eBay - Alternative address 5 days later..

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by antp__, Mar 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antp__

antp__ UKBF Regular Free Member

175 25
    Hello all,

Hope you have all had a good day. I have a little rant to get off my chest. This has never been an issue in the past. Now, twice in a week. Coincidence or not?

1st issue. Someone purchased an item from me the end of last week. Now we all know you don't always have time to check the address label over and make sure they are correct. You print them out, stick them on the parcel / giffy bag and send them on their way. My items are small enough to be placed in a giffy bag and sent large letter.

This person didn't message me until 1 hour after I had already dispatched the item saying "sorry, i didn't put my house number on ebay. it's ***. thanks". Now, I have already sent this item, and taking it on the chin as a genuine mistake sent another one. Luckily a lower cost item too.

2nd issue, within a week period. A customer purchased an item from me. Again, small enough to go in a giffy bag and not cost effective to send tracked. 5 days later they send me a message saying. "sorry, i forgot to mention. i need these sent to X Y Z address, thanks".

Order was placed on Thursday night, dispatched Friday morning. Messaged received this evening.
    Again, another low cost item which if they get shirty about it I will send another item. This isn't the problem if I'm honest.

My issue is with eBay. I got on the phone to them to ask their opinion and to log any fishy behavior and quite simply report the buyers. I said if the customer is to leave feedback saying item never arrived etc where do I stand as they messaged me telling me out right the addresses were wrong.

The response I got was "We go down the route of tracking first of all. As these are not tracked, we then get proof of dispatch. If this cannot be shown the feedback and case would remain on your account". Well this bends me right over as I use large letter stamps. Yes, my own fault but its the most cost effective way around it. I'm just surprised eBay wouldn't help out straight away considering both buyers messaged after dispatch trying to change their address.

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 By: antp__ Member since: Mar 30, 2014
  2. silvermusic

silvermusic UKBF Ace Free Member

2,162 586
    Only ever send to the PayPal address provided, they can change the postage address during the payment process on eBay. Too late after it's posted that's the buyers fault not yours.

It's up to the customer to provide a correct and complete address, it's actually part of the eBay user agreement. At this stage I wouldn't worry about feedback you might get. Report the buyer who has an incomplete address to eBay, and tell the buyer you're doing so. You're not a mind reader and neither are Royal Mail.

I do know how you feel with eBay addresses, their verification process is non-existent and people can enter any old rubbish, I tend to look and check a lot more with eBay addresses, does it make sense, if in doubt check it online. House/flat numbers or names missing are far too common for my liking.

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 By: silvermusic Member since: Nov 22, 2008
  3. antp__

175 25
    As I say, it is partly my fault I'll admit (with the missing house number) as 9/10 I do check. That or if a postcode doesn't quite look right I'll check it on postcode finder or 192. It just so happened to be a day I had a stock delivery and wanted to get orders done.

Regarding the 'changing address'. I agree. I do only send items to the address given through checkout however it was frustrating the way eBay dealt with me on the phone. Even though this is in the eBay user agreement. Having a message direct from the customer saying, 'can you send here bla bla' they were still saying feedback could remain if you can't actually prove the item has been sent. This is fair enough if it's a normal INR case. But a case AFTER the customer has told me they put the wrong address? It's ridiculous.

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 By: antp__ Member since: Mar 30, 2014
  4. silvermusic

2,162 586
    There's many reasons I'm gradually winding down the business I do on eBay, it's like some mad, crazy, nonsensical game some days. Too much stress and too little profit. It's still a good platform but I'm expanding elsewhere now. I'll probably keep less than 200 listing on eBay eventually, just the best sellers.

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 By: silvermusic Member since: Nov 22, 2008
  5. IanG

IanG UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

965 203
    I try to check but you're right - the stock Ebay answer is if its not tracked then you're out of luck.

Obviously for a few quid, you'd never do that.

I would think you should do OK in any case which arises though - have either of these gone that far?

Posted: Mar 17, 2015 By: IanG Member since: May 8, 2011
  6. antp__

175 25
    I wish I could say the same. The market I'm in its fantastic and gradually growing each day. The items I sell are all under £10. Which is why I take it on the chin and send items out again but there comes a point where it's taking the p*ss and then to be further wound up by eBay.

I built a website when I first started last December and didn't have 1 single sale through 8 months. I handed out little business cards with each order. 1 side saying thank you the other with discount codes and my website link. Still, any repeat customers just came back to eBay. I got indexed on Google but didn't get much traffic let alone conversions. It wasn't a major issue at the time as I didn't have high hopes nor know what to expect. Now I see sales increasing daily I can see the potential.

