E Commerce advice

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by SMS. Sarah, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMS. Sarah

SMS. Sarah UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 1
    I am at a crossroads, I have had a e-commerce website for two years have had about 15 orders at the most from it! My website designer is a lovely guy but is not filling me with confidence, Why am I not getting the orders my prices are right, what do I do????????

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 By: SMS. Sarah Member since: Mar 14, 2016
  2. NewGardenStyle

NewGardenStyle UKBF Regular Free Member

373 82
    Impossible to say with the minimal details that you've given us. Are you getting any visitors to the site? Might be worth joining as a full member if you want a website review.

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 By: NewGardenStyle Member since: Jun 26, 2014
  3. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,161 320
    Firstly are you actually receiving traffic to your website? If you are, then you need to look at why this traffic isn't converting to paying customers. If you aren't, then you need to work on getting traffic to your website. Are you on social media? Have you tried advertising? Are you ranking well for appropriate terms on search engines?

With all due respect, it doesn't matter how long you've had your website if you aren't making the right moves to increase traffic and convert sales. I also don't think this is your web designer's job - he should be able to help you increase conversions by improving your website but if the traffic isn't there, how can you create conversions?

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  4. ryedale

ryedale Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

1,548 369
    As said above, it depends on so many factors - what are you selling, what price you are selling it at, who you are competing against. As said above, we need to know what your visitor stats are like really.

Of course if the site is badly designed and provides a poor user experience , then that's not going to help either.

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  5. SMS. Sarah

22 1
    Hi thanks for replies, I am getting traffic, social media etc, if you search some of our products I am on page 15 or further back, we sell military and tactical clothing we have quite a bit of competition just stuck what to do!

6. Shopclicks

Shopclicks UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

519 138
    I'd highly recommend that you become a full member and get a site review. Your website was not designed with Google traffic in mind. There are some very simple changes you could make that would improve the site's visibility and conversion rate.

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 By: Shopclicks Member since: Mar 14, 2015
  7. Dan_HiHosting

Dan_HiHosting UKBF Ace Full Member

1,106 270
    Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forums.

Have you got a Google Analytics account?

I'd use that and also Webmaster Tools.

That'll help give you an idea of traffic, and even let you monitor conversions and so forth.

To drive traffic, advertising - such as Google Adwords, social media and so forth can work.

Perhaps get involved in relevant communities and forums, and provide them with a discount and advice.

All of that will help drive and monitor traffic.
    Once someone visits your site - as mentioned the user experience is important.
    That's where your design and hosting make a difference.
    If it looks unprofessional or is poorly designed, visitors can lose confidence.
    You want as little friction to converting/making a sale as possible. So make it easy for your visitors to find what they want and buy it.
    An SSL certificate (for https), money back guarantee or decent returns policy, good reviews and so forth can all help with visitor confidence. People want to trust they'll be served well.

And hosting matters because if your site loads slowly, making navigating a pain, or has poor uptime, that will really affect sales too.

And yes, becoming a full member's a great idea. UKBF is a great community and you can get your site reviewed and more in depth help.

Any questions on the hosting side of things then feel free to get in touch.

Best of luck,

Dan

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 By: Dan_HiHosting Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  8. SMS. Sarah

22 1
    sorry to sound dumb but how do you know my website is not designed with google traffic in mind? and how will it help being a member? many thanks

9. Dan_HiHosting

1,106 270
    They probably mean it hasn't been built with SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) in mind.

Indicators of that not being the case would be missing text descriptions, improper use of headings and so forth.

Basically, you want your site to be structured so it's easy for Google and other search engines to read. So the information needs to be well organised on a technical level.

And reading that information should correspond with what you're trying to sell, and the keywords your visitors and targeted customers would be using to search for your products.

If you join UKBF as full member, you can post your website address in the Review My Website forum:
    http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/review-my-website.74/

And other members can critique it and give you advice on how you can improve it, including having it better found through a Google search for example.

It looks like your site is built with OpenCart (if I've found your site), which is a popular open source eCommerce platform, and so perfectly fine.

But perhaps your SEO could be improved - I've not looked into it.

Your web hosting certainly can, as it looks like you're hosting with Fasthosts, who are anything but.

10. SMS. Sarah

22 1
    thank you everyone I have just joined so I will post website and await your reviews! thanks for info on fasthosts as the speed has been one of my biggest worries

11. Dan_HiHosting

1,106 270
    Great, welcome on board :)

Yeah, at least for me it's really slow navigating and trying to checkout, so that can really put visitors off and prevent sales.

Another member we recently helped had some real issues with Fasthosts, so it's not a surprise: http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/threads/are-fasthosts-slowing-down-my-site-loading-time.351336/

Thankfully, as you're running a popular system and not something bespoke, it's very easy to switch.

Good luck with the site review.

All the best,

Dan

12. SMS. Sarah

22 1
    great thank you

13. LiveChatLinda

LiveChatLinda UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 1
    Hi,
    Have you thought about right marketing? It's not always matter of web design and technical solution. If you had a lot of traffic and lack of orders - it's a goodway to go. But if you had just a few visitors and similar sale you should definitely think about ads and marketing plan for promoting your website.
    Cheers,
    Linda

Posted: Mar 22, 2016 By: LiveChatLinda Member since: Mar 1, 2016
  14. ryedale

1,548 369
    Fasthosts do seem to have gone downhill lately. As with Dan, there's been a few on thse forums who we've helped with new hosting recently and the difference in speed has come as quite a big shock for them!

It's such a crucial factor with E-Commerce sites, every second can make all the difference.

There is a lot that be done to optimise Opencart as well which can make a big difference. Looking forward to having a look at the site in the review section.

15. SMS. Sarah

22 1
    it won't let me ask for a review till I have 30 posts is that right?

16. ryedale

1,548 369
  17. SMS. Sarah

22 1
    I have!

18. ryedale

1,548 369
    You should be able to ask for a review then although you can't post links - will it not let you post at all ?

19. SMS. Sarah

22 1
    it lets me post but not post the link how do I do it without the link sorry to be a pain!

20. ryedale

1,548 369
    If you just say the company name, we should be able to find it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.