Employer experiences of school leavers

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by DGEast, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DGEast

DGEast UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hello to all Employers,
    I need help please from employers willing to share their experiences of employing young people straight from an educational institution.
    I am specifically researching why there appears to be a very high "fall out" of young people who having successfully gained their first job, simply go on to leave within a year. Please give examples irrespective of reason for leaving be it they were dismissed or simply left of their own accord.
    (Did you later wish you had kept them on?)
    I am collating information to enable a comprehensive paper on this very subject.
    Please send me personal stories of both your bad and good experiences of employing a young person who left your business in their first year.
    Note: The report is aimed specifically at the first 12 months of a youngsters working life. The study will attempt to evaluate the effectiveness of existing work carried out by schools, colleges and universities in the preparation of students for a life in the workplace. However, the main objective is to help young people become employable so that they can enjoy a successful and productive career.
    (Remember; good experiences are also welcome)

Pease supply examples of "First time job seekers/employees" specifically:

1) Poor Job applications.
    2) Bad Interview experiences.
    3) Bad examples of a young person’s general work ethic and/or performance/behaviour.
    4) Incidents leading to young person dismissal.
    5) Incident/s or reason why the young person left your employment.
    (Comments will be treated as anonymous upon request)
    Email: denis at the bridge to work . org
    Many thanks in anticipation
    Denis East

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 By: DGEast Member since: Dec 19, 2011
  2. MissJovana

MissJovana UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    I'll share a bad/good experience here:

I hired a 17 year old, who had just left High School but was an ABSOLUTELY fantastic designer.

Seriously. My customers loved, loved his work and he was super affordable (for obvious reasons)... but his work ethic... man, did that stink.

He was constantly late with deadlines, permanently making excuses for not reaching the deadlines in time and just general poor work ethic.

I sat down which him and had a chat about work ethic, etc, but it just flew right over his lead.

Not all youngsters are like this (I started working online at the age of 16) but there is a large percentage who don't understand deadlines, customer service, etc.

As long as they're trained well - I don't think there should be a problem.

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 By: MissJovana Member since: Dec 19, 2011
  3. DGEast

DGEast UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Thank you for this repsonse as it certainly is a very good example of the lack in our education system which failed to prepare this young man for what life in the real world is like. Whilst this sort of behaviour is accepted in schools it's not acceptable in the commercial world where the customer is king and business environment dictates a need for a totally different attitude. Once again many thanks and kind regards Denis

Posted: Dec 19, 2011 By: DGEast Member since: Dec 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.