EC2 Server For 50-100 Websites

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by consultant, Nov 19, 2019.

1. consultant

consultant Your Business Community Staff Member

5,498 762
    Does anyone use Amazon EC2 platform to host 50-10 WP/Joomla websites?

If so, what type of instance do you use or recommend?

M4 seems a little bit of overkill. T2-Medium or Large looks like a good balance.

The sites will all be relatively low volume, maybe a couple of ecommerce with limited products (dozens).

Cpanel/WHM & WHMCS will also be installed to manage things.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  2. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,058 277
    No. Personally I would not use AWS for simple virtual machines (assuming other AWS services aren't needed), it's overkill and overpriced for the requirements. I would generally use DigitalOcean (if not Linode) for this type of use case.

I would also generally avoid hosting different websites on the same server but for the amount you're hosting - and due to the fact they're low volume - it's probably the best option from an administrative point of view, just make sure they're all isolated to separate system users. I would in this case also use a control panel as it will just make life easier for this many websites.

Not overly familiar with AWS instance types but in your situation I would:
    1. Set up test instances to check the general performance of your stack; then
    2. Start with the smallest instance which has the response time you want while idle; then
    3. Increase the instance size as required as you load on websites and traffic increases.
    Nobody can really tell you "instance X is the right size" as it's highly dependent on how much traffic you receive, the type of traffic you receive (e.g. are there peak times) and how well optimised your websites are on the server side.

The 2 vCPU's and 4GB-8GB RAM in the types you've mentioned seems an okay starting point, I guess it would depend on the type of CPUs provided. Looking at the pricing it seems you're paying $40/month for that type without transfer and storage costs. DigitalOcean will give you 2 dedicated CPU threads and 4GB RAM for $40/month with 25GB disk space and 4TB transfer. If you are happy with lower grade shared CPU's (as the t2.medium seems to offer? burstable performance) then DigitalOcean can do 2 shared threads, 4GB RAM, 4TB transfer and 80GB storage for $20/month. I know price isn't everything but DigitalOcean have been solid for me. I can't actually think of any unplanned downtime (London DC) in the past few years, certainly nothing significant. The main benefit is the simplicity and not having to cross-check various tables to work out what type of instance you want or need, also no unexpected data transfer costs - the same bill every month. Not to slate AWS, the service is just more suitable to large, enterprise and automated deployments in my opinion.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. consultant

5,498 762
  4. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Regular Full Member

471 88
    Are you going to use RDS, Cloudfront etc? That will take load of your instances. You can then spin up multiple small instances behind an AWS load balancer and vary the number with load. That is how you should use AWS.

If you are just using an AWS instance as a VPS, its a waste of money.

I also think you should consider lots of small VPSs instead of one large one. It may not be the right solution but often is.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  5. consultant

5,498 762
    @gpietersz I am thinking one server that will have webserver & db's.

For the larger sites, with a lot of images, Cloudfront might be an option.

6. gpietersz

471 88
    Then, I would say do not use AWS. Its only worth it if you are using multiple AWS services. Digital Ocean or Linode which @Mike Hayes mentions are good options (I have customers using both quite happily). I use Upcloud myself. There are a lot of others in the business.

7. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,909 2,631
    Agree with the other posters that AWS might not be the best route to what amounts to a VPS.

But 100 sites is quite something to set up and maintain and monitor. I presume it will matter whether all are working correctly or not. If you are going to use a third party to do this work, you would do well to approach them and let them propose a solution to meet your requirements.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  8. gpietersz

471 88
    Good point about maintenance and monitoring. I like to script and automate stuff things where possible.

For the Wordpress sites perhaps multisite might be appropriate?

9. consultant

5,498 762
    Thanks all.

Amazon does do something called Lightsail which is a packaged version of their services, which does offer better, more controllable value.

However, it appears to be twice the price (spec for spec) as DO or Vultr (who I have also used).

Maybe I need to review the whole thing!

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  10. bluenun

bluenun UKBF Regular Full Member

488 49
    Ok first things first - why do you do run them on your own AWS instance ?
    Could you not use a 'normal' hosting company and then use Cloudflare on the front end ?
    50 WP sites - is wordpress multisite an option for you ?

I guess it also depends on how much traffic you think you'll be getting, EC2 seems a perfect fit for this - should you sites go 'viral'

I run plenty of websites using a hosting company, with cloudflare in front of them , and my ecommerce solutions lives in an EC2 instance.
    Would love to hear more re your setup, as I was (as a side project) going to setup some sites solely using AWS , just to refresh my memory.
    From experience - large Co's will use Azure (just because they want to stay microsoft centric) whilst purely commercial businesses go down the AWS route - as from what I have seen and compared AWS is far more advanced and flexible and affordable...happy to hear others thoughts

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: bluenun Member since: Dec 11, 2008
  11. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,383 167
    DO and Vultr would offer you unmanaged VPS, are you comfortable with other management activities. Because even if they are small website 50 to 100 sites that too wordpress and joomla which requires regular monitoring and security updates, is quit a task. Plus you wont be able to use email services with them.
    If budget is not a problem for you check for managed vps providers.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  12. consultant

5,498 762
    My management skills are OK (but could be a lot better) and we have been running our own server/s (hardware & VPS) for several years.

Initially, many of the sites will be our own and the plan is any we add will also be managed by us. When the volume/workload demands, we would look at having someone dedicated to managing this.

Posted: Nov 26, 2019 By: consultant Member since: Jan 21, 2008
  13. gpietersz

471 88
    Two things to consider for sysadmin

1. Get a sysadmin instead of a managed server. There are some freelancers I have noticed on here who do that.
    2. Automated stuff. Especially if you have a lot of similar sites, you should automate things like updates

Posted: Nov 27, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019