Ebay buyer moaning when i sold a faulty item

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by puffin, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puffin

puffin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

344 28
    I sell an item via ebay, clearly saying sold in item condition for parts or not working, spares or repairs faulty, no refunds.

Now the person has opened an ebay/paypal case basically saying they are unfixable, item not as described?

How will this go in paypal?

I am fighting it all the way, because if you cannot even sell an item describing it as faulty, how the hell are you meant to sell something for parts etc?

Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 By: puffin Member since: May 20, 2010
  2. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend Staff Member

20,430 7,048
    The goods have to have been decribed acurately, if you have said spares or repair, and the item can't be repaired, he might have a case for a refund.

This will be a test of the new Ebay rules.

Ideally though common sense dictates that something sold as not working is not working :)

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  3. puffin

344 28
    New ebay rules?
    How do you mean?
    I will let people know what the outcome is.

4. papverpoppies

papverpoppies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,713 2,214
    Not sure if this explains what you need to know.

POppy xx

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 By: papverpoppies Member since: Apr 8, 2009
  5. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,039 486
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, after my recent experience with Ebay, they are all for the seller and not the buyer....

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  6. puffin

344 28
    It's been months and months since a case has been opened, and ALWAYS before the buyer has won.

Could you explain what you mean?

7. papverpoppies

6,713 2,214
    I do not think that is true, not anymore.
    As a buyer I have won 3 cases over the last 2 months.

No goods arrived (not hard to understand that one)!
    Item was not as described, it had been used, and was sold as new!
    Item smashed to bits in post due to pathetic wrapping.

Ebay have really tightened up these days on sellers.

Also I find that comment (I should not worry, Ebay are all for the seller not the buyer) unprofessional.

Ebay should be for the person whos grievance is genuine there are too many shoddy sellers on Ebay, trying to make a fast buck, and they ruin it for the good sellers.
    Ebay should not be used to sell rubbish and rip of the buyers (unless) as the other poster states, they are told it is not working.

Its comments like that, which put me off Ebay.

Poppy xx

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  8. puffin

344 28
    But poppy it works both ways..
    You say
    "Ebay should be for the person whos grievance is genuine there are too many shoddy sellers on Ebay, trying to make a fast buck, and they ruin it for the good sellers."

But from my personal view, it is the buyers that are wanting to make the fast buck.
    Buyers like this person I'm dealing with, RUIN EBAY

9. Richie N

4,039 486
    Grr wrote a whole comment and lost connection.....

Anyways back to Ebay, I purchased an item that was delivered faulty (was supposed to be new).
    I asked the seller to collect it or to return it, they didn't respond.
    I kept getting fobbed off by the seller for weeks, the seller actually provided me with a false name and address (at the time of purchase I didn't know), so I involved the police. They didn't do much about it.
    I asked Ebay to investigate into the seller and provide me with the seller's correct contact details, they never.
    I had to do my own investigation work as neither were bothered, although I have lost £600 and have an item that doesn't work.
    I obviously raised a case with Ebay, it's now been 6/7 weeks and still not resolved.
    Each time I call I get an overseas call centre who can't even say my name, let alone help me with this.
    I have lost faith in Ebay and am currently seeking legal advice whether I can take action against Ebay for not assisting me with the information I require.

10. Richie N

4,039 486
    And to add to my comment, I even emailed the Ebay "Law Enforcement Team" the correspondence I had sent to the seller, even the Policeman's contact details with the case reference number etc...nothing was followed up by either of them.
    Absolutely shocking.

Although, I just heard that a kid got nicked for taking a mars bar in a shop......

The police are more interested in these crimes than doing any real hard work and trying to resolve fraud and dodgy sellers.

11. papverpoppies

6,713 2,214
    I know it works both ways, and I am really sorry for the genuine sellers, which I think there are more of, then the baddies!

But, some sellers do not give a monkeys, they set up for a few weeks, and then vanish, or come back to do the same under another name using different bank details etc.

