Dragons Den lastnight.....

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by eddieriby, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
    I did a Google search and found this:

I will gladly pay 49.99 to your totally unique company (http://www.parcelsafeuk.com) to affix a disfiguring half meter metal box to the front of my house so that I can announce to all and sundry where my valuables can be found. Amongst it's features which attract me are the uselessness of it it's functionality when I am on holiday and requirement to explain to the deliverer how to use the clever locking device which I believe is a major selling point.

And this:

I want to know what's to stop random strangers coming into your garden, opening the empty box and putting a dead cat, fireworks or dog**** in?

In my view, this is brilliant. I would promote these uses of the product. Nothing like laughing at your own product for getting street-cred. I would print these on the box with funny answers like: Easily cover the box with chicken wire and plug into the mains. This prevents any abuse of the box on sink-estates and council blocks.

I mean, people will say this rubbish, just use to to your benefit...

Who could resist clicking on these in Google? I couldn't :)

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 By: LINGsCARS Member since: Feb 16, 2007
  2. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
    Matt, but it has caused me many sleepless nights.

I must say sometimes I have been in tears. I decided to advertise or "sponsor" the unofficial British Army site www.arrse.com

My God, I had 6 months of total abuse, absolute hell, it was vile, I was often really in tears. I am now amazed that I went through this experience and I am now their hero following the DD thing. How the worms turn. I have been invited to military open days with the truck!

I would go to the forum as an advertiser and get an instant "f... off" as the most polite response. Usually involved some wierd sex thing. But I stayed and now am getting orders from soldiers. My sig there was: I am Ling. I refuse to rent brand new UK cars to stupid soldiers, and I told them, I sponsor brave British Army. But you have to get something going, eh?

3. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
    Finally tonight, in case you are not 100% bored with me yet, this is one of the opening lines on my finance proposal form page. That is a key page where I need to cover some boring stuff. This form starts the process, quite important I think you agree. I say:

After you pass finance check, I send you car ORDER form. Car order form (I explain for stupid customers) is form you sign to order car.

I'm really not sure if this is brave, foolish or clever. I'll never know how many people it discourages, but to me it gives people a kick to say "idiots struggle with this simple process". What do you think? :)

4. Hayles

Hayles UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,672 11
    And you won't read that in any marketing book :)

I couldn't have done it, good for you.

H

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 By: Hayles Member since: Nov 5, 2005
  5. Miranda

Miranda UKBF Newcomer Free Member

165 13
    It's true, the best publicity is free : one of my best sellers is fleece nappy liners (they keep baby feeling dry like the throwaway nappies advertise they should feel dry on TV - yet its only so the baby doesn't feel wet so doesn't complain and stays in nappies for longer, clever marketing eh?)

I actually say in the description ' You can make your own fleece liners from 100% polyester fleece available from all good fabric shops'

We also give one away free with each nappy trial kit. It's widely publicised for us from time to time on forums that you can ask us for one to use as a template (which we happily send) so you can cut your own.
    Yet they are a top seller. I am not complaining.

I think your boxes would look great with a big set of stick on dog or shark teeth around the opening like jaws.....whole new range of customisable stickers....or maybe a photo competition amongst box owners for best customising effect of the month....

For a spot of PR I'd do a survey amongst posties (or see if you can find the info anywhere) about the difficulties of delivering eg posties find x out of 10 householders are out when they have a parcel to deliver that is too big for the letterbox, and jump on the bandwagon of the current publicity re closing local post offices since one option homeowners can do if a card has been left is arrange to collect it from the local PO. Then write a press release and send it out to any publication you might find relevant, but tailored to the recipient eg focus on your being a local company to your local papers, focus on busy executives being at work for deliveries and not wanting to or got the time to queue at the sorting office on a Saturday for business-y papers and magazines, focus on mums ordering online/using ebay but are often out at toddler groups duing the day and don't want to trek to the sorting office to get their mail for the baby/parenting magazines.

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 By: Miranda Member since: Jan 6, 2007
  6. Miranda

Miranda UKBF Newcomer Free Member

165 13
    I think you're right, it's going to make us feel superior and intelligent, we're all going to think 'hahaha well that's not refering to me, I know what a car order form is, I'm not an idiot'

I think you have the advantage with your line of Chinglish, it's easy to come across as 'being Chinese my command of the strange and wonderful English language may not be as great as yours so excuse me if I get it a bit wrong' whereas if I were to write in that way it won't work.

Posted: Feb 19, 2007 By: Miranda Member since: Jan 6, 2007
  7. eddieriby

eddieriby UKBF Newcomer Free Member

185 0
    LOL.....I can remember this thread now...It angered me at first but then I just sat back and laughed it off....I personally think its a jealousy thing, just becuase they don't have the balls to take a risk and progress a business idea. Anyway I've proved them wrong!! If they actually took time to read about the product then they would look rather silly after the comments they made.

Its all good fun, at least in keeps a smile on my face!

Posted: Feb 20, 2007 By: eddieriby Member since: Jun 30, 2006
  8. Anara

Anara UKBF Newcomer Free Member

264 9
    This is definitely the best thread on here for ages. Ling - you're an inspiration. We thought you were fantastic on DD and their faces at the end were hilarious.

Posted: Feb 20, 2007 By: Anara Member since: Mar 5, 2006
  9. clickprofits

clickprofits UKBF Newcomer Free Member

164 2
    Ling maybe you should come up to the Edinburgh festival in August, could be very entertaining and probably funnier than some of the so-called comedians I saw last year. :) Could call it 'LingsCars.com: Dragons for Breakfast' or 'LingsCars.com: Inside the Dragons Den' or something (sure you can do better...) You could bring the missile truck or bus, actually you could use the bus as your 'venue' (save money). ;) Would not be the first business type of show on the Edinburgh Fringe Festival (Yo-Sushi guy, (Simon Woodruff?) did one called 'How I got my Yo!' but it was a bit boring, sure yours would be better! Mamma Cherry from Mamma Cherris Soul Shack (Gordon Ramseys Kitchen Nightmares) also did a show/ talk last year which was quite good and included a free lunch! ;)

By the way, saw your comment post (#4) in this blog giving the behind the scenes info on Dragons Den and the Dragons - very interesting!
    http://www.steveparks.co.uk/blog/steve_parks/entrepreneurs_who_dont_want_dragons_dosh

Posted: Feb 21, 2007 By: clickprofits Member since: Feb 24, 2005
  10. LINGsCARS

LINGsCARS Banned

1,774 413
    Just read this, I am up early to clear the backlog.

To bloody Birmingham this afternoon for AM (Automotive Management) Awards. Most of them hate me in the industry. I have crawled out of the traditional car leasing cage and I am attacking "their" customers - normal UK people who want a new car.

They are collectively going mental attacking me, indeed one dealer (head of Mazda dealer council) with Mazda franchise has already contacted Mazda UK and the MD has "blacklisted" me from sourcing Mazdas from ANY UK Mazda dealer. Quite illegal these blacklists. So now I have to source Mazdas through a back-door. This kicked off when I offered this dealer (local to me) 3 x Mazda RX8 sales supply.

Also the head of Network, a big leasing company half owned by VW, has blacklisted me from accessing any "Automotive Management" rates (a subsidiary company) on the spurious basis that I refuse to rent office premises and increase overheads. I work from a professionally converted home-office to reduce costs. I never face to face customers.

These are examples of tactics used to try to stifle my sales to regular customers by the industry. I would have loved to have seen their faces when I got on DD.

So I will get a lot of stick this evening. Jon will be with me, though. If I win/don't win (best Website - up against Perrys and Vardy - bloody Giants), I will simply leave the event before they all get drunk and drive back to Gateshead.

- Ling

Posted: Feb 21, 2007 By: LINGsCARS Member since: Feb 16, 2007
  11. theguvnor

theguvnor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

493 59
    A mate of my partner sent me details of a car he could get from one of his sources, do us a deal and under book etc all that bull. Could probably get it for 9k. what he forgot to do was delete the link to the trade web site he gets his cars from.....it's there for 7.5k!! I don't mind someone making a bit on the deal whilst doing a mate a favour, but 1500 quid? I'm getting one of my mates who runs a garage to try and get it for 7.5k. What is an eye opener is the trade prices for cars, made my eyes water! You must be rattling them big style ling, give em hell!! Good luck.

Posted: Feb 21, 2007 By: theguvnor Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  12. ChrisMono

ChrisMono UKBF Newcomer Free Member

128 5
    LOL!!!! Just to let everyone know, i left a positive message on lingscars and i came back from london today, and i found a free colo polo and 1 yuan lol...

Posted: Feb 21, 2007 By: ChrisMono Member since: Feb 15, 2007
  13. clickprofits

clickprofits UKBF Newcomer Free Member

164 2
    Posted: Feb 21, 2007 By: clickprofits Member since: Feb 24, 2005
  14. Sarah-Ink Promotions

Sarah-Ink Promotions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

684 7
    I saw that in the catalogue - what a waste of money! bet it takes longer than just cutting them up as well :rolleyes: lol

Posted: Feb 21, 2007 By: Sarah-Ink Promotions Member since: Nov 13, 2005
  15. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,754 717
    DD is getting a bit gimmicky now. No one is every going to take a "Eureka" product on there because all the dragons do is rip into them and then offer them an insulting deal.

And I can't believe whatshisname invested in the worst business of all - a franchise! Doesn't he read this forum???

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  16. DotNetWebs

DotNetWebs UKBF Legend Full Member

5,014 1,001
    I couldn't believe they invested in that 'covered washing line' last night.

Somebody should have told them that rain doesn't always conveniently fall straight down. I bet as soon as it rains with a bit of wind the washing would end up wet anyway. :|

Also the cover would also keep the sun off and restrict the airflow around the washing thus significantly increasing the drying time. :|

I can't believe they thought it was a good idea. And I cant believe I am making a post about washing lines! :redface:

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: DotNetWebs Member since: Feb 16, 2005
  17. falconinternetlimited

falconinternetlimited UKBF Newcomer Free Member

473 3
    I was intrigued by the dynamics in the Den last night. Peter Jones CLEARLY woke up wanting to attack Richard Farley for the sake of it. I'd love to know the story behind that one!

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: falconinternetlimited Member since: Mar 29, 2006
  18. SuffolkDesigns

SuffolkDesigns UKBF Old Timer Full Member - Verified Business

2,763 360
    did anyone else notice the main flaw with the "step lock"

It wouldn't work on doors that open outwards.......

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: SuffolkDesigns Member since: Jul 5, 2005
  19. Carl-CSNM

Carl-CSNM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5,209 208
    Yep, it didn't look very strong to me either!

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: Carl-CSNM Member since: Apr 9, 2006
  20. Sarah-Ink Promotions

Sarah-Ink Promotions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

684 7
    It was quite funny when he explained what effective provention it was against burglars who have your key! :D

Posted: Feb 22, 2007 By: Sarah-Ink Promotions Member since: Nov 13, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.