@IanG I am yet to hear back from the first customer. But then I did send their item out again with the house number on so they probably see no need to contact me again just yet.

The second customer has been quite nice about it all and held their hands up. They said they'll get to the original address and try an retrieve the item. Turns out there are genuine customers out there and admittedly I got my back up from word go. BUT, when customers are willing to help the sellers out and be honest about it all, it makes you more inclined to help them out too.

As mentioned though, the point wasn't to get at the buyers, it was more a rant about eBay's reaction to such situation.

Posted: Mar 18, 2015 By: antp__ Member since: Mar 30, 2014
  7. IanG

965 203
    Yeah hence noting the stock answer.

If I can give you some consolation, I've had a case decided in my favour this week after a buyer failed to accept collection, failed to retrieve from a depot and ultimately failed to reply in time before the item was destroyed.

Loads of tracking and messages though. Which would be my advice. Most communication I've had with Ebay comes down to what they can see. To the point that their advice borders on communicating with buyers in such a way that you construct a case against them. Like having them admit they're in the wrong.

I'd never go that far, but I am mindful of it when I'm talking to customers now. Preferable to sort it prior to it going to a case but when it does, you may as well win it.

Posted: Mar 18, 2015 By: IanG Member since: May 8, 2011
  8. silvermusic

2,162 586
    While eBay can and still is a fantastic platform to sell on, you need to be cautious because it can change and go pop for your product or product group very quickly, one change or alteration can change the landscape. Case in point CDs that I started with many years ago, The market is flooded on there compared to what it was, there are literally millions of CDs on eBay and only the very biggest are making anything like a decent living at it now. By default it's showing 4.6 million listings, when I started 100,000 or much less was normal.

Spend time and effort outside of eBay and let eBay churn away on it's own, if you have the right product at the right price it will sell. But be very aware it can all change quickly and disastrously at some future point, don't be too reliant on it.

Posted: Mar 18, 2015 By: silvermusic Member since: Nov 22, 2008
  9. antp__

175 25
    eBay is fantastic if you want to shift stock quickly. As you say it will run itself and with so many people visiting the site daily you are bound to make sales day in day out. Yes, it may be worth getting a website and sending out flyers with promo codes but from other experiences they still prefer eBay. Because the system they have in place if they are to have a problem.

Again, only today. No negative no neutral feedbacks. Today changed this, I have a neutral feedback. The buyer has states 'Received very smaller than expected'.

This doesn't even make sense which frustrates me. Not only this, the damn buyers don't read the description. I have photos showing the dimensions. I have the dimensions AND weights in the description. How can this be allowed?

I have been in touch with eBay again who have sent it onto the 'Feedback Team' who will investigate and get back to me. I'm not going to get my hopes up and put it down to eBay experience until proven otherwise.

Posted: Mar 18, 2015 By: antp__ Member since: Mar 30, 2014
  10. IanG

965 203
    I've had that with the buyer's word over mine. When the buyer isn't a professional, doesn't know what they're talking about nor should have to know. That's why they're dealing with professionals.

Watching your feedback there with interest. Neutral for expectation when the details are written in the listing.

I'm going to Ebay will say its true so it stays.

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 By: IanG Member since: May 8, 2011
  11. Joseph Hackling

Joseph Hackling UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 1
    I have also had the same problem, luckily mine was tracked and ebay sort of removed the neutral feedback and what I mean by that is they replaced the comment with 'comment removed by ebay' this still kept the neutral feedback sign I received.

However the majority of the time I send with out a tracking code and it seems as if they expect you to check every address, which may be difficult to do when you have so many items going out a day.

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 By: Joseph Hackling Member since: Mar 19, 2015
  12. antp__

175 25
    After a few emails back and forth from the eBay Feedback Team I have finally managed to get the neutral feedback removed. Because my listing not only has the sizes and weight in the description, but also an image showing dimensions they had no reason not to know the size.

I find many buyers get this built up anger from those sellers who do not response and do not want to help. I notice so many Chinese sellers selling UK held stock now they don't care whether or not they have 100% feedback. If it gets that bad i'm sure they would just open up another account.

It's so much easier to sort things out via phoning them but this then leaves no correspondence through their messaging system.

Posted: Mar 19, 2015 By: antp__ Member since: Mar 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.