Doing biz with a Nigerian client - what are the risks

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Sparklez35, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    OP, You need to go back over your own posts on this thread.

You have already said you have an 'empty account' ready.

I think you and the client are turning into a good match..the thread quickly changed from actually doing the work and worrying about payment to banking the big money and paying some little guy 400 while you bank 12K.

Both you and the client in Nigeria seem well suited. Your worry is not getting paid, it's getting scammed after you have taken a 'client' to the cleaners .Pretty close some would say ? It's quite convoluted but it has potential for serious below the belt trading all round.

Any normal businessperson would have got past the Blackberry girl by now to someone at the top for this type of order.

You just cant help yourself can you ?.... 12k for 400 quid !!!!

Keep us all informed. :cool:

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  2. papverpoppies

papverpoppies UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,712 2,214
    How to make business look shady and underhand, I am surprised this posting is allowed to stay as you are admitting to ripping someone off (if given the chance)!

Nice work hope you feel proud.

Poppy xx

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 By: papverpoppies Member since: Apr 8, 2009
  3. Sparklez35

Sparklez35 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

60 2
    If two parties agree to a contract then I cant see how you can infer it is "ripping" somebody off.

In any event, the client can walk away at any time. Commitment is when the client signs the contract and any service agreement.

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 By: Sparklez35 Member since: Sep 30, 2008
  4. Sparklez35

60 2
    We quoted 12K because that is what a British based IT company would charge for this type of job. Its just that we are well placed and have the necessary connections to outsource to Chennai cheaply and quickly.

We otherwise dont particularly want the work unless we can make soemthing from it, its just that my husband is a qualified software engineer and can stand as project manager in the assignment the client is asking for, but developing online CRM systems is not our usual line of business.

I find it rather odd you applauded another poster for saying we are 'ripping' a client off. The client is more than caopable of walking away and going elsewhere if they think £12k is too high.

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 By: Sparklez35 Member since: Sep 30, 2008
  5. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    I have a feeling there is going to be a collision of shamelessness on this job between you, your husband and Blackberry girl.

What was your real question because you have listened to nobody on here..just made most of us groan in disbelief I reckon ?

All you seem to have done is expose yourself, that is why I agreed with the previous poster. You are not 'in business'..Lets all be clear on that.

Have you been looking for some kind of endorsement for this rip-off because frankly you are unlikely to get it on here ? Is this how you routinely operate your business ?

The irony is that I fully expect Blackberry Girl to be planning equally dastardly in the rip-off department.

Made for each other.

Do keep us posted...

Posted: Jun 23, 2010 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  6. alexft

alexft UKBF Regular Free Member

357 11
    Is your last name Bucket? I have not seen the series where she got into IT. You are onto big money here potentially. Already got a fans. Let me know when the DVD is ready :)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
    Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: alexft Member since: Oct 30, 2007
  7. mit74

mit74 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,436 444
    I havent read all the posts but isnt there a scam going round atm where a client pays you for the work through a bankers cheque (or some sort) that clears but 'accidently' pays too much and asks you for £x amount back. Then a few weeks later the cheque turns out to be fake and by then you've lost your money.

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: mit74 Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  8. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Mit74. You are on the ball.

That's one big possibility...but surely the OP needs to go the whole nine yards on this ? (read all her posts)...the bedsit is the best bit. I sort of feel there is something poetic going to happen.

Or should someone put her straight ? Not inclined to myself I must say. :cool:

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  9. smallbusiness-uk

smallbusiness-uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

192 33
    i was going to my bed 10 minutes ago when i found this thread haha magic!!!!

keep it coming, it is very strange and entertaining at the same time.

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: smallbusiness-uk Member since: Jun 3, 2010
  10. oldeagleeye

oldeagleeye UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,979 1,218
    Jesus Joseph and Mary. Is the OP bloody naive or what.

You think that you are going to take their money and run OP. Get real man.

Them guys border on the Congo and we are talking home to the Mau Mau terroists who hack people to death and are said to eat their hearts and brains. They terrorised Kenya in the 1950's. Again hacking innocent people to death. They may not do that these days but I guarantee you one thing.

