Employee hours late

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Thomas Benford, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Thomas Benford

Thomas Benford UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 1
    I've just hired an agency worker on a temp to perm contract, we're nearing the end of their 2nd week.

It's the first time I've hired someone and it's only me running the business (wholesale and online shop).

She's been fantastic so far in every way and a big help.

But she has been very late every day. It's meant to be an 8am start but she usually arrives at 8:45. Today she texted to say she's late but will arrive before 9 then turned up at 9:20.

She was ill last week and blamed it on that. But today she says it's because she was up until 2am helping her friend and that actually she often stays up late. She struggles getting out of bed but obviously that's a symptom, not a problem.

I want to deal with the issue so it doesn't continue. I've done some reading on google but they're all about employees turning up 10 minutes late, not hours.

Does anyone have any advice please? Would it be unreasonable for me to threaten not taking her on permanently after temp contract finishes? Or I could simply state she needs to arrive before 8am tomorrow (for the first time). I've spoken to her about it a lot, show my disappointment often and we've shared ideas on how to get out of bed on time but none of that has helped.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 By: Thomas Benford Member since: Oct 8, 2018
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,945 1,630
    Do you want to keep her?

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,429 7,048
    You have two options either start her later (But I fear she will be late regardless of start time), or sit her down and inform her that she is causing you problems and that unless she can turn up on time you will need to find someone else.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  4. Thomas Benford

19 1
    I would like to keep her. Yesterday as a one off, we changed the start time to 12 because I was out in the morning and she still turned up 20 mins late (and blamed it on sleep again). Thanks yeah, I think 2nd option might be best option @OldWelshGuy

5. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,106 3,126
    You need to see this for what it is - an attitude problem. It is not important enough to her to turn up on time. You either explain that, unless she can be present by 8am every day for the next week, the last dy of that week will be her last day, or you accept that her good points outweigh this and you will just pay her for the time she actually spends at work. I would not recommend the latter.

As you have had conversations, I take it there is no 'structural' issue. If, for example, she uses public transport that gets her there for 7.30 or 8.30, you may consider changing her hours to accommodate that. otherwise, you need to establish what you expect from her and keep her to it.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  6. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,455 750
    This.

If arriving on time matters to your business, then someone who has already demonstrated a carelessness in that regard is not going to work out.

You have already proved that changing the hours to help would make no difference.

You have to either accept they come and go as they please, or find someone else.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  7. Thomas Benford

19 1
    Thanks for that, that's good advice and I think that's a good strategy to follow.

It's a shame because she's a really good employee and will be a loss but I find it disrespectful and need her here from 8 to help with work (AM work is particularly important). I think I'll tell her she needs to be here before 8 every morning next week or she has to go. Hopefully she can adapt.

8. deaytch

deaytch UKBF Regular Free Member

112 17
    Give her that chance, but make sure you've got it written and agreed to. Saves you hassle later on possibly!

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 By: deaytch Member since: May 15, 2018
  9. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

12,106 3,126
    You don't need to ask a member of staff to write to say they accept that they are expected to comply with their employment contract.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  10. deaytch

112 17
    Is there an employment contract? Of course they don't need to, but as per another post here it could bite him in the backside if not. Better safe than sorry; takes 2 minutes.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 By: deaytch Member since: May 15, 2018
  11. Thomas Benford

19 1
    As it's an agency worker, I'm certain I can just end the contract without giving a reason but I will double check. Thanks for raising that

12. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

2,866 671
    I wouldn't tell this person that they need to be "on time for the next week" because the sub text is that after that they can slip back into their old ways. I would tell them that their lateness is unacceptable and that they need to choose between staying up late and having this job. (Otherwise, even if they come in on time they are not going to be fit to work).

Posted: Mar 8, 2019 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  13. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Ace Free Member

1,322 243
    What does the agency say?

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  14. Thomas Benford

19 1
    The agency say I can terminate the contract without notice if I decide to.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Thomas Benford Member since: Oct 8, 2018
  15. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Ace Free Member

1,322 243
    Sorry, I meant what does the agency say about the timekeeping issue?

I'm thinking they may be better placed to have the initial short, sharp conversation needed?

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  16. Thomas Benford

19 1
    Ah, my mistake. Yes, the agency said they could talk to her.

On Friday I had a proper talk with her. I said that if she was late again, the agency would come in for a chat with her. And then the next time she was late then I would have to let her go.

She was on time on Monday but yesterday didn't turn up. She then called when she was already late asking if she could have the day off as she was unwell. I'm sure she actually just got out of bed late or stayed up late again so I fired her yesterday.

It's a shame but confident it's the right decision. I really appreciate all the advice, very useful thanks!

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: Thomas Benford Member since: Oct 8, 2018
  17. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,509 958
    2 weeks in and they are never/rarely on time...

[​IMG]

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  18. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,945 1,630
    Darn, not got all 10. Only been working for over 3 decades.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  19. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,163 917
    Definitely the right decision

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  20. deaytch

112 17
    Glad to hear you let her go.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: deaytch Member since: May 15, 2018