Dragons Den lastnight.....

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by eddieriby, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend Full Member

5,994 1,017
    Exactly my thinking, plus if it was windy the clothes would fly out and would be exposed to the elements anyway. And I didnt even consider your second point about restricting air for drying, good point! Still we have to put into perspective, some serious wealth there so its like one of us putting a tenner on a horse!

Gary

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  2. tricknick

tricknick UKBF Newcomer Free Member

50 0
    Remarkable woman, terrible web design. It's like a sketch book of madness with some keywords relating to buying cars. (somewhere in there)

I think this lady stands out for her tenacious approach and for her differential selling style - very eastern "buy from me, I sell cheap, you buy, have a good deal".

Definately a clever marketing ploy getting onto Dragon's Den - but I can assure you that she wasn't the first and certainly won't be the last to pull this particular trick!

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: tricknick Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  3. vitesse

vitesse UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    I thought as much as anything they were investing in the bloke not the product, which I thought was pretty silly. They, or some of them, were clearly impressed that a 21yr old had done so much.

The infighting was pretty entertaining though.

Mark

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: vitesse Member since: Feb 19, 2007
  4. Tazuk

Tazuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

508 1
    I see potential for the washing line cover. I believe that if you fit a motor to it you could have a rainproof turbo dryer or an excellent helicopter training simulator.

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: Tazuk Member since: Dec 23, 2005
  5. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
    Matt,

Thanks, just been to Birmingham yesterday for the Automotive Management awards. Won "highly commended" in Best Website (2nd place). Tut. However, that's in the whole of the motor industry. Must try harder.

Anyway, this is the kind of comment I am now getting on the "Automotive Management" forum www.am-online.com (in a thread I started about drug use in car dealerships):

"Ling ling ling. If it wasnt for idiots like you ruining the retail car industry maybe the staff at dealerships might not have the time to take drugs or need to cos their livleyhoods are dwindling fast. You think you are doing the public favours raping the margins out of dealers but the poor public have to foot the bill in terms of depreciation at some point anyway.
    Moral of the story. Parasitical brokers should have NO right to pass judgement to the dealer network even if they are injecting crack into their eyeballs all day long."

These are the managers in my industry. Amazing, eh? Must be rattling cages :)

- Ling

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: LINGsCARS Member since: Feb 16, 2007
  6. theguvnor

theguvnor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

493 59
    Ling,

nice result, gives you something to aim for next year! I was chatting to my mate who is setting up a 2nd hand car business on the side of his repair business, he said that the big car supermarkets make all thier money on the finance referals not on the cars. Dealers make it up on the rip off servicing and warranties that are basicly bog roll. I hope you continue to give those fat cats a good kicking, they've had it all their own way too long.

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: theguvnor Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  7. pauldm

pauldm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

44 1
    That's terrible!!

Surely the moderators / am-online have to remove that kind of statement.

Some industries just don't like change (aka competition)

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: pauldm Member since: Jan 16, 2006
  8. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend Full Member

5,994 1,017
    Good for you! Sock it to em Ling, competition is great for the consumer bottom line is the dealers margins (esp. on parts and labour) are a joke and its about time they had a reality check.

Gary

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  9. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
    Hahaha, the forum is not like this, it's a poxy in-house javascript which hardly if at all gets moderated. Typical of the industry. They scream whenever I suggest anything, but spend their lives with aggressive racist/sexist rubbish. I quite like the fact the moderator doesn't care to moderate, as it shows them up. Reading the threads is very enlightening.

- Ling

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: LINGsCARS Member since: Feb 16, 2007
  10. eddieriby

eddieriby UKBF Newcomer Free Member

185 0
    Congrats on the award Ling.....really good when you think of the big boys who were also in with a shot!

Posted: Feb 23, 2007 By: eddieriby Member since: Jun 30, 2006
  11. Mr. Mu

Mr. Mu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

288 11
    No, it's the entrepreneur in her!

Posted: Feb 23, 2007 By: Mr. Mu Member since: Dec 7, 2006
  12. robbie williams

robbie williams UKBF Newcomer Free Member

113 0
    hi Ling - I cannot believe the way that people are posting on that other forum!!! shocking - but you handle it well! It seems they do not like the way you are loosing them money by being honest and passing on the savings to the customer.
    The one I read about the chap who has run 'several' different businesses and sold his last one for a lot of money and is so much better than you makes very good reading...

