Does Travel Time to and from first job count as working day

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by SJP20, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Podge

Podge UKBF Legend

1,154 367
    `
    How would this fit with working tax credits and hours worked, would the employee be deemed to have worked five hours or seven?

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

15,993 4,515
    I'm not sure about tax credits. Do the tax credit regulations state what counts as work?

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. Podge

Podge UKBF Legend

1,154 367
    I don't think that they do, but I know the hours matter. in the scenario above, if i was working 9 to 5 I would be working 35 hours a week which means I would be eligible for tax credits, however my employer would only be recording me working 25 hours a week making me not eligible for tax credits.

See where I'm coming from?

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  4. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

15,993 4,515
    I understand the issue. I don't know the answer.

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  5. TPS Test

TPS Test UKBF Newcomer

67 7
    Do you charge the customer for the travel time to their site?

If you do and (presumably) you charge it at a rate per hour/mileage charge at which you make a profit over and above your employees rate per hour then I would just pay your man for the time he spends getting there.

If you don't charge the customer for his travel time then perhaps you should

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 By: TPS Test Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  6. tomp1986

tomp1986 UKBF Regular

354 45
    The way we work it is the employee is paid from the moment he is picked up so say 0700 sometimes we dont get to the first job till 0830

So he is paid for traveling to the first job

But the minute the last job finishes he is stopped on the payroll

I see this as fair as its give and take

If someone works 30 minutes from there place of work there employer isn't paying them for being on the bus or train

So I see this as fair and they seem happy at that

Hope this helps

Cheers tom

Posted: Jul 17, 2013 By: tomp1986 Member since: Nov 21, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. jakethehighlander

jakethehighlander UKBF Newcomer

2 0
    I have been in current business for over 11 years and this has been on-going issue. We are all paid by the hr. My travel time to work from home is only 5 mins to H/Q. We go away to many locations on set ups. Its all about whether the passengers should get paid travel time? I say drivers should...For example a 2 hr drive to Aberdeen. We have been told passengers (workers) will get paid travel time to the said location but not on return journey to base...Also when we are away from home overnight, we are told we do not clock on from hotel till we are on site. Also if we finish on site we clock off then. But as a driver I feel I should still be paid to drive workers and stuff in van back to hotel and to the site? Nothing is on paper, nothing in contract and all verbal! Its like they make it up as they go along!

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 By: jakethehighlander Member since: Jan 4, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.