Does having links from same IP matter.

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Bill Ryan, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Ryan

Bill Ryan UKBF Enthusiast

326 82
    I have a couple of sites on the same shared host.

Are links between the sites (which are different in nature and content but have a small overlap) of less value than if they were on different host servers.

They are separate .co.uk domains.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 By: Bill Ryan Member since: Feb 2, 2009
  2. FireFleur

FireFleur UKBF Legend

1,864 440
    I think at times it matters a bit (in the negative) but at other times it doesn't appear to. Google does change the weighting in the algorithms.

It could be checking the DNS record for the owner and then doing an exact match, this is a time when consistency may actually work against you.

You can bind multiple IP numbers to a NIC (Network Interface Card) so you could stump up for some more IP numbers and host on separate ones if you want to, and keep the costs low.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    Posted: Aug 5, 2009 By: FireFleur Member since: Oct 29, 2008
  3. ozbon

ozbon UKBF Big Shot

748 165
    In short, it shouldn't matter too much.

In my experience, it's the links that are more relevant than the IP - Google et al know about sites on shared hosts etc. (it's hardly uncommon, after all) so the IP is less relevant.

Of course, if *all* the links to the site were from that one IP, that'd probably flag up as potentially naughty. But so long as you've got links going off to plenty of other sites (and links coming in from plenty of other sites too) you should be fine.

That's my experience of it, anyway.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 By: ozbon Member since: Apr 24, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. FireFleur

FireFleur UKBF Legend

1,864 440
    Adding a bit more to this, you can have multiple hosts on a domain, and use virtual hosts in the web server so same machine, same IP number.

Those appear to give a similar weighting to internal. Which is why you often hear the advice just grow one site, because you gain more connectivity with a standard nav on each page, whereas if you split the nav into two sites, with only a bit of cross linking, you reduce the pagerank on your hero pages.

You can use multiple hosts for site improvement, but you have to be fairly savvy about how you do it, and it involves creating tons of related content.

I am in this hell at the moment on some of my sites :) It is fun, but I wouldn