I, also know that some buyers are real pains in the (you know what), I see them at my craft fayres, they want it ALL for nothing.

All you can try and do is not give them the leaway to be able to get one over on you (not much of a defense) but what else is there?

Its a catch 22 really, with online auction sites, they need the sellers, to bring in the buyers, the buyers need the sellers, and the sellers need the buyers, but you will always get some folks on both sides who spoil it.

Hope it goes well for you, just make sure you check ALL of Ebays rules and regs, so if it happens again, you will not need to worry.

Poppy xx

12. papverpoppies

6,713 2,214
    Of that I cannot disagree.
    Fraud is easy today, that is why so many people make a living from it.

Poppy xx

13. puffin

344 28
    Yeah i completely agree with both of you.

We'll wait and see, I've escalated it to a dispute.

It'll more than likely go in the buyers favour as usual, but I will appeal all the way..

Thanks guys

14. TotallySport

TotallySport UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,955 1,028
    If you want to be covered by paypal protection, then it should have been sent via a trackable means, if you have sent it by trackable means, simply enter the tracking information into paypal, and paypal will only refund when the item has been returned.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 By: TotallySport Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  15. Christine Hough

Christine Hough UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,117 602
    I hate to say it but my son went out of business becasue always the Paypal decisions went to the buyer.

They would say that they had not received the item. He sent recorded and got the confirmation from the PO. But still it went against him!

And trying to talk to a person at Paypal is impossible.

It happened repeatedly as if the buyers in his sector knew that the decision always went in their favour.

Posted: Jul 4, 2010 By: Christine Hough Member since: Mar 31, 2006
  16. smallbusiness-uk

smallbusiness-uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

194 33

the seller makes them more cash!! of course, they will always be on your side

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 By: smallbusiness-uk Member since: Jun 3, 2010
  17. Beachcomber

Beachcomber UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,730 3,012
    If only it were that simple.
    There are very, very simple ways for an unscrupulous buyer to ensure they get a refund despite the goods being just as described - and many do it for fun. I won't go into details here but suffice to say it is so easy to defraud eBay sellers using paypal it is joke.

I was a seller on eBay for many years shifting hundereds of items per month but I would not touch the place now other than to sell the odd bit of unwanted household stuff - anyone who relies on eBay for anything more than 20% of their business has their head on the block and is waiting for the chop - and it's not a case of 'if' but 'when'

Yet another case of a company which generates such huge turnover it suceeds despite the best efforts of those in charge.

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 By: Beachcomber Member since: Apr 29, 2009
  18. KDMINX

KDMINX UKBF Newcomer Free Member

659 101
    My experiance is exactly the opposite!

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 By: KDMINX Member since: Jan 6, 2010
  19. MH1

MH1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,585 488
    Fair advice, the same applies too major clients, never put all your eggs into one basket, never become too reliant on any single client or sales channel, never risk your income by exposing yourself to too much debt from a single client, the list goes on, all commonsense, so often forgotten by people so easily.

I turned away a major client for this simple reason, they would have accounted for 90% of my turnover, despite the offer being tempting in a previous recession. A competitor decided to deal with them, one year later they went bankrupt due too poor cash flow from this major client.

The customer then asked me to take over the contract, again I refused, once again another company who decided to take it on went too the wall. End result over fifty guys made redundant in two years simply because people became greedy and forgot simple commonsense.

Posted: Jul 5, 2010 By: MH1 Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  20. KDMINX

KDMINX UKBF Newcomer Free Member

659 101
    Very wise advice. It's very difficult to think of that when one big customer or one sales channel starts to dominate.

Obviously if you set up a business with the aim of servicing one customer or sales channel then your (metaphorical) head truly is on the block!

This is particularly true if your main channel is eBay. The way they treat their customers (sellers) is legendary for its arrogance and disregard!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    Posted: Jul 5, 2010 By: KDMINX Member since: Jan 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.