Email size limit

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by KM-Tiger, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger Verified Business ✔️

10,147 2,775
    I've just upped the email message_size_limit on a customer's server to 40Mb, as they need, from time to time, to send large files.

This is to recipients who will have no problem with that size, and the send is direct.

But out of curiosity, what does anyone else here who looks after mailservers set the limit to?

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  2. nickpp

nickpp UKBF Contributor

236 11
    for some account we do not limit, other as high as 250.

Bit different for us though as we are only concerned with disk space.

Basically if a customers uses all the available disk space to them keeping loads of big emails, then thats their choice!

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 By: nickpp Member since: Aug 11, 2008
  3. Dwebs-Ltd

Dwebs-Ltd UKBF Legend

2,062 264
    Biggest problem with large attachments is the clients ability to send them from their email client. Usually they are on connections with slow upload which means it takes forever then they get timeout errors.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 By: Dwebs-Ltd Member since: Nov 29, 2007
  4. ozbon

ozbon UKBF Big Shot

748 165
    While not a hosting company, I'd normally advise a client that if they're dealing with big files, I'd recommend to have a space on their website domain where they can keep the files, then provide the recipients with a link to it.

So they'd add a link in the email to say "Go to www.site.com/documents/thisone.doc" or whatever. They'd be able to use FTP to get the document onto the site - far more reliable than trying to send it by email - and as an added bonus, they could check it's been seen by the recipients by checking their web-server logs...

If you wanted to get really fancy, you could sort out a document download script, so they'd go to www.site.com/documents/35 (or whatever) , use .htaccess to redirect that to (again, for example) download_document.php?file_id=35 . That script sends the file, but also emails the sender to say "xyz has downloaded their document". It'd be a bit more admin-intensive (for uploading the file, and adding a record to the database to get a file_id ) but it'd be a nice bit of workflow...

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 By: ozbon Member since: Apr 24, 2008
  5. Quantum23

Quantum23 UKBF Newcomer

16 0
    Hey

I usually cap it at 50 MB depending on the requirements of the business, and the capabilities of the network. Some larger companies I've worked for have requested it to be lower to prevent workers sending each other folders full of holiday snaps etc.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
    Posted: Aug 6, 2009 By: Quantum23 Member since: Aug 6, 2009
  6. Dominic Taylor

Dominic Taylor Full Member

1,169 254
    Our clients will commonly need to send 20 - 30Mb emails....I think the record is 400Mb or so (!)

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 By: Dominic Taylor Member since: Jun 19, 2008
  7. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger Verified Business ✔️

10,147 2,775
    Thanks for those suggestions.

As it happens their office is in the same building as a data centre, so their 'internet connection' is actually 10Mbs ethernet straight into the data centre. So speed is not an issue on the upload, at around 10-20 times ADSL speed.

It transpires that users had been using personal email accounts to get round the work server limitation, so it has been working for them.

I'll see how they get on.

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  8. Comspec

Comspec Verified Business ✔️

7,118 1,483
    I want my office in the same building as a data centre.... but little chance of that where I live :(

KM.... wanna come live in the sticks for a while, kinda a swap ??

Posted: Aug 6, 2009 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.