Employee taking time off for childcare- yet their spouse won't.

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by bodgitt&scarperLTD, May 8, 2021.

1. Andre78

Andre78 UKBF Contributor

160 17
    What am I missing here? The employee began a job, presumably under contact, to carry out x,y and z. Assuming the employee had children prior to starting the job then he is not adhering to his contractual obligations. A company can't run itself. You obviously make financial commitments in line with the work load and staffing you have taken responsibility for. You can't alter your business structure around the randomness of someone else's life.

Posted: May 8, 2021 By: Andre78 Member since: Feb 21, 2013
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    You cannot expect a parent to leave their 2 year old at home alone so that your business suffers no disruption. Especially when their right to take this time off is enshrined in law.

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE Verified Business ✔️

6,199 2,307
    I was left alone as a toddler and I ended up like this !

Bodgitt your going to have to negotiate and be flexible as it is not like it used to be and you dont want to end up with a tribunal

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  4. Andre78

Andre78 UKBF Contributor

160 17
    So then. My 6 month old. My wife looks after her during the day. My business fails. I get a full time job. My wife then decides to get a full time job. I can tell the company I want to take long term leave to look after a baby because I've changed my plans? And not expect to be fired?

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: Andre78 Member since: Feb 21, 2013
  5. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    We aren't talking here about long term leave., however, while no employer would agree to you taking lengthy paid leave, most would agree to unpaid leave or a sabbatical or career break, or whatever they call it.

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    Surely the care of the child is far more important than a job, never mind being a legal responsibility.

If an employee asks to take long term leave then employer decide whether to grant it or not. Some do - and get the employee back later. Some do not and let the employee go.
    However needing time off at very short notice in order to arrange childcare is not something the employer can interfere in. Part of the responsibility of the employee and a right.
    Does not mean the employer keeps that employee long term.

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Andre78

Andre78 UKBF Contributor

160 17
    Of course the child care is more important than the job. That is not up for debate.

I am really just trying to grasp the in's and out's of this predicament.

What if an employee just fancied doing a 4 day week and used "child care" as an excuse to get it.

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: Andre78 Member since: Feb 21, 2013
  8. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    They could request a 4 day week. Does not mean the employer will agree.

Of course, if there is a real need for a 4 day week and the employer refuses then the only option for the employee is leave and try and get a job that will factor in a 4 day week.

Posted: May 9, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017