Efficient payment methods

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Mistafiss, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Mistafiss

Mistafiss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    Hi, new member here
    I currently run a garden maintenance company and I’m after some efficient methods of receiving payment from my customers on a regular basis instead of always having to chase people all the time! There has to be an easier way, any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: Mistafiss Member since: Nov 19, 2019
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

17,626 2,005
    Cash.
    Standing order
    Direct debit
    PayPal invoice

You may still need to chase some customers. May want to see about getting some better payers and drop the customers taking too much if your time.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. DrinkMan

DrinkMan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    - It would be great if your customers agreed to setting up direct debts with you, for your regulars it may be worth asking them to do so.
    - also, do you use something like izettle, to take card payments on the go?

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: DrinkMan Member since: Nov 19, 2019
  4. StevePoster

StevePoster UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,025 146
    Aside from cash, it would be an easy payment by using an app in which your customers can pay anytime anywhere.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
  5. ecommerce84

ecommerce84 UKBF Regular Free Member

590 188
    Standing order would be best for regular work, as lo as they don’t cancel it.

What about an iZettle or SumUp machine to take cards? People may not have cash ‘there and then’ but they’ll have a card.

Sure, there is a small fee but it’s better than chasing customers and you don’t have to cart cash off to the bank either.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: ecommerce84 Member since: Feb 24, 2007
  6. Socio South West

Socio South West UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

883 220
    A lot depends on who your client base is, and how you are handling your charging. A bit more knowledge of your customer base and amounts involved would get you better advice

If you are invoicing after the job, then up the rate by say 5% and offer 5% prompt settlement discount.
    If it is direct to small householder customers then equipping yourself for card settlement will get round the 'no cash' excuse without costing a fortune... but you do have to acknowledge the cost in your rates
    Unless you have regular contracts Standing Order/Direct Debit arrangements aren't likely to be much use to you.

Getting invoices settled promptly is as much being organised yourself as knowing your customer base.

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: Socio South West Member since: Mar 24, 2013
  7. HarrisH

HarrisH UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14 1
    Hey @Mistafiss,

To start with, welcome to UKBF! :)

If they're recurring customers, have you considered using a Direct Debit scheme? I'm aware of a provider called GoCardless who are pretty much instant to get set-up with since they're end-to-end (doesn't require a website and they provide all the online payment forms).

I'd attach a link but I'm pretty new around here too and need 30 comments to do so - a simple Google search should do :)

Naturally, it'll be with you to draw up any contracts but it's probably worth a shot!

Hope that helps - keep us updated!

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: HarrisH Member since: Nov 1, 2018
  8. WorkingFromHome35

WorkingFromHome35 UKBF Contributor Full Member

32 3
    It helps if you use a good invoicing system. It can contain all your customer information and allows you to set up recurring bills. The system automatically generates invoices and emails them to the customer with a covering message you can design. You can edit the template so it includes all the ways to pay and prompts people to use a sensible reference number or set up a direct debit. Of course, you are always going to have to do some leg work to get paid but the right system can help you by prompting customers and yourself that action needs to be taken.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: WorkingFromHome35 Member since: Aug 15, 2019
  9. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

9,125 3,589
    This!

The farrier who does our horses has a credit card machine.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013