Posted: Feb 23, 2007 By: robbie williams Member since: Nov 21, 2005
  13. JustOneUK

JustOneUK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,568 268
    back to Dragons Den,....

Despite having (I would imagine) a nice healthy bank account and a positive 6 figure revenue stream, how nervous were you about going on the program?

Were you relaxed as you knew you didn't need the money? or were you disappointed that you didn't get it because they wanted too much?

thanks
    James.

Posted: Feb 24, 2007 By: JustOneUK Member since: Nov 19, 2005
  14. Fit To Defend

Fit To Defend UKBF Newcomer Free Member

267 0
    Got to say shes a brilliant business woman however I dont think she would of accepted any offer..Good marketing exercise and good exposure..I might even have a go myself!!;)

Posted: Feb 24, 2007 By: Fit To Defend Member since: Feb 24, 2007
  15. HC-Martin

HC-Martin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,718 67
    I don't quite see how that could be - She is different, has her own style and in unique which is making her sucessful, and good on you Ling. But this isn't an excellence in business, just a different way of doing something!

Posted: Feb 25, 2007 By: HC-Martin Member since: Nov 11, 2006
  16. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
    Robbie: That forum is quite disgraceful, but I do not complain because it serves me better to leave it up and let them make idiots of themselves. Remember AM-Online is "Automotive Management", it should be the senior people in the business... shows they really are vicious, threatened and horrible, eh? The whole industry hate me and try to take me down often.

Just One, bank account is healthy because (mainly) hardly any overheads, but I do spend heavily like my bus £7k, painting it £3k, missile truck £3.5k, noodles £1k this month following TV. Also my suppliers pay well, no bad debts, luckily. I wasn't really nervous on the TV, I don't get too nervous - plus the BBC are really very, very good. What I was worried about was the editing as the BBC can make anyone look anyway they choose. However, I guessed that to make them laugh was the key - I am so glad I decided on that approach - and also to be brutally honest with them. If they catch one hint of an untruth, then you are dead.

Fit to Defend: And MORE exposure... the BBC are here tomorrow (Monday) to do the follow-up end of series film (after 1 week after I was on DD - it's a joke huh? How has my business changed "since the programme"? Not much really, but I can't say THAT!). So I will wheel my London bus out now :) I have 3 things in mind (as TV is visual) - start in nuclear truck, to me packing noodles, to my bus driving over the Tyne bridge or whatever with me hanging off the back platform.

I say this for fun, so you can see how much control I actually have on the filming. Will it happen like that above, or will it be totally different in the end? I don't wanna bore people talking about cars on TV, everyone knows what cars are, Top Gear does that for me. I want my logo smacking people in the face, and to try to get a couple of jokes in, and promote my free noodles. You can't beat a dose of food-poisoning to help someone remember you, hehehe.

It's a crazy world when a nuclear rocket, a London bus and a thousand packs of FUKU brand noodles sells brand new cars. NOW you understand why the people in the industry find me hard to deal with, and they have just given me a bloody award!!! :) Got to laugh...

ps. I've just done an interview for BBC World Service - in Mandarin Chinese! :) As soon as I can grab a copy I'll post a link, so you can have a laugh. If you listen I really struggle, because I never discuss my business in Chinese I just cannot find the words and have to keep throwing English in to get me unstuck :). The word that sounds like "******" (hey, no offence, that's what it sounds like) is like saying "erm, that, that..., erm, that.. erm" in English. You hear "******, ******, ******" all the way through. Jon was rolling on the floor as I was talking, it was so bloody embarrassing.

Posted: Feb 25, 2007 By: LINGsCARS Member since: Feb 16, 2007
  17. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
    Design Wizard - I couldn't agree more!

18. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
  19. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,345 2,078
    "You can't beat a dose of food-poisoning to help someone remember you, hehehe."

I love you!!!!! (again!)

Posted: Feb 25, 2007 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  20. JamieM

JamieM UKBF Ace Free Member

2,283 344
    Ling,

As I have said before I love your website and the way you conduct your business. You mention that the motor industry "hate" you and I am just wondering if this concerns you with regards to your existing business relationships? Don't you worry that healthy relationships may break down?

Posted: Feb 25, 2007 By: JamieM Member since: Mar 22, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.