Fact checking

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by stender, Aug 31, 2021.

1. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    I'm having a go at writing a script for an idea i've had, and literally 10 pages in I have to fact check medical procedures and now have a tech one. Any suggestions where I can check on a hacking type fact. I basically have someone accessing someones telephone line and want to check if it's possible for them to intercept some information. Listening to a landline probably isnt going to lead to a villain discussing their plans but was wondering if it would be possible to intercept an email? have searched fb groups but nothing ideal. Not even thinking about how to get someone relevant to read the finished article or how much i might be able to sell for...

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: stender Member since: Jul 9, 2008
  2. Alcom IT

Alcom IT Full Member

32 1
    In short, yes it is possible but very difficult to intercept an email. However, it really depends on where the email is being sent.

Most modern email programs create a secure connection from the email program to the company email server. So that portion of the journey is usually pretty secure.

If the email is destined for someone on the same email service, say gmail to gmail, that too is usually pretty secure.

However, if the email is leaving the server and heading for a different provider, say gmail to yahoo then it is possible to intercept the email between the sending service and the receiving service. That's because that portion of the email journey might not be encrypted.

To get around this the email can be encrypted using add-on tools. But this would require the receiving email client to also have the same tools to decrypt the email.

We are recommending our clients use these tools wherever confidential information is to be sent by email for this exact reason.

I hope that helps?

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: Alcom IT Member since: Jan 27, 2021
  3. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    Basically I have someone accessing the villains line from the bt cabinet or pole and I want them to intercept information on a deal. Hearing it on a landline might have people thinking this would never happen. Even whats app is encrypted.

4. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    What sort of script are we talking about? Film or stage?

Who is doing the intercepting? Government agent or private individual?

Emails on open platforms are usually intercepted by cracking the password used, so a key-logger is used.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  5. gpietersz

gpietersz Full Member

2,238 568
    Even if email is not encrypted between servers (and it commonly is) you would need access to the network between them to intercept it.

Its really unlikely to be possible to simply intercept it from a local line. Someone would have to be using an unencrypted connection to the mail server.

The most plausible ways of doing this are probably villians computer got hacked, the recipients computer got hacked, their password leaked, or someone got access to either of their mail servers (legally or not).

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  6. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    It's a movie script and the person in question is a telecoms engineer. May have to go for the less plausable option of listening in to a non intelligent villain. it's no mission impossible.

7. NickGrogan

NickGrogan Full Member

2,976 725
    Assuming it's a script for a play or movie and not some kind of training video, it doesn't matter.

Nothing in a James Bond movie is "real", cars can't do the things you see in any of the F and F movies, etc.

Give your engineer a black box, he attaches it to the line and wow he can see or read anything.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  8. WaveJumper

WaveJumper UKBF Legend

2,278 573
    I would have thought best option is to go down the hacked route or black box, I am pretty gutted about the James Bond comment shattered all my illusions now :). Seriously though I am not sure the average reader or viewer would be any of the wiser

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: WaveJumper Member since: Aug 26, 2013
  9. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    trying to make it semi believable but good idea. Had to give a character a terminal illness which took enough research. About 15 minutes into the film and already having second thoughts.

10. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    We work in film and TV, so I know quite a bit about scripts, etc.
    Yes and no - they still have to maintain believability within their own set of rules and those rules must never be broken.
    Low-budget films have to stick closer to reality than a high-budget action movies like Mission Impossible. A key-logger is easily installed and can be shown as a screenshot or screen-grab without dialogue and that alleviates the need for showing a man on a ladder, climbing up a pole, etc. - all that is laying pipe and laying too much pipe is one of the cardinal sins when writing a screenplay.

11. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    Just have him coughing blood. That means less dialogue and more action. No visits to doctor, no diagnosis, no needless laying of pipe!

12. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    might end up doing that or might have to prolongue the diagnosis. Depends how many pages i end up with!

13. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    120 pages in the so-called 'Hollywood Standard' - you will cut huge chunks out anyway in the edit.

14. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    BTW - Three books every screenwriter must read -

Save The Cat (Blake Snyder) This is the book that every writer has read and few admit to reading!

How NOT to Write a Screenplay (Denny Martin Flinn) A great read and lists all the silly mistakes people make.

The Idea (Erik Bork) Tells you what makes for a good premise for a film and the seven elements required.

15. NickGrogan

NickGrogan Full Member

2,976 725
    Thank God that Jason Bourne is 100% real.

Yes and no. Most people have no idea how the internet or email actually works, and so have no idea of what is possible/impossible. Those that do might point out the glaring errors, but if it keeps the story moving, who cares?

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  16. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht Verified Business ✔️

1,119 267
    You have to stop getting information from some basic forums where people post with no knowledge. The Fact is the WhatsApp database and 7 days of backup data bases on the phone is not encrypted at all. That's why FB can read it out and use it for advertising very easy. Signal data bases for example are encrypted, much harder to read them out but not impossible.

email hacking during transport nearly impossible but with some social engineering getting access to username and password much easier. Same goes for any mobile or landline they can be taped into by the provider and recording created as they are the central authority.

Hacking a phoneline or mobile would be actually very easy once you have the decryption keys issues by the service provider.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    As we are talking budget film production here, the golden rules apply - (1) What is cheaper? (2) What is more believable?

Another golden rule is - never ever make a gritty urban drama! Nobody wants to watch them! I speak from bitter experience - though fortunately not at my expense!

THIS!

Private individual - key-logger or camera above the keyboard. Government - they go where they want to!

Tip - if anyone here is bored and wants some fun in their lives and wants to find out how Special Branch works close-up, just send out some emails about how to make a viable bomb and end up with a key Arabic saying about how great God might be. Add a few Google searches along those lines and wait for the fun and games to begin. You won't have to wait long!

18. stender

stender UKBF Regular

478 58
    @nico group - I didnt actually ask people on here for details, i asked of resources to use. But i'm not asking for tax or legal advice. It's purely a bit of fiction.

19. mattk

mattk UKBF Legend

2,598 965
    Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  20. AW-UK

AW-UK UKBF Contributor

116 10
    There is not a lot of "hacking" / IT shows that portray accuracy anyway, I.P: 726.232.121.455 - Secure connection established. IP addresses (IPV4) has a max range of 0-255 per octet, even then it is limited.

What you could do is work in that the telco engineer goes into the persons house / office to fault find, installs a miniature keylogger and goes back to retrieve it, giving access to personal info like email addresses and passwords.

Just an idea.

Posted: Aug 31, 2021 By: AW-UK Member since: Aug 23, 2021