Facebook For Five Year Olds

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by Pressman, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Pressman

Pressman UKBF Regular Free Member

145 19

A mum of three is hoping to revolutionise the way education is funded in Britain by launching new a new social networking website aimed at school children and their parents.

School Together Now is the brain child of Esther Guy, a mum from Surrey, who hopes to raise millions of pounds for schools throughout the country.

The site aims to connect youngsters and their parents to their local schools and create an online community which could be particularly useful for those parents whose career prevents them from participating in the school run.

It includes a database of 33,000 UK state and independent schools. Users, who can be either children or parents, create a profile linked to their school and can then share information with school staff, other parents and fellow pupils.

The site, www.schooltogethernow.com will also carry advertising – and each school will get 20% of the advertising revenue associated with its listing.

School Together Now is already live on the web but will be launched formally in the New Year. Pupils as young as five can register to become members with the consent of their parents. Other social networks do not allow under 16s to register.

The site’s founder Esther Guy came up with the idea after juggling motherhood with her career as operations manager for a busy recruitment company.

Esther, who has three daughters, twins aged seven and a four year old, said she was tired of missing out on her daughters’ childhoods.

She said: “There must be thousands of parents like me all over the country who struggle with full time work and commitments to their kids.

“I have a 90 mile round trip to work every single day and it means I miss out on the school run and on meeting other mums and dads at my girls’ schools.

“I’m lucky because we have extended family who can lend a hand and drop off or collect the kids at school but it means we are not able to share their school experience as much as we would like to.

“I decided to launch this website because due to the limitations on my time I struggled to build a rapport with the other mums in the playground.

“A generation or two ago the school was the hub of the community and everyone would gather round the gates and share their news. But times have changed and more and more parents, both mothers and fathers, are now in full time work.

“It means a lot of those old communities have been lost and now we are leading our lives in other ways. The internet is becoming increasingly useful and sites such as Facebook have become valuable resources for people to organize their social lives online.

“But until now there was nothing aimed exclusively at schools, parents and children and that is something we are going to rectify.”

Esther, who lives with her husband Chris, a plasterer, and their three girls in Tadworth, Surrey, added that School Together Now could radically alter the way schools are funded.

She said: “If the site becomes a success, as we hope it will, then there will be a massive financial benefit for schools. This is so much more than just a business to me. I want it to be a socially responsible platform where pupils, parents and schools can all benefit.

“We have created a model where one fifth of all profits will be donated to schools. As parents ourselves we wanted to create something which would benefit everyone concerned, both parents, pupils and schools. The site also offers a useful platform for local businesses and we hope to attract advertising from small companies run by parents of pupils at a particular school.”

She added that the site will be monitored and vetted closely to ensure all content is suitable for youngsters to view. Facebook and other social networking sites do not allow users under the age of 16 to register.

ENDS

Notes For Editors:

Further information, including images, is available by contacting Steve McComish at Pressman PR Ltd on 0115 9648214.

Posted: Nov 14, 2008 By: Pressman Member since: Oct 6, 2007
  2. 10 Yetis

10 Yetis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,383 144
    Great release and this story is about to be on BBC1 Breakfast News... congrats to Pressman and Esther.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 By: 10 Yetis Member since: Nov 3, 2004
  3. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Legend Free Member

5,382 598
    A brave move. Protecting the kids online will be a nightmare.

Posted: Nov 15, 2008 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  4. F1SEO

F1SEO UKBF Regular Free Member

371 52
    in today's climate i'm not sure it's such a great idea.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 By: F1SEO Member since: Sep 23, 2007
  5. DotNetWebs

DotNetWebs UKBF Legend Free Member

5,014 1,001
    The press release is well written and it great that the site has been mentioned on the BBC but I can't help feeling the site should have been a bit more 'developed' before seeking this publicity.

For example it is not exactly clear how the site works. There are no sample profiles or and indication that the site is active. If I click on the map I am just presented with list after list of schools to page through until I find one that I am familiar with but then what? - you can't click on the school and do anything with it.

