Duty incorrectly charged on EU goods into UK

Discussion in 'International Business' started by rlellie14, Feb 18, 2021.

1. rlellie14

rlellie14 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 0
    Hi, we use freight forwarders to get our imports through customs and have authorised them to use our deferment account. On some EU imports we are being charged duty even though they are marked as 'of EU preferential origin'.
    I know VAT charges on EU imports now apply but as I understand it there should be no duty charges (they are all innocent goods, mainly stationery). 2 questions:
    - Does anyone have any examples of the rules of origin wording our suppliers should be using to get it through without attracting duty charges?
    - Is there anyway I can reclaim this duty that we've been charged?
    Thanks

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: rlellie14 Member since: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    Hi, the duty rate payable would depend and whether "EU Preferential Origin" applies, would depend on a few factories, including the HS code, where the goods were physically manufactured (I am GUESSING EU, if you are requesting use of that statement, but don't want to assume!), and the volume of cargo being moved (This will change again in June I believe).
    I would suggest that, if you are being charged duty by the forwarder, either the products being moved aren't of EU origin, or that the HS code covering that cargo isn't duty free.
    IF the goods have been put through incorrectly, then yes, you can request your forwarder complete a duty reclaim and submit this to HMRC the incorrectly paid duty.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  3. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Contributor Free Member

56 11
    Mike - not heard this mentioned before, do you mean quotas - could you explain further? Just trying to understand the pitfalls...

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021
  4. Mike Foulds

Mike Foulds UKBF Regular Free Member

121 42
    Sorry, I should have been clearer, just mentioning about the values of shipment, if they are really small shipments, believe invoices up to £135 would not be charged Duty. This mostly applies for small items sent via courier.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 By: Mike Foulds Member since: Mar 21, 2018
  5. DefinitelyMaybeUK

DefinitelyMaybeUK UKBF Contributor Free Member

56 11
    Thanks Mike for the clarification.

You would be best to follow the recommendation from your particular carrier, but unlikely to deviated much from the DHL preferential origin statement given here:

https://mydhl.express.dhl/gb/en/shipment-settings/origin_statement.html

That said, it wouldn't be the first time we've had a preference statement ignored under the old EU - Canada FTA and ended up with a credit note for duty from DHL...

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 By: DefinitelyMaybeUK Member since: Jan 12, 2021