Does it worth to submit a business on online directories, in 2019?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Acejlari, Jul 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acejlari

Acejlari UKBF Newcomer

18 0
    Hi everyone,

So I've typed directories in the search box and I haven't found relevant answers.

As a result, I'd like to have the perspectives of business owners or marketers about the point of having a business or website listed on directories such as Yell.

First of all, as you might be aware, there is absolutely no SEO benefit from directories. Being said, if we can't fetch SEO values from directories, what about traffic and leads? For instance, I've submitted my website on Gumtree which is not a directory, their links are no-follow, but it brings me traffic, calls and sales. Contrarily, Yell seldom drives traffic to my website and it's one of the most famous directory.

Do people use directories? Do decision-makers use it? Do you generate business from it? Is there any case study available on business directories?

Thanks in advance everyone, for sharing your insight.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 By: Acejlari Member since: May 24, 2018
  2. Calvin Crane

Calvin Crane Contributor

245 36
    You sound like your advertising gumtree?

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 By: Calvin Crane Member since: Jun 8, 2018
  3. Acejlari

Acejlari UKBF Newcomer

18 0
    To be honest with you, I don't think Gumtree needs advertising

4. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,840 10,645
    Depends on your business. A 'manwithavan' mate gets all his work from a directory listing. In general though they are a waste of time.
    Depends on the directory. Niche or local directories can have great SEO value.
    I was looking for a landscaper and ended up on a directory from which we found someone.

So the answer to your question is: it depends.

Posted: Jul 21, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Acejlari

Acejlari UKBF Newcomer

18 0
    Thanks for your contribution, I find it useful. In fact, companies supplying electricians, plumbers, landscapers, removals still can get business from those directories, I think, now.

6. WebshopMechanic

WebshopMechanic Full Member
    Contributor

482 263
    Directories might not be useful for bringing in leads directly but they are important for local SEO because they provide additional ranking signals within a town or postcode.

Google is looking to serve up the most relevant local business for search terms that include 'near me' and '<service> in <insert name> town' so it searches Google My Business (GMB) listings, websites, directories, social platforms, local citations, news sites, etc.

Businesses are not ranked based on their website alone because some websites fail to show their name, address and telephone number (NAP) correctly on the site, or even at all. Some also don't have their Google Business Listing updated.

Local search is a little bit of a minefield but, if you have a presence in the main business directories that serve your area WITH A CONSISTENT NAP FORMAT then you give yourself the best change of ranking high locally and getting into the Google 3-pack (a.k.a top 3 business listings).

Check out a company called Bright Local (no affiliation). They provide a local SEO directories submission and citation building service. They ensure you appear in a consistent way across all the platforms.

Remember, Google is clever but it's just a robot so it might find it difficult to collate a business that is listed across 20 directories with variations of spelling, telephone numbers and listed services.

In addition to being listed in directories, you want to be creating localised content on your blog and Google My Business page. You should also be looking to get involved in location PR and joint ventures with businesses and organisations (like sports clubs).

The more relevant the content the better chance you have of appearing over your competition in that area.

Local SEO needs consistency and lots of pieces of the jigsaw aligned. Directories may not appear useful on the face of it but Google see the big ones as having authority which is an important ranking signal.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 By: WebshopMechanic Member since: Apr 27, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. TrustyWind

TrustyWind UKBF Newcomer

1 0
    It depends - if this is a good quality directory, that's connected to your business this may be helpful. There's a lot of elements that may affect your business but it's always right to test new things.

Posted: Jul 31, 2019 By: TrustyWind Member since: Jul 31, 2019
  8. GFI

GFI UKBF Newcomer

45 6
    I am on all of the local directories, with a free listing, with every possible box filled out.

The point being - it is free, and if I get 1 customer from it great!

Basically, just do it - how can it hurt your business????

I am not clever enough to ensure it helps with google rankings, SEO and PPC outsourced. Time is my most valuable commodity : )

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: GFI Member since: Jan 30, 2019
  9. billybob99

billybob99 Contributor

1,844 648
    Don't mind him. He thinks big corps to bluechips all come here to advertise their stuff.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  10. Aishley Giles

Aishley Giles UKBF Newcomer

12 2
    I don't think it works like that, I should suggest submitting to highly relevant directories which have good authority. If a local business then submit to local directories.

Posted: Aug 8, 2019 By: Aishley Giles Member since: Jul 2, 2019
  11. DigitalSheppard

DigitalSheppard UKBF Newcomer

14 0
    Directories - the right ones - have a good bit of SEO value. However, let's forget about that aspect for a moment:

Directories are important for customers from an identification point of view. I actually get conversions from websites such as Yell. They also often allow customers to leave reviews which builds trust.

Finally, there's no reason NOT to list your company on directories. Just make sure they are used, relevant to your business, and not purely for the purposes of building links.

Posted: Aug 9, 2019 By: DigitalSheppard Member since: Jun 6, 2019
  12. onebasemedia

onebasemedia UKBF Newcomer

16 3
    Free Directories are generally a total waste of time and effort. More than often, their monthly traffic is in very small figures and their Domain Trust Score will be zero. Some are worth submitting to simply for brand-awareness – think Yell, Yelp, Cyclex etc. – but be prepared to field a series of sales calls to try to convince you to pay for expensive ‘premium’ listings.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 By: onebasemedia Member since: Sep 12, 2018
  13. Nighthawk Software

Nighthawk Software UKBF Contributor

67 12
    Absolutely list yourself on the directories! It will take you a couple of hours to do, and if it gets you one referral, then its paid for itself. There's really no reason not to!

When i went freelance, I expected to get most of my business through freelance sites such as upwork / peopleperhour etc. I thought it would be a waste of time adding my details to online directories, as I live in a rural area.

One Christmas, I did it anyway - it took about half a day to add to all the major directories.

A month later, i got a call out of the blue from a local company looking for a local freelancer. I've built a business on the back of that enquiry, opened and office and taken on my first employee. It has since led to a number of referrals for other projects too.

All by spending half a day submitting our details to free directory listing sites. In terms of ROI, it must be through the roof!

Posted: Sep 3, 2019 By: Nighthawk Software Member since: Feb 12, 2016
  14. Happy Koala SEO Agency

Happy Koala SEO Agency UKBF Newcomer

10 0
    everything that people have said above is right but one thing to add is this.

SEO is about creating your brand across the web, by doing this you are telling Google that you are playing by its wishes. You get points with Google for doing certain things because it shows that you are trying to create your online presence in the right way.

So the question is - would a successful business be on directories?

The answer is yes - so you should be too.

Don't think of it in how much value you get for SEO purposes - but they do help and they should be some of the first links that you get for your website.

Make sure they are good directories and niche relevant or local and you will be fine.

The other added benefit of directories is you get a bunch of links with great anchor text like your website.com, click here, visit website.

This helps later down the line when you want to guest post and use a partial match or exact match anchor.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 By: Happy Koala SEO Agency Member since: May 30, 2019
  15. fisicx

fisicx Moderator
    Verified Business ✔️
    Contributor

34,840 10,645
    Don't need to be. I'm not and I'm doing OK. Most of my work comes from outside the UK - so getting listed on local directories is just pointless.
    Something Google advises against doing...

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  16. Happy Koala SEO Agency

Happy Koala SEO Agency UKBF Newcomer

10 0

I agree with you fisicx - you don't have to get directory listings, some types of companies don't need them. But the OP said "there is absolutely no SEO benefit from directories" - and i was just saying that there is a lot of good sides and it makes logical sense as a general rule of thumb.

---

Google advises against almost everything that manipulates the rankings when it comes to links.

So if you want to rank you will be actively finding websites to either partner with or to add value to their website visitors.

On some of those, you will get a brand anchor link or www. link, and on some, they may be kind enough to use a partial match or exact match keyword on occasion.

What i was saying is that when you do get those exact match and partial match they are more effective because you haven't spammed your site with them, so they hold more weight.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 By: Happy Koala SEO Agency Member since: May 30, 2019
  17. StevePoster

StevePoster Contributor

1,046 149
    There are only few reputable directory sites that are still active today and we must expect some of them are paid. However, there are more useful and effecitve platforms today compared to directories.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 By: StevePoster Member since: Nov 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.