Fact checking

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by stender, Aug 31, 2021.

1. UKSBD

UKSBD Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

10,976 2,240
    Nah, you just get the telco engineer to hand them an iPad with this preloaded https://www.sim64.co.uk/account/e.php and he makes it obvious he isn't looking when they fill it in.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  2. paulears

paulears UKBF Legend

4,983 1,369
    If you know what you are doing, you can access most things. Luckily most don't, but many do. A friend makes a bit of money exposing vulnerabilities. He essentially hacks but then tells the security departments of the firm the content of what they believe to be secret. Telephones of course being analogue are very easily to listen into. Digital radio systems with the exception of the emergency services are quite listenable to.

However - it doesn't matter. If how they do it is believable, nobody will doubt it as a story line. The new BBC submarine drama is full of technical errors of so many kinds it's sort of funny - but it's all believable. Almost every scene contains errors. I've heard fishermen discussing one scene as ridiculous, ex-submariners laughing at the acres of empty space in submarines that for long underwater tours leave harbour with all the spaces full of food, and crews hot bunking because there are more crew than bunks. It's called drama and entertainment, not a documentary. The real subs are out of communications when not at periscope depth, and while they can receive messages, it doesn't work remotely like the drama shows. Make your hacker believable and forget about exact science. If you ever get pressed just say you are sorry but cannot reveal your sources.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    without giving too much away....basically the engineer knows the guy is a villain and is looking to hear about a dodgy deal in order to rob him when he has money delivered. He's basically sitting outside his house and when ready will disconnect his line and knock on his door making out he's there to fix it.....

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: stender Member since: Jul 9, 2008
  4. AW-UK

AW-UK UKBF Contributor

116 10
    Yeah, but that looks dodgy in any case, "check if your email has been compromised"? Why would a telco engineer have that on his iPad? That doesn't show you the password anyway just goes through to a "we spoofed you", in fact there is no form validation so you can just press "Check" and it goes through to the page anyway.
    You could at least make the "facebook" and "google" checks look like the login pages for those services, all leads to the same looking page.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: AW-UK Member since: Aug 23, 2021
  5. AW-UK

AW-UK UKBF Contributor

116 10
    There you go then he could magically "fix" the line, install a keylogger into the villains laptop / desktop (would have to be small dongle or software that sends it remotely to a server) and ask him to check his internet is working again by asking him to log onto his emails. You could throw in a few "it looks good, it says it is connected to <bt/virgin/sky/etc> and it has internet access". etc

6. Fagin2021

Fagin2021 Full Member

409 252
    Sorry, but intercepted emails don't convey the same menace as 'phone conversations. I like my villains to end their diatribes with aah-hahahahahahahahahaha.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: just doesn't ring my bell.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: Fagin2021 Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  7. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    maybe he just cuts the line, gets in the house and robs him, forces him to open the safe he doesnt know exists.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: stender Member since: Jul 9, 2008
  8. UKSBD

UKSBD Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

10,976 2,240
    I'm sure the hideous villain in the story would make it a bit more convincing :rolleyes:

9. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    Time to read 'Save The Cat' and the other three books I recommended!

Your protagonist must have a life-and-death problem to overcome and close Act Two with 'All hope is lost!' Open Act Three with the fight-back.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  10. AW-UK

AW-UK UKBF Contributor

116 10
    You can create a SDR with a Linux box and listen on GSM calls, not sure if there is a plugin that decodes voice over data yet, there probably is.

11. japancool

japancool UKBF Legend

5,199 1,197
    Up the telephone pole with a pair of binoculars and read the email on the villain's laptop through the window.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  12. UKSBD

UKSBD Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️

10,976 2,240
    Sounds like a job for Joey Morales

13. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    My script has this.

Posted: Sep 2, 2021 By: stender Member since: Jul 9, 2008