. Many of the suppliers supposedly wholesaling to dropship retailers are competing directly with their own customers.

I teach as the solution to the problem that you can go direct to the factories and buy small or large quantities at ex-factory prices. The importing procedure is a breeze for those who follow my methods.

Prices charged by the dropshippers in China may seem incredibly cheap, but unless you know the truth about how low prices really are at the factories they will continue to get away with what they are doing.

Example: When last in Beijing, I saw reasonable quality men's suits retailing for £25. On returning to Birmingham I saw the identical suit on sale as a "special" at £83. If a small retailer in Beijing could sell them for £25, how much would the factory be charging?

I have bought products in China and sold for 7 times what they cost me landed.

Safe sourcing is essential if buying overseas, and most sourcing web portals can be hazardous to your wealth. This is why I only list a handful of safe sites in my book on importing.

I am in forced retirement due to heart surgery, but for 22 years I ran an importing and B2B marketing business which I franchised in 4 countries. Prior to importing I was exporting to Asia, with my biggest customer being in Taiwan, so I know about dealing with China.

If you have a quick look at my website it may give you some ideas that you have not considered before.

Posted: Mar 19, 2013 By: Directimport Member since: Feb 24, 2013
  14. cholland

cholland UKBF Regular Full Member

291 42
    Their total feedback is 374337 (well 391328). Revised feedback figure is for total time on ebay (so since 2006).

The limit of 5 requests per 1000 is only for smaller sellers and does not apply to them.

Posted: Mar 20, 2013 By: cholland Member since: May 21, 2010
  15. Worzel

190 28

It's not unlimited, it seems a bit of a grey area. I have none to revise so it won't let me access the revise page but I have over 1000 a year and I do remember it being a certain number remaining when I revised some before.

It's odd that people are defending this rogue seller, I guess that attitude is why are whole economy is laughable. Here we have a Chinese seller killing the market with cheap prices, posing as a UK seller. Upsetting both uk buyers and sellers. And here we have people defending their massive amount of revised feedback, why not just pop over to China and help them pack their orders as a volunteer?

Posted: Mar 20, 2013 By: Worzel Member since: Jan 28, 2013
  16. Worzel

190 28
    Just clicked through one of the millions of fake sellers buy_ee feedback and looked at their buyers location, UK, UK, UK UK UK UK UK UK UKKKKKKKKKKKKK

They are tricking UK buyers with false advertising. Where do they even find such great UK buyers? I get moaned at if they don't receive the next day, yet they are happy to wait 2 weeks from china posing as UK? Am i missing something or is this one of the biggest frauds going on? sucking money out of here, destroying uk sellers? Somebody please shed some light as nobody seems bothered at all by this?

Posted: Mar 21, 2013 By: Worzel Member since: Jan 28, 2013
  17. Jayser100

Jayser100 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

718 122
    This is a huge problem. We had a Trading Standards officer visit on Tuesday (just a routine inspection I'm pleased to say!) - I was discussing this subject with him because, as a sunglasses vendor, I am concerned by the number of obviously fake big-name branded eyewear on eBay being sold direct from the Far East. He said that they just don't have the resources to deal with it. In Kent, they have 30 officers to cover half a million businesses!

This is why they get away with it.

I get emails on a weekly basis from Chinese factories offering me Bolle, Oakley sunglasses etc. at 'amazing prices.' It does make me cross

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 By: Jayser100 Member since: May 21, 2009
  18. Directimport

Directimport UKBF Regular Free Member

343 52
    If only the Trading Standards people would carry out a couple of prosecutions, even if they are little people it may deter some from buying the fakes.

Such prosecutions would have to be well publicised.

Buyers need to know that they are guilty of an offence, not just the sellers.

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 By: Directimport Member since: Feb 24, 2013
  19. hugecarrot

hugecarrot UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 1
    I had a very profitable business on eBay in 2009-10. The business grew rapidly, we were importing from china and Thailand and selling on the auction site as buy it now items. I won't bore you too much with the detail, however, I decided to change my business model and NOT use eBay OR PayPal as their behaviour is disgraceful. They always favour the buyer. PayPal are worse. In fact, as I was selling lots of product, they withheld £10,000 of funds for 90 days in case of a charge back from a customer. We had 100 % feedback and no disputes. Any business that relies on eBay or PayPal as a selling platform will ultimate be their slave. I personally would never operate as a business on eBay again, but now are such a massive machine, seem unstoppable. That's part of the issue though, arrogance! eBay and PayPal think they can behave how ever they like. Responding to the OP directly, eBay don't care about anything other than profit, where ever it comes from. I am now selling successfully on my own website with precisely no sales on eBay. I hope another company overtakes them and sends them skint

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 By: hugecarrot Member since: Mar 19, 2013
  20. Worzel

190 28
    Funny you should say that, last summer I listed a pair of Rayban sunglasses which my Brother had purchased from a well known store, they were used but in great condition. eBay removed the listing, just in case they might be fake? Fair enough, so I re listed with a picture of the RECEIPT , they removed it again. I gave up, left with a big LOW on Policy compliance on my account. No good deed goes unpunished.

I feel exactly the same, if I had more traffic on my website I would leave eBay too. That is my ultimate goal as I am SICK of it. I am having major issues lately with a monster drop in sales, I can't even find my listings. I am a Silver powerseller, 100% feedback over 3000. TRS. Perfect DSR, no cases opened against me yet my popular listings with sold counts of 100+ have dissapeared to pages 18+ ???????????? I fit all the "best match" crap, free p+p - returns accepted , everything. Spoke to eBay and they fail to accept there is an issue

Posted: Mar 22, 2013 By: Worzel Member since: Jan 28, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.