When you think back to when you first heard of Friends Reunited, Facebook or even The Million Dollar Home Page these sites where well populated and where encouraging you to join there and then. As it stands I think you are likely to get a lot of curious visitors who then think "Now what?"

If it was my site I would try and get it up and running a few local schools and THEN seek publicity showing what a success it has been etc.

Regards

Dotty

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  6. adam

adam UKBF Newcomer Free Member

921 41
    I have to agree, I think a trick was missed here. The site is very strongly coloured too which could put some people off but I just don't get what I am meant to do.

Can anyone sign up? I wouldn't want Gary Glitter seeing pictures of my kids in school plays or even knowing what time the after school classes are!

What does it do? At the moment it seems like a list of school that used to be available on the od DfES website or whatever they call it these days.

The only other question is do you really want 5 year olds on the computer all day? My niece is coming up for 3. She can work parts of an iphone from memory once she has been shown the logo to press and has had an online video call when I have been unable to see her, she even knows that she has to wave at the camera and see herself on screne or I cannot see her but I now imagine 5 year olds on a Sunday that should be outside getting clothes ripped, rolling in mud, falling over and kicking balls around sat like some sad 28year old on a Sunday at a bl**dy computer!

That said, there are some good ideas here as many schools simplyo do not have their own engaging websites and this could well fill a gap.

Good luck on the bits I approve but please don't have 5 year olds developing square eyes.

Posted: Nov 16, 2008 By: adam Member since: Sep 12, 2004
  7. zezu

zezu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    i have to agree as i have been working hard for the last year with my website that dose the same thing but is free for schools and play centers alike as safe meeting places i am still going through all the red tape
    so in the mean time i put live without the schools on for now untill i get more support
    i think that this so called new website is trying to get out there befor i do without going through the red tape
    this makes me :mad: and leaves me no choice but to go to press befor i wanted to
    do however have the support of the ( CEOP )

nick
    at
    zezu.co.uk

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 By: zezu Member since: Nov 17, 2008
  8. zezu

3 0
    who am i you may think ?
    well i am dad with 12 year old daughter who has been around lots of schools with my idea gathering feedback at meetings with head teachers
    also been into councils to chat about internet saftey for kids and zezu all feedback has been very good
    also going around play centers getting there support as safe meeting places for the kids that are using my site this is free to them all

nick
    at
    zezu.co.uk :redface:

9. i234i

i234i UKBF Ace Free Member

2,284 242
    It says businesses can sign up and advertise!
    Id be scared someone sets up a fake "business" to login!

Posted: Nov 17, 2008 By: i234i Member since: Jul 16, 2007
  10. zezu

3 0
    its to easy to get into an to much going on there

11. in2play

in2play UKBF Newcomer Free Member

67 5
    I'm really not sure about this, it's a great press release, but the idea doesn't work for me. The school I teach at already uses a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) for homeworks, and we're developing it for parental communication - the local education authority are setting up their own system as well to force all the schools in the area to provide something functional. We've got the usual printed newsletter, lots of parental contact opportunities and dedicated non-teaching staff for parents to contact.

What extra does this site offer? Chances for parents to chat - they already do that on Facebook. Chances for pupils to chat - they all use Bebo, Myspace and Facebook regardless of the so-called age restrictions. I can even set up a chat forum on the VLE for my pupils. Actually, the only school related site the kids don't laugh at is mystickers. Advertising opportunities? Can't see my school making more than £100 per year. Besides as the school is in an economically deprived area, a very high percentage of our pupils (and parents) don't have access to the internet outside of school!

If my headteacher asked me if this was worth it (and I'm one of the staff that might get asked), I'd only say yes if we could get the business studies students to promote and run our end of it.

PS Can you spot the top 20 secondary school, for value added, that isn't on the list of schools on the site (I don't currently teach there by the way)?

Posted: Nov 18, 2008 By: in2play Member since: Jul 4, 2008