EU IOSS Signup

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Graham Wharton, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Morning

Morning UKBF Regular

80 38
    How could you not post there? Dbaca is a car crash.:eek:

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 By: Morning Member since: May 14, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. schmexit

schmexit UKBF Contributor

96 15
    LOL do you mean this one?

https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/forums/customerforums/vat/c14fc8ab-1c79-eb11-8ced-00155d975a0f

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 By: schmexit Member since: May 7, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. whatsoccurring

whatsoccurring UKBF Newcomer

22 4
    Ha that's the one, I'm Callum on there and the Shopify thread. We're everywhere then ;)

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 By: whatsoccurring Member since: Jan 4, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. schmexit

96 15
    Yes, because we're looking for answers and we're getting none from the government.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 By: schmexit Member since: May 7, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Vikkkkki

Vikkkkki UKBF Newcomer

7 0
    Same haha....I think the main reason is that this policy has too much influence on cross-border online merchants.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 By: Vikkkkki Member since: Jul 22, 2021
  6. Vikkkkki

Vikkkkki UKBF Newcomer

7 0
    Where is your warehouse located?

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 By: Vikkkkki Member since: Jul 22, 2021
  7. schmexit

96 15
    Unfortunately, here in the UK.

Posted: Jul 24, 2021 By: schmexit Member since: May 7, 2021
  8. TKJ-London

TKJ-London UKBF Newcomer

5 3
    Since HMRC has abandoned UK businesses and there's no tenable solution on the horizon for smaller online businesses, is anyone working with a warehousing/fulfilment service company in the EU? I sell books which are printed in EU and it makes no sense to ship pallets full over here only to face the problem of not being able to ship orders back into the EU.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 By: TKJ-London Member since: May 20, 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ADC

ADC Contributor

158 23
    Yes had to pay a company in EU to be my representative? Did it through my Chinese supplier though. Everything is cheaper in China, even EU representatives :)

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 By: ADC Member since: Jun 25, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. ADC

ADC Contributor

158 23
    So RM Click & Drop have really made a big F**K up this week.

We use csv upload to send our orders and before 1st July we read all the info from our account manager and on the website about how to set up IOSS numbers in the Settings > Trading Names section and then putting the Trading Name in the csv. Everything was going fine after 1st July with the IOSS number appearing in the Pre Tax Reg Number field on the CN22. Checked with the Royal Mail Account Manager sent her some labels and she said yes everything was fine.

Then this week I just for some other reason had to look at a label and noticed the IOSS number wasn't there. Looked back at the rest of the labels for this week... No IOSS number :-( So got on the phone to click and drop to find out what was going on. "Oh yes. We changed the system last week, you now have to include the IOSS Number in the CSV file, we have created a special field for it."

So they changed the system without telling us, thanks a lot Royal Mail. Utterly useless. Hopefully they realise the cost of their mistake when i knock off all the VAT that customers are going to have to pay (and we are going to have to refund back), off my Royal Mail Bill.

11. Morning

Morning UKBF Regular

80 38
    Yeah, I think it's fairly clear that C&D weren't doing things right in certain cases, up until the update on 22nd July. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of my labels from before that date did not include the IOSS number in their data.

But remember, the IOSS number shouldn't be on the label. That it was appearing on your CN22 was not correct. That's something that one of the updates actually fixed.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 By: Morning Member since: May 14, 2021
  12. ADC

ADC Contributor

158 23
    I didn't really know whether it was supposed to appear on the CN22 or not. But our account manager said it was correct. Now we are putting the IOSS number in the file, it doesn't appear but we have gained a an IOSS logo on the address label.

13. Morning

Morning UKBF Regular

80 38
    The IOSS number definitely should not appear on any label, no ifs no buts. Your account manager was misinformed. That your labels now have an IOSS logo shows that everything is correct, more than likely.

C&D support have been telling customers that even though the IOSS logo didn't appear on labels that the number was still in the data and everything would be ok. I don't think that was the case. Or perhaps the number was in the wrong data element, and when the receiving postal service inputted the data for the customs declaration, the packages were therefore not logged as IOSS consignments.

