Dubai Internet Scams - Banks Closed all my Accounts.

Discussion in 'Websites & Ecommerce' started by thespraytanshop, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mustaka

Mustaka UKBF Newcomer Free Member

332 161
    Sorry to hear the outcome OP. Hope your new venture has more luck.

Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: Mustaka Member since: Feb 3, 2009
  2. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,099 1,702
    Actually come to think of it, I had a similar enquiry for a large wholesale order to Dubai. I was suspicious when the website they referred me to as being theirs didn't seem to match the product they wanted to buy. I then asked them to send me a photo of their shop and I never heard from them again.

I wonder whether it was the same sort of scam?

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  3. petlover

petlover UKBF Newcomer Free Member

61 2
    hi all:
    plz take care of the business from Nigeria, so shocking ,a lot of my friends have lost their money...
    Take care when opening url:D

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 By: petlover Member since: Jul 24, 2011
  4. alanc

alanc UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

848 179
    Ditto here. It was the large quantities of fairly obscure products that warned me. They, too, were using the business name of an innocent US company, but the sender's gmail address was similar to the company name but spelt slightly differently. All points to a scam and I just ignored it.

Posted: Sep 27, 2011 By: alanc Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  5. Sade

Sade UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    petlover - What does Nigeria have to do with this fraud? I am quite sure I saw this fraud originated from Dubai? Perhaps when people realise that fraudsters are everywhere, they'll pay particular attention to suspicious orders regardless of whether the enquiry came from Nigeria or England!

OP, sad to read about your issues with the bank. You are very brave for giving it another go. All the best!!

Posted: Sep 28, 2011 By: Sade Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  6. Bob1

Bob1 UKBF Contributor Free Member

48 6
    That is a really awful thing to happen to you Kate. Can't believe what has happened to you since the incident.
    Hope things work out for you and at the end of the day you will have learnt from this and make sure it won't happen again.

Posted: Sep 30, 2011 By: Bob1 Member since: Mar 23, 2010
  7. nickthepen

nickthepen UKBF Newcomer Free Member

29 1
    I have just had a similar experience. Customer in Dubai contacted me and wanted items to the value of £2500 so I invoiced them and gave them my bank details. They phoned me up in a panic 2 days later saying they had over paid me. When I checked they had made a CHAPS payment of 25000 euros which was £19797 into my account. They gave me their bank details and I returned the over payment of £17232 to them via CHAPS.

This was all done in the beginning of July.

They wanted to arrange delivery themselves.

I had to order the goods in and I have since tried to contact them via email with no response. I tried the phone number today but it doesn't work. Looked up there address on Google Earth and it appears to be a motorway. Googled their company name and I have found that they have asked 2 other companies for goods, with almost identical emails to the one I had. The company doesn't exist.

Before I returned the £17232 to them I spoke to the bank and they assured me that this was solid in my account and they could not get at it.

So far I have £2500 and some stock which they have paid for. I contacted the bank today and said it maybe fraud of some kind. They have put extra security on my account and now I have just opened up a new account to replace this one.

I am concerned that the bank authorities may see this as laundered money and take the £19232 from me. I have been assured on a recorded telephone conversation that this cannot happen as I have reported it.

How am I going to get ripped off or has this one backfired on the scammers some how?

Posted: Sep 12, 2012 By: nickthepen Member since: Sep 12, 2012
  8. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

15,445 3,069
    Posted: Sep 12, 2012 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  9. Roryg

Roryg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Can you name and shame?

I am caught in an almost identicial situation at the minute. I have had a letter today from my bank's fraud department advising me my account has been frozen, and under investigation for money laundering, pending identification and validation of the transaction. I have to visit the local branch to produce emails and any other documents etc..
    Luckily I was also in the process of changing banks just before this happened and my new account is up and running with another bank and so far seems to be unaffected.

I did have my suspicions but initial checks gave the impression that this was a legimiate business deal. The product they were looking for was excatly what I was pushing at the time and fitted into their business profile also.

So if anyone has any contact from a Mr. Ayub Azar from the Burdubai region of Dubai, tell him to go take a long walk on a short pier.

Posted: Oct 16, 2013 By: Roryg Member since: Oct 16, 2013
  10. MonkeyEclipse

MonkeyEclipse UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    It doesn't matter which country the fraud claims to be from. Or the names they use. These fraudsters are sitting anywhere around the world. One of them is likely staying at a Dubai hotel and will then move to another country.

I've seen footage of them being rounded up in Malaysia where they were living in a 5 star hotel with a life of champagne and designer clothes. Though these particular fraudsters were running the online dating scam.

Posted: Oct 16, 2013 By: MonkeyEclipse Member since: Oct 16, 2013
  11. nickthepen

29 1
    Sorry to hear you are in this also.

When I made my original post the bank hadn't discovered what had happened and I still had my money. Then they suddenly took the payment of £19797 with out telling me out of my account leaving me over drawn and with supplier to pay. I was lucky as I managed to borrow the money off relatives until this was all sorted.

The fraudsters had paid a paper Euro cheque to a different branch then this was transferred to my account which looked like a BACS.

The bank was at fault because

1. The money had shown on my account as a BACS and not as a paper cheque.

2. I phoned the bank and asked if this transaction was ok and was advised that it was and was cleared funds.

3. The money entered my account and showed as cleared funds immediately which led me to believe it was a BACS. A Euro cheque can take 6 weeks to clear.

4. The bank let me draw on money transfer which shouldn't have happened as the money hadn't cleared.

I did eventually get my full money back but this took 5 months. They did phone me and offer "as a good will gesture" half the money and I refused saying I still have people I owe money to and to try again. They phoned later the same day and offered "as a good will gesture" the full money. As we all know this sort of money doesn't get offered around that easily to be a "as a good will gesture" so the bank knew they were in the wrong.

You will need to contact the financial ombudsman and maybe the police (although they can't do much)

Check out the office of fair trading and the financial services authority.

I can PM you a copy of the final letter I sent to my bank if you wish as this may help you out.

Unfortunately I don't think this is going to be an easy process.

Good Luck

Posted: Oct 16, 2013 By: nickthepen Member since: Sep 12, 2012
  12. nickthepen

29 1
    Also

This was part of an organised gang with members in Dubai and the UK

Posted: Oct 16, 2013 By: nickthepen Member since: Sep 12, 2012
  13. Roryg

3 0
    Thanx for the info and letter, it may come in useful.

Luckily I had begun to switch banks just as this came about which hopefully allow me to keep an active bank account running, although due to this I had the cheque sent to my personal bank account to avoid any delays, which may not look to good, but speaking to the people in my branch they understand and accept this.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

Posted: Oct 17, 2013 By: Roryg Member since: Oct 16, 2013
  14. nickthepen

29 1
    I was never thought of by the bank as money laundering and never had my account frozen just went 10k over drawn!!

make sure you contact financial ombudsman, maybe the police and check out fsa regulations and office of fair trading.

Did you ever discuss this transaction with your bank over the phone before you refunded?

Hope you get through this ok

Posted: Oct 17, 2013 By: nickthepen Member since: Sep 12, 2012
  15. Roryg

3 0
    Yes I have been in contact with the bank on the phone and in person. I haven't refunded any money yet as the fraud investigation departement of my bank have halted the cheque clearing regardless of the issuing banks clearence until they are satisfyed that they can confirm my identity. I'm hoping this will help clear this up quickly as I have done my personal banking with this branch for over 10 years and they know me well. I will be speaking to them later today and will express my concerns now I have been much better informned, with your help.

I just can't believe I have been so naive, I'm trying to get my business off the ground which has been a challange and this seemed like the breakthrough I have been looking for (a sizeable transaction with the possibility of repeat business). Now I have no doubt this is an attempt at fraud or money laundering. The 'client' is no longer responding to any attempts I try to make contact.

Posted: Oct 17, 2013 By: Roryg Member since: Oct 16, 2013
  16. nickthepen

29 1
    It's good you didn't refund this person so your not out of pocket. I'm sure this will resolve it's self. It's a shame that the bank presume you are part of the scam

Posted: Oct 17, 2013 By: nickthepen Member since: Sep 12, 2012
  17. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

12,148 2,536
    We got a simular email request from Dubai that looked false, so we replied and asked them to provide their full address and we would get our local agent to call around

Never heard anything back from them

ps we dont have any agents

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    Posted: Oct 18, 2013 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.