Where crime is concerned these guys will carry carry hachets & bloody big guns and once they have roped you into their scams and money laundering you can bet your life they will make your life an absolute nightmare.

That is until they feel that your too hot and then they will move on and what do you think they will do then. Pat you on the back. Yea right. You would be a threat to them because you will know where some of the money is. In short you would be a liability that they couldn't live with but it will be you that gets a blade thru yiur ribs - not them.

You have been warned. STAY AWAY from these guys.

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  11. filtuh.com

filtuh.com UKBF Regular Free Member

381 77
    where's the popcorn smiley?

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: filtuh.com Member since: Feb 28, 2010
  12. oldeagleeye

3,979 1,218
    The OP wants to watch the last scene in Wild Geese.:eek:

Don't forget the ketchup with your popcorn.

R

13. sjr4x4

sjr4x4 UKBF Regular Full Member

432 72
    Or for the younger generation, it's where Dumbledore gets it. :eek:

Classic film, with ****y Burton at his best :D

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: sjr4x4 Member since: Sep 13, 2006
  14. oldeagleeye

3,979 1,218
    To lighten the thread a bit.

Agree with the Buron at his best and teaming him up with Richard Harris was a bonus 2 questions though.

2 code names were used in that scene at the airfield when Burton tried to call in the rescue plane. One was Mother Goose for the plane and it was obvious where that came from but what was Burton's code name. Everbody that has seen the films seems to remember it and it is one of the few impersonations we can all do. Try it.

"This is ----- --- calling Mother Goose". I bet it comes back accent and all.

Q2. Burton used the same code name in another even more famous war movie. What was it.

R

15. OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy UKBF Legend { Moderator }

20,507 7,070
    Scammers Scam because there are people who are gullible and greedy, mostly people who believe they are too clever to be scammed.

I am not saying that this IS a scam, I am simply saying that the other day I saw what looked like a duck waddling down the road, it quacked like a duck, walked like a duck,.... What do you think it might have been?

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: OldWelshGuy Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  16. Wallpaper

Wallpaper UKBF Newcomer Free Member

62 7
    I think it may have been a duck

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: Wallpaper Member since: May 4, 2010
  17. oldeagleeye

3,979 1,218
    That wasn't no duck. That was a Fox advertising the mag for Linux.

In any event. Don't take no notice of OWG. He is far to sensible and down to earth he dosent even believe that Pigs Can Fly.

Of course they can. Just look up at the sky over Westminster where you find hundreds of them circling waiting to swoop down and pick up their expenses.:eek:

18. Zeno

Zeno UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,498 1,223
    The fact the the OP seems to think that they can scam the scammers out of their ill gotten gains suggests why the scammers targetted them in the first place.

Good luck to them all I say. Let us know how it turns out (If you still have a computer or fingers to type with).

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: Zeno Member since: Jun 12, 2008
  19. LicensedToTrade

LicensedToTrade UKBF Legend Free Member

6,315 2,138
    I was reading through this thread and was shocked that it took me to page 7 of posts before someone identifies that the only proven scammer in this situation was the OP! The nigerian may or may not be scamming you...on that there is no certainty.

The only certainty is that I am unlikely to ever hire your services for £12k if you are subbing the job out to india for £400. I'm shocked that you even admitted that on an open forum, not a great bit of PR.

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: LicensedToTrade Member since: Nov 7, 2009
  20. Sparklez35

60 2
    Wow! the trolls on this forum have been busy all night.

Not sure why the trolls think we are 'ripping' someone off. Its perfectly lawful to offshore a contract. Its called sub contracting - and in business it happens all the time.

Its no different to a call centre being offshored to India. My husband has stood as project manager for the design, development of the IT infrstructure and trained local staff for several call centres businesses in India for British companies since 1996.

Anyway, we have spoken to our bank and mit74 - you have given the most accurate advice.

Our bank were very clear that cheques especially travellers cheques are offlimits from any Nigerian client who is not known to us and cannot pass a credit check. It has to be a BACS transaction only and it will be 50% in advance and 50% on sign off.

We can otherwise go ahead with the order if the client chooses to go with us and signs contracts and the service aggreement.

Posted: Jun 24, 2010 By: Sparklez35 Member since: Sep 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.