Email with 123-reg please help

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by mumsbiz, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mumsbiz

mumsbiz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

475 6
    Hi,

Please if anyone uses 123-reg for their domain and has an email account with another company please can you advice how to set-up the domain so my emails will arrive in my inbox.

I've got a domain with 123-reg and have a pop3 email account with Namesco but my emails are being returned undelivered, they told me to change the MX record which I have done but still isn't working, do I have to set-up the forwarding too, is there anything that I'm not doing, would be greatful for your help.

I have contacted them but it's waiting around for replies then they still can't fix it. :(

Many thanks

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: mumsbiz Member since: May 21, 2006
  2. AandP

AandP UKBF Newcomer Free Member

57 9
    If you have correctly set up the MX records I guess you should have no problems. It does take a few days to propogate so I don't know how long you have waited.

I had a similar systems and eventually put both the hosting and registration with the same company. Solves a lot of problems and is cheaper. I would recommend that you move one to the other and then you probably won't have any issues.

Bear in mind these companies make a negligable profit on this service so probably wont be too predisposed to helping!

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: AandP Member since: Jul 24, 2005
  3. mumsbiz

475 6
    Hi Andy,

Thank you, yes probably I'm being impatient, I set it up two days ago.

So do I only need to change the MX record, how about the mail forwarding do I just leave that blank? I previously had to forward my mails.

I did think of putting it in one company ie: 123-reg but their webmail does not allow me to send attachment and no auto replies.

Much appreciated.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: mumsbiz Member since: May 21, 2006
  4. miketombs

miketombs UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

536 29
    Get hold of Carl at CSNewmedia and all these hassles will disappear.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: miketombs Member since: Jan 13, 2007
  5. AandP

AandP UKBF Newcomer Free Member

57 9
    Mumsbiz

Depending on your budget and needs, Mike's suggestion of asking a techie might be appropriate.

No, you should not need to do anything with the forwarding once you set up the MX records. You will need to change your POP3 login/username/SMTP etc I would have thought.

I use 1and1 for both hosting and domain reg. All that you describe and a LOT more features come with their basic packages. I think they have one at £5 per month with additional domains. They have an easy to use control panel to.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: AandP Member since: Jul 24, 2005
  6. miketombs

536 29
    I didn't think of Carl for his 'techie' skills - he just happens to have a really good and easy-to-use hosting service.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: miketombs Member since: Jan 13, 2007
  7. Dizzydiza

Dizzydiza UKBF Newcomer Free Member

903 35
    Hi mumsbiz
    Im not techie minded but I have my website hosted with 123 reg.
    To forward email from an email you have created to your pop 3 account you need to go into your control panel on 123reg.
    Go to Manage Domain
    Click Modify Domain button
    Click Email Forwarding
    In the section type in the email address you are using and in the next box type in where it is to be forwarded to then scroll to the bottom and Click Update Forwarding button.
    In my case my email address I use is [email protected] and all emails are forwarded to my *****@blueyonder.co.uk email address.
    Hope this is what your looking for and helps you.
    Di

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: Dizzydiza Member since: Apr 29, 2006
  8. Carl-CSNM

Carl-CSNM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5,209 208
    Who is your website hosted with? Namesco?

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: Carl-CSNM Member since: Apr 9, 2006
  9. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,561 266
    But then when you write from your blue yonder account it will show it to the people that you write to even if you have a different reply to address.

Unless there is a way around this that I do not understand.

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  10. Dizzydiza

903 35
    In your pop 3 account you have to create your business email there and I created a filter so that the email from my website would go into that account
    When i email my clients there is a drop down menu that allows me to send it using my business email address instead of my personal email address. I use mozilla thunderbird as my email client so I can only try to explain how to do this using that client. I'm afraid i'm not familiar with any other email client

Posted: Oct 22, 2007 By: Dizzydiza Member since: Apr 29, 2006
  11. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,561 266
    I still think that that is just a reply to address and that the real address underneath is still revealed.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  12. Dizzydiza

903 35
    Hi page
    I have had a look at a sent email from my business address to my personal email address on the email itself it only shows my business address. When you go into message source I couldnt see anything that gave away my personal address. I tried it also with yahoo and again I couldnt see my personal email address at all.
    Remember you are creating a new alias account on your pop3 mail and then creating a filter for emails to go into that address when you are downloading email.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 By: Dizzydiza Member since: Apr 29, 2006
  13. miketombs

536 29
    Transfer everything to Carl and your problems will melt away. Autoforwarding is really easy to set up with the right host.

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 By: miketombs Member since: Jan 13, 2007
  14. mumsbiz

475 6
    Hi,

Thank you to each and everyone's replies and advice here. Much appreciated.

I do not have a website for my domain as yet, so no hosting but I have purchased the domain from 123-reg and then purchased an email package account with Namesco no hosting.

What I did previously was forwarded all my emails to my yahoo address then log-in to my Namesco to reply to those emails however as I forwarded my emails to my yahoo thery're not save in my inbox via Namesco and that's why I now wanted all my emails to go to my inbox at Namesco and still giving me a headache. :mad:

I understand what Di is saying, she is doing what I used to do with my email, she forwards it to a non business email address then log-in to her business email account to reply and no the recipient will not see her blueyonder email address because she doesn't use that to reply and she only uses it to forward her email to.

Many thanks guys

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 By: mumsbiz Member since: May 21, 2006
  15. Carl-CSNM

Carl-CSNM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5,209 208
    If you don't have a website it's easy, just change your "domain nameservers" at 123-Reg to point to Namesco no need to mess around with forwarding and MX records. Namesco support should be able to help you with this.

It sounds like you want to use a "store & forward" option.

i.e. new email comes in, it gets forwarded to your personal email address and also stays in your Namesco account so you can reply that way?

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 By: Carl-CSNM Member since: Apr 9, 2006
  16. mumsbiz

475 6
    Hi Carl,

Thank you for the advice. I have now changed the nameserver to Namesco but what do I do with the MX record as I changed it to the Namesco MX record yesterday do I now put it back to the 123-reg ones or leave it as it is?

How long do I have to do a test email?

Many thanks

Posted: Oct 23, 2007 By: mumsbiz Member since: May 21, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.