Ecommerce startup and Sole trader status

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Jase Brown, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Jase Brown

Jase Brown UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi

I'm a newbie on this site but I'm looking for advice on the best way to setup an ecommerce business as a Sole trader.
    I have dabbled with ecommerce in the past and registered for self assessment but de-registered about 3 years ago. I have retained the domain name but have been thinking about restarting.

I understand that I can register under my own name and can use a "trading as" along with the business name which could be the domain of the business but how do I register if in the future I have multiple income streams or small business sidelines?
    e.g.

If I had one business it would be registered as "My name" - Trading as ABCsupplies.com.

If I had multiple smaller businesses in the future, how would that work for sole trader as I would want them to be grouped together such as:
    Regestered as "My name" - Trading as "My name Enterprises" but will still have income streams from ABCsupplies.com
    website no2.com
    website no 3.com
    Amazon store
    Ebay Store
    Shopify Store.

Is it as simple as just putting a footer on the home page of each website that states "my name trading as "My name Enterprises" regardless of what the website name is?

Apologies if this is a daft question but I'm wanting to get all the legal bits correct first before i make the jump.
    Thanks
    Jason

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 By: Jase Brown Member since: Aug 19, 2020
  2. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

16,895 3,595
    Yes as long as you disclose your own name and address you should be ok.

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010
  3. Jase Brown

Jase Brown UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks for the advice Scalloway

Posted: Aug 19, 2020 By: Jase Brown Member since: Aug 19, 2020
  4. Vin Gupta

Vin Gupta UKBF Contributor Free Member

43 5
    Best of luck

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 By: Vin Gupta Member since: Nov 23, 2020
  5. MichelleB-UK

MichelleB-UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 2
    Don't think the name matters too much as far as HMRC is concerned but to make things easier I would go with a generic company name as you suggest like My Name T/A Whatever Enterprises. Your domains can be individual and you can run as many websites and marketplaces as you wish and do not need to reference your trading name except in terms and conditions and maybe payment processing.

Things might get tricky if a customer purchases from ABC supplies website then on their bank statement it reads My Name T/A Whatever Enterprises - if they don't recognise it they may query the transaction.

My advice would be it is better to run 1 website really well in a good niche rather than 3 websites run ok or badly. It will be tough putting in the work for several websites especially factoring in all that is needed to succeed such as marketing, SEO, Social Media Management etc.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 By: MichelleB-UK Member since: Nov 24, 2020
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

27,395 3,363
    Even better if you can run multiple websites really well. Takes time and effort to build up to that though, difficult for a new starter.

Posted: Nov 26, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017