Employment & HR Brought to you by Jaluch (DocsWizard)

Event wear - does a company have to cater for both men and women?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Im_a_recruiter, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Im_a_recruiter

Im_a_recruiter UKBF Contributor Free Member

47 1
    for events and exhibitions, the company I worked for wore branded tshirts (just tshirt, not polo shirts). The women in the other countries got female fitted tshirts, the men wore men shirts. But I was the only female in my team. (Actually in the country), and they won’t purchase female fittest shirts for me so at events, I have to wear a male tshirt that really doesn’t fit very well. I have asked if they can get some female ones and they said they did on the last order, but they didn’t. They just lied about it!

Does an organisation have to cater for the women in these situations?

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 By: Im_a_recruiter Member since: Mar 28, 2015
  2. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

9,118 1,857
    I don't know the law on this, but it would be a very poor company that did not provide garments for both sexes

Are you complaining about it being to tight on the bust or just not darted to make it look better

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  3. LiveNetworks Ltd

LiveNetworks Ltd UKBF Regular Free Member

142 33
    Can't see any workwear manufacturer turning down a single order for a ladies shirt when there's other tops of the same design in the batch.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say if they're a predominantly male company they may have felt a little uneasy about asking for your size, or even suggesting you should wear a 'figure hugging' shirt. Asking what you would prefer wouldn't have hurt though.

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 By: LiveNetworks Ltd Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  4. Im_a_recruiter

47 1
    A bit of both really. I have curves, and I’m big busted so in order to have something fit in the busy, it doesn’t fit at all anywhere else.

5. Im_a_recruiter

47 1
    The company has plenty of women but in the UK there’s only men (and me). And each country is responsible for buying its own merchandise etc. I specifically asked for a female tshirt and explained the reasons why - and the guy ordering them said he would order me some (we were getting 3 each).

When the day of the even arrived, there were no female tshirts in the box and I asked him if he ordered some and he said yet - but when I checked the order form, none had been ordered.

6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,360 8,379
    Is this the same company that you have a sex discrimination case against?

If so I’m not surprised they didn’t get you a female shirt, they are doing it on purpose.

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. Im_a_recruiter

47 1

Yea it’s the same company. I woke up thinking about it this morning for some weird reason, a lot of it has been playing on my mind lately with everything that’s been going on.

This was something that happened at the start of my employment... probably 2 months in to my 11 months employment. It really annoyed me at the time but it was an isolated incident so I just left it.

8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

28,360 8,379
    So it appears even back then they didn't really want you on the team.

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

8,817 2,241
    I would tell you solicitor about it to use as evidence for your sex discrimination claim. You can't make a claim now about this behaviour as it is outside the 3 month time limit, but you can use it as evidence of the firm's attitude towards women.

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012