Posted: Jul 29, 2021 By: Morning Member since: May 14, 2021
  14. Richard NB

Richard NB UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    Hello, Im new to this forum and have a question about IOSS. We have registered for IOSS and have a reg number and we are now shipping to the EU using Royal Mail. The reg number is put on the customs form attached to the parcels.

We have customers receiving their parcels, so far in the Netherlands and Austria and the final couriers are still charging them fees and vat to receive their parcels.

Does anyone else have experience of this happening, if so Is this the courier's fault for not identifying the parcel has an IOSS reg number?

Duties have been paid at checkout, could we be missing something else or is this system not fully functional yet?

Thank you in advance.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 By: Richard NB Member since: Jul 30, 2021
  15. Morning

Morning UKBF Regular

80 38
    The system is functional, it's just that couriers and postal services - and presumably sellers - have been making mistakes.

Firstly, the IOSS number should not be visible on any document or label. It needs to be kept secret otherwise anyone could use the number and the registered entity will be liable for the VAT on those fraudulent packages.

The number is transmitted in the electronic data that accompanies a package. I'm fairly certain Royal Mail were doing this wrong in certain situations up until the 22nd, and it's possible couriers have also been making mistakes.

If a customer receives a VAT bill for an IOSS package, that means that it has - for whatever reason - not been declared as an IOSS package.

If an IOSS package has been sent for VAT collection, rather than being cleared for delivery, there could be a few reasons:
    1. The IOSS number in the data wasn't present, wasn't valid, or was included in the wrong data element.
    2. The package value (the intrinsic value not including shipping and insurance if those are separated on the invoice) was over 150 Euro. VAT collected at checkout must be calculated at the daily exchange rate, but customs use the monthly exchange rate (InforEuro). Therefore, if the actual amount paid in Euro is not visible on the package and the exchange rate difference pushes the value above 150 Euro, it will not be declared as an IOSS package.
    3. The package contains excise goods.
    Please note, duty is not collected on IOSS VAT-paid orders, as duty is not levied up to 150 Euro.

It's possible that declaring postal services and couriers could be making mistakes in the declaration too, or they're unable to correctly declare an IOSS package because the dispatching postal service or courier didn't correctly populate the electronic data.

I think Royal Mail have sorted themselves out with their July 22nd update, hopefully couriers will have done likewise.

Posted: Jul 30, 2021 By: Morning Member since: May 14, 2021
  16. NWH

NWH UKBF Newcomer

17 4
    eBay is now working fine for us when integrated into Click & Drop (we are not using eBay post options). When sending Large Letters the 100mg weight choice to Europe remains at £8.45 for First Class Tracked (we dont have a business account yet). Anyway, I dont think Tracked 24 is accepted at Post Office where we take our post to. The shipping label does not show IOSS number but it shows an IOSS type logo. I only wish we could continue to use our own web site for EU sales. The eBay commission is a killer for small priced products (circa £23 unit charge)

Posted: Jul 31, 2021 By: NWH Member since: Jun 29, 2021
  17. Freakzilla

Freakzilla UKBF Newcomer

42 2
    Are you sure that's correct. First Class tracked to Europe?

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 By: Freakzilla Member since: Jun 28, 2015
  18. NWH

NWH UKBF Newcomer

17 4
    Slip of the tongue....I meant to say, International Tracked and Signed

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 By: NWH Member since: Jun 29, 2021
  19. Foxxycarr

Foxxycarr UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    You should NEVER be able to see your IOSS number on the outside of a package. If someone else gets your number you could get VAT bills that are not yours and good luck sorting that out. This IOSS number thing is incredibly open for potential fraud. As stated above by @Morning this number has to be kept secret and never ever compromised.

Posted: Aug 1, 2021 By: Foxxycarr Member since: Jun 22, 2021
  20. fallschirmjaeger

fallschirmjaeger Contributor

191 30
    The IOSS number is not particular to an individual it is linked to a company like Ebay - which means its the same number for all! You will not receive VAT bills from someone else. If you look you will find various IOSS numbers on the Internet.

Posted: Aug 2, 2021 By: fallschirmjaeger Member since: Jul 17, 2014