Employees and personal mobile phones

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by easiprint, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easiprint

easiprint UKBF Newcomer Free Member

611 134
    Interested in other peoples opinions on personal mobile phones in the workplace. Do you allow your employees to take the occasional personal phone call or text during working hours, or do you insist on having them turned off during working hours?

I've always taken the opinion that it's give and take with employees. I don't mind the odd text message as long as it does not interfere with their work. However I've recently taken on a new employee who whenever I go into the print room, can be seen quickly putting his phone back in his pocket. In addition, he has taken to putting his USB charger into a work computer to charge it up when he thinks I am not looking. I am having a word with him next week, and want to bring this up with him, but just wondered if others think he is taking the pee or if I am over reacting?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
    Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: easiprint Member since: Apr 22, 2008
  2. richardricki

richardricki UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 4
    He obviously thinks he shouldn't be doing it, since he hides it from you, so a bit of a warning could help clear the boundaries.

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: richardricki Member since: Apr 1, 2012
  3. lynxus

lynxus UKBF Ace Full Member

1,327 318
    Agreed.

If company policy is "Dont plug ANYTHING! non company into the machines" then you need to clear that up with him.

Then while "clearing" it up with him you can say. "Oh and you appear to be using your phone for personal calls and texts than most people. Can I ask that you keep it to a minimum during your shift."

That way your not saying "NO phones" you just saying, Fyi.. I know what your doing... Stop taking the piss.

--

At my office ( for my day job ) we are allowed pretty much free reign with our phones but you need to know the limits.
    If it interferes with work then NO! Or go outside and make up for it later.

As you said..
    Give & Take

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: lynxus Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  4. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,854 2,139
    My policy is no mobile phones at work. If there is an emergency there is a perfectly good land line that people can use to get in touch. If an employee is expecting an important call or text and did not get it as requested before they started work then if they ask I will make an exception.

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  5. lynxus

1,327 318

Just out of interest, What do your employees do?
    Seems quite strict..

( Not knocking your policy. Just wondered )

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: lynxus Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  6. easiprint

611 134
    Thanks all. There is a definite drop in his productivity when I am not in the print room. I am doing his three month review next week, so just wanted to see if others thought I was justified in asking him to lay off his phone during working hours.

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: easiprint Member since: Apr 22, 2008
  7. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,463 950
    My personal opinion is that i wouldnt mind unless its a text every 5-10 minutes.
    You cant charge it at work - thats just cheeky...and if it needs charging then its obviously being used too much for the battery to go.

I can see how you wouldnt want to do this but maybe saying i dont mind you using your phone but not all day. If its the odd text tis fine, you dont need to hide it from me and be secretive. But dont abuse it otherwise i will just ask for phones to be switched off at the start of th day - i dont want to treat you like a kid but if i have to i will.

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  8. AmazingGiftBoxes

AmazingGiftBoxes UKBF Regular Free Member

201 48
    Work is work, I understand if it is an emergency but I wouldn't allow texting or phone calls during work hours. If you give them a finger they want a hand and so on....

Jerry D

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: AmazingGiftBoxes Member since: Oct 30, 2011
  9. ElectrifireLtd

ElectrifireLtd UKBF Contributor Free Member

38 4
    I find they text or Facebook, while we've said facebook is for the van I find myself repeating it, sometimes with a reply of you go on Facebook outside of the van..... I pay the wages!

Every now and then I need to ring the employee to give instructions while lining a camera up for example, this could be replaced with 2 way radio but there are other situations when they're phone is usefull to the company so we have to be a little lenient.

Company phone and ban personal phone would be the answer for me but I believe in give and take, or I'm too soft

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: ElectrifireLtd Member since: May 8, 2010
  10. Moneyman

Moneyman UKBF Legend Free Member

2,729 785
    just tell him that you dont want to ban him, but if he doesnt cut down you will and tell him the productivity is suffering and he needs to get a grip. Most people take that sort of thing as ok.
    I have had to do it on a few occasions and sometimes people need an excuse to get a hold of an addiction or tell the other half to phone less.

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: Moneyman Member since: May 3, 2008
  11. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,039 486
    Yeah I agree, no personal calls etc at work unless it's an emergency.

Posted: Jun 9, 2012 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  12. smo

smo UKBF Ace Free Member

2,094 336
    We have a similar soft approach at work, unfortunately some employees do take the mick and use their phones all the time, the last one who went too far with this ended up unemployed!

Its hard to find the balance, I dont wish to enforce a draconian no-phones policy as several have reasons to keep it on such as young children/school contacts but I draw the line when its perpetual texts and/or calls.

As for facebook, i'm getting annoyed at this being quickly closed as I enter the room so I shall block it on the router for all machines with an aloowance between 12-1pm lunchtime access - simple solution!

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 By: smo Member since: Apr 3, 2010
  13. lynxus

1,327 318

Yeah, Its the same in my office.
    Some people really do take the piss but 99% of staff just use it here and there. ( Working in the communications industry ) its hard not to need to use your phone for alerts, messages etc but some peopel go too far.

As to blocking facebook on the router/firewall.. Ive been begging my boss to let me apply it but apparently it unfair to other staff.

Does my head in when I walk about the office seeing people always on facebook and youtube. while im working my fingers off.

All in all.
    Im a fan of the softly softly approach to everything.
    Im always in the mindset of ( If you get the job done and done properly then you can do whatever you want ) Just dont mess up or let work / timescales slide.

Some people are of the mindset of ( If you have time to text then you have time to do work ).. and i feel this is wrong.

Yes, They could probably be working even harder but if you push staff too hard then you either get burnout and illness, unhappy staff and too much staff turnover.

Its just not healthy for the staff, you and the company.

yes, work is work, but i fear in the UK we work too hard as it is and i feel a little give and take is all thats needed to make a job/company fun and happy to work for.

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 By: lynxus Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  14. easiprint

611 134
    Looks like the give and take approach is the more widely accepted, which is good as that is how I like to look at things. I'm going to make it known to all staff next week that personal texts should be kept to a minimum and see what happens. If no change, then sterner warnings by the end of the week!

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 By: easiprint Member since: Apr 22, 2008
  15. Team Leith Training

Team Leith Training UKBF Newcomer

1,460 265
    As i see it, if he is delivering, there is no problem. Fact is employees spend the lionshare of their time at work. We ask a lot of them. Overtime long hours. It is give and take but should be in moderation like anything else.

If the texting is interfering with productivity, time to say something. If the calls are disturbing productivity, the same. However if they are delivering to the high standard you require, then so be it.
    Just my opinion.

The other side of the coin is, if they are concentrating more on their phone than on the job clearly that needs addressing especially if there is potential for them to deliver more.

Posted: Jun 10, 2012 By: Team Leith Training Member since: May 8, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.