Don't use Amazon fulfillment!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by The Byre, Aug 17, 2019.

1. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,978 3,506
    (At least not if you want to sell to me!)

For the second time in seven days, I have had an order summarily canceled by Amazon, only to receive a message from the vendor, telling me that they know nothing about either the order or the cancellation. Not only was the sale canceled, but absolutely no reason was given and the first I heard about the cancelation was seeing that the money was refunded to my company credit card.

On contacting the vendor, they sent me the usual message, giving me a number I can call. That number is no longer manned - it's online multichoice only! If that kind of process and treatment came from an eBay vendor, I would be tempted to give negative feedback.

Another good reason to avoid AFCs is that Amazon is bloody slow. Normally, vendors send stuff out as soon as they get the order - not so with Amazon. A week can go by before the overworked packers get around to actually getting stuff to a courier or the post.

For that reason and the extreme frustration at having a small but important set of items not delivered, I shall in the future check to make certain that the item is NOT coming from an AFC but from the vendor directly.

Better still, use eBay!

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,751 1,869
    Slow? Amazon?

If I order while having lunch on a Saturday, say 3pm - I can usually have the goods by noon Sunday.
    Know many other companies that will deliver that quick?
    Or how about a bank holiday Monday weekend - order Sunday evening, delivery Monday morning.

Both of those I have experienced more than once.

I'll take amazon over 99% of the UK sellers for speed and efficiency. Rare to have problems as a buyer, usually they do sort them out. And returns are dead easy.

As a seller I'll use FBA, as a buyer I use amazon.

Posted: Aug 17, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. The Byre

8,978 3,506
    Nobody in our area delivers on a Sunday and only the Royal Mail delivers on a Saturday. Amazon deliveries to our area are painfully slow and take two to three days longer than someone just popping something in the mail.

4. Mr D

16,751 1,869
    You don't have amazon logistics in your area? Darn, thought they had people in every area and just farmed off the excess to the other couriers - which is good business sense.
    Even UPS and DPD will usually deliver next working day. APC are pretty good at it too.

5. The Byre

8,978 3,506
    My Herpes used to be the worst courier service imaginable. We sent several heavy packages to some poor bloke in Ullapool and after two weeks, they still had not arrived. When I complained, they suddenly did arrive - but then I got my next complaint!

The poor chap was in the garden doing some weeding when four packages flew over the hedge, one of which hit him on the head! He told me that he gave chase to the driver, but he was in his van and away before he could do anything.

They have a new CEO and a whole new management structure and they have weeded out all the bad man-with-a-van goofballs and are now (for us at least) the best!

6. Mr D

16,751 1,869
    And the bad drivers sacked / resigned from one company with months of experience delivering parcels in an area get a job where?
    Working for another delivery company may be the top option...

Every delivery service I have come across has bad stories. Because people will post bad stories more than 'the driver dropped the stuff off at 1.30 as agreed' stories.

7. crackerjackcommerce

crackerjackcommerce UKBF Contributor Free Member

61 4
    We often have to sell on Amazon via FBA so that we can get some profitable buy box share unless it is one of our own branded products.

If you use Amazon services regularly i.e. shopping, video, kindle then I would recommened Prime and you will find that your purchases are delivered within 1/2 days (providing they are Prime delivery) and you order will not be cancelled. I do not think I have ever had a cancelled Prime order.

I do appreciate that smaller sellers maybe more conciseness when processing a customer order as opposed to Amazons automated process so I guess it depends on the product you are buying. I have Prime and for generic purchases I shop with Amazon.

Posted: Aug 19, 2019 By: crackerjackcommerce Member since: Aug 1, 2019
  8. Karl M

Karl M UKBF Contributor Free Member

31 0
    Maybe Amazon delivery works well only in the US. As I know they already stop to deliver products to China and now super busy to increase the number of buyers in the Middle East and in India. Europe might be not so interesting for Jeff...at least for now...

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Karl M Member since: Jul 5, 2019
  9. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 621
    I passed a Hermes drop off shop (newsagent) the other day...the Hermes driver had come to collect....he hauled out a massive sack from the shop (a bit like the biggest ikea sack you'll ever see)...opened the back doors to his (large) van...then literally hurled each parcel (as if throwing a ball to someone) to the rearmost part of his van...comical really.

I use Amazon Fulfilment...confuses the customer no end, I receive loads of "where's my item" emails....the thing is when you sign up to Fulfilled by Amazon as a seller, Amazon take resposibility for collecting payment, picking, packing & delivery...the seller has no real time visibility.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  10. Mr D

16,751 1,869

Amazon taking responsibility is what we signed up for.

More than once I've had them finding, packing and posting out several hundred parcels a week that we don't have to deal with. To send a shipment to them can be less than an hour's work. To pack and ship to customers individually all the contents of one shipment to amazon may be multiple days work.

Them doing the work of several staff members each day without the hassle of me employing them, for a total FBA price that was lower than I could pack and ship items even working for free. And doing it multiple times a week...

Made me a big fan of fulfilment services, amazon and others.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  11. The Byre

8,978 3,506
    1. The customer has absolutely no idea how the item will arrive. Does he look in the mailbox, wait for the doorbell, look in the wheelie-bin or what?

2. If the item gets lost or damaged, he just never finds out. About ten days after the order, the money is returned. What! Don't you like me anymore? Don't you want my custom?

3. When contacted, the call-center is told to lie. They never fess-up and admit that they've F-ed up and the item is out of stock. No, no! As if by magic, it is always damaged and the parcel could not be delivered - yer, right!

4. They compound that with further lies "Parcelforce informed us that they had lost it." What??? In just a couple of days? That's hardly the Parcelforce that I know!

I'm sure that there are good fulfillment centers out there, but Amazon isn't one of them!

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  12. Mr D

16,751 1,869

1. When does the customer ordering online know how anything will arrive from any company?

2. That sounds like a good courier response - sending item back to sender rather than delivering damaged / broken / leaking item. What would you have the courier do?

3. Call centre may not know. Quite possible that parcel gets damaged in transit - you ever seen packing of pallets and collision with other pallets / buildings / trucks?

4. Hopefully its the Parcelforce I know. Item sent tracked, item scanned at local depot, item not scanned anywhere else for a couple of days then yes pretty good idea that the item is lost. How would you describe the item to a customer who can see the tracking?

In 20 odd years as a buyer and with as a business probably in excess of 30,000 items sent to fulfilment centres I can say they have been pretty good for the most part. Except with a few issues of cardboard being hazardous material and the pallet for another company arriving attached to our pallet one time...

13. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

2,413 621
    But they're excellent at lying on my behalf (hah)

The reason I use FBA is because everyone trusts Amazon, whereas "Who the hell are Pish_Pash Enterprises ...they sound dodgy, they'll probably steal my money & I won't get my item" ...and more trust = more sales.

The other great reason for using FBA, is I have a whole gammut of pseudo-staff beavering away for me...but I don't have the responsibility. I'd not make a great employer ("What's that you say...you're calling in sick? DON'T EVER COME BACK IN" [slams down phone])...this is a great way around me having to be one.

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  14. Mr D

16,751 1,869

And judging by the growth of amazon over the years and the growth of 3rd party sales such that a couple of years back they overtook ebay, customers who are not The Byre do trust amazon.

If a company that has grown its own retail side so much was really bad at dealing with customers and grew so much anyway we'd say the number of customers complaining was a small percentage.

15. YPC2017

YPC2017 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 0
    Amazon FBA is awesome. Mega fast, well packed and reliable. When I’m wanting to buy something I go straight to Amazon and select ‘Prime’ only as I can’t be arsed with sellers posting direct.

Posted: Sep 15, 2019 By: YPC2017 Member since: Aug 8, 2017
  16. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Contributor Free Member

82 8
    I would use Amazon FBA but unfortunately they won't accept items our size

Posted: Sep 21, 2019 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  17. Roada UK

Roada UK UKBF Newcomer Full Member

6 1
    Sometimes a smaller order fulfilment company can be a better choice to use. Reliability is key to maintain those 100% positive feedback scores online.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2019
    Posted: Oct 3, 2019 By: Roada UK Member since: Oct 3, 2019