Dropbox and the never ending 'Performing one time update

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by wood1e2, Nov 17, 2019.

1. wood1e2

wood1e2 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,098 165
    hi,

Has anyone noticed that their Dropbox may not be syncing and it is 'performing a never ending 'Performing a one time update... '

I have reinstalled a previous version of Dropbox, but three days in and it is still updating!

Posted: Nov 17, 2019 By: wood1e2 Member since: May 2, 2007
  2. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

629 103
    It seems you don't actually want help and we all have to get our crystal balls us and start a guessing game for you.

Why is it so hard to actual provide information for any technical information + help and leave it to the crystal balls to make a call.

The post should be like:

I run Dropbox version xxxx. on operating system type xxxx , build xxxx, and files do not sync or are stuck on a loop. I created a tst file and it syncs YES|NO.

I removed the dropbox version xxxxx used following methox xxxxx to uninstall and installed version xxxxx .

I did not go to the dropbox website and followed their basic troubleshooting guide and mentioned this here either.

There is a bare min. to post if you actually want help.

If you run OS Windows , deleted the cache files in app folder and reinstall dropbox.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  3. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,862 2,204
    Did you really need that first paragraph, you are obviously a tech wizard, I doubt they are

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  4. Nico Albrecht

629 103
    Yes, because the bare minimum for posting a thread and respect for others here should be done. There are to many post with no information at all and the guessing games starts. This is a business forum and not mumsnet.

You don't call a car mechanic and tell him you got a green car. Can you fix it? Why would it be acceptable on here.

5. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,420 1,767
    Likewise you wouldn't call a mechanic and tell him everything before getting the formalities out the way 1st

I would say Hi, I've got a Mazda 2 and I think the breaks are rubbing

I wouldn't say Hi, I've got a 2017, mark 3, Mazda 2 Sport NAV, the 90BHP version in Snowflake white and I think the left nearside brake disk might be slightly warped as the brakes are rubbing and it's pulling me slightly to the left when I use my foot brake.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  6. Nico Albrecht

629 103
    That's correct. But I can start my question with " I have a laptop running Windows 10 and have dropbox version xxxx installed. 2 days ago I am in a sync loop " I contacted dropbox and also followed the faq's they have and the problem is still there. Reversing to an older version xxxx did not solve my problem. THe service status https://status.dropbox.com/ seems ok ..... anybody else got the same problem or can help.

I don't think this is too much to ask for. Not expecting here full tech details but the bare minimum like OS, version number and what was don so far.

7. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,862 2,204
    You seem to be a expert in your field and used to working with others of similar nature, Unfortunately not everyone fully thinks of what data they should mention and just makes a broad request, most of us have done the same at one time or another.

You could just have given the solution or requested more information, yet you chose not to and show up a persons lack of thought instead

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  8. Nico Albrecht

629 103
    Any information will do but if none provided the crystal ball needs to come out and the guessing game starts.

You could just have given the solution or requested more information, yet you chose not to and show up a persons lack of thought instead[/QUOTE]

paragraph 3 gives him his solutions. Not sure what else to ask for. Shall I drive over there and do it for him.

This is not about being tech savvy, don't even use dropbox but if I want some help on here I sit down at least 2min and think to myself let's give as much info as possible.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  9. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,910 2,632
    Yes, agree, and it's not only IT queries that this apply to.

A lot of responses have to be questions as the OP had failed to give basic information, sole trader vs Ltd Co being a classic.

So yes, the better the quality of the information, the better the help you are going to get.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  10. wood1e2

2,098 165
    I am sorry I didn't fill your strict 'support criteria' - Next time I need some help I please don't bother answering :) .

I hope your day is as good as you are!

Posted: Nov 20, 2019 By: wood1e2 Member since: May 2, 2007
  11. wood1e2

2,098 165
    And just in case anyone is interested whatever the issue was, it seems to have passed, Dropbox is now syncronising, but that was after four days on 'Performing one-time update'

a) Followed the instructions on the Dropbox
    b) Then downgraded to latest stable version as somehow a BETA version was installed.
    c) Then I just removed again, reinstalled a second time.

And as none of the above worked, I left it! although I suppose the second reinstall did work, just with a 4-day update.

And seriously, Nico Albrecht - get out of the people game, you really aren't any good at it.

When dealing with people you have to ask questions, even the most intelligent of humans might not 'see' what you can 'see or know'

The art of support is asking questions...

I bet you are one of these people that asks for a professionals help and end up telling them they are wrong!!

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 By: wood1e2 Member since: May 2, 2007