eCommerce 'Hubs'?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by JPMiddleton, Mar 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPMiddleton

JPMiddleton UKBF Regular Free Member

276 35
    So do these exist or have I just planted a seed for someone to start a business?

I've been looking around Leeds where we're based to see if such as a thing as a business centre or hub specifically for eCommerce businesses exist, but I doubt it.

There are many people I know who currently work from home who would consider moving to a rented location if it was value for money and catered well for eCommerce businesses (deliveries, pooling postal services, couriers, along with reception and the usual business centre stuff).

At the moment i'm split between home and a storage unit which is used to house excess stock and to pack larger orders and receive big deliveries, and would feel like a warehouse unit is too much for me but an office in a business centre probably not enough.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 By: JPMiddleton Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  2. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,175 1,076
    or planted a seed for you to start the business!

start one in Leeds, then another in Manchester, then franchise,,,,millions ££££

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  3. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,432 653
    There are locations that offer both office and storage space, would they not do what you want?

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  4. JPMiddleton

JPMiddleton UKBF Regular Free Member

276 35
    From what i've seen they tend to be either too big or way too small.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 By: JPMiddleton Member since: Aug 18, 2011
  5. a1anm

a1anm UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

731 79
    I have never come across such a thing. If it doesn't already exist it should!

I think it sounds like a great idea.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 By: a1anm Member since: Jan 29, 2011
  6. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,175 1,076
    If you look at the bog standard "business centre" run by councils and private companies, they tend to be office or workshop space with a shared reception.

If you add to that a shared marketing platform, shared postage, shared fulfilment, etc, it could be a useful offer.

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  7. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,432 653
    Posted: Mar 26, 2014 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  8. RepricerExpress

RepricerExpress UKBF Regular Full Member

200 50
    Yeah, this sort of thing is definitely on the rise. I wrote a blog about it based on this BBC report: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25336446 . I think it mentions a Scottish company operating something like this and features some London sellers. There seems to be a market for it for sure and if it's not catered for yet in Leeds, then you're on to something!

Posted: Mar 26, 2014 By: RepricerExpress Member since: Sep 5, 2013
  9. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,749 644
    We used to work from a co-working hub in Reigate. It was aimed at freelancers and small businesses so that they could share ideas/network etc. One of the companies there did indeed sell satellite broadband to companies in Africa and stored stock there. They were the only ecom company though.

Self-storage can be a good start. Some of our clients made the transition from home to Easistore and then to their own warehouse space. There are a load of advantages to self-storage such as:
    • Very short contracts
    • Space can be expanded and contracted with your stock levels - only pay for what you use
    • Some have office space and free wi-fi
    • Security is very good
    • There were at least 3 ecom businesses at Easistore (Crawley)
    • Couriers were happy to pick up there

Posted: Mar 27, 2014 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.