Exporting equipment from UK abroad

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Robbo1983, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Robbo1983

Robbo1983 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,
    New to the forum. Our business gets many requests for supplying goods overseas to parts of Africa, Asia and the middle east etc. Up to now I have decided to not trade overseas with foreign companies to minimise risk. I am now considering exporting goods - is there anything I should be doing to minimise risk?

The plan is to receive bank transfer funds into our account prior to sending goods out (customers seem happy to do this on initial conversation). The parts/equipment are not manufactured by me and I am simply an agent for the manufacturers. Once I have received funds from the customer, I will be placing an order with the manufacturer and forwarding goods via a freight company (fully insured) to the destination country.

Are their scams which could overcome this plan, or am I being too risk adverse?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Robbo1983 Member since: Feb 1, 2018
  2. Robbo1983

Robbo1983 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Also, if anyone has any experience of sending palletised goods overseas, what is the cheapest way of doing it?

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Robbo1983 Member since: Feb 1, 2018
  3. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

Technically it works. However, there also could be risks. Especially for some complicated products (such as machines, furniture, electronic/electrical products with compulsive certifications), as it's tricky to control the quality.

A client told me a story, he purchased many power chargers for computers --- all of them look legitimate and with CE certificates, but over 25% of them failed in actual use, so, he received lots of complaints and the whole order was a nightmare.

There also could be communications errors -- you may have purchased something that are not expected by the client.

At end of day, business is a venture. Follow good practices and start from small. Good luck.

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  4. KiterSeb

KiterSeb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

If you're receiving bank transfer you should be ok.

I don't know much about shipping to Africa. Asia - Hong Kong is easy, I gather China is more problematic.

If you're sending to the middle east there might be issues getting the goods through their customs (esp. Saudi, Kuwait, Qatar) and if you're the shipper extra charges etc. will become your responsibility. Best case scenario for you would be for your customer to collect ex works from your premises - not the most customer friendly approach but puts all the risk on them. If you do decide to handle the shipping I'd ship check for issues, import restrictions etc. before accepting the order.

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: KiterSeb Member since: Feb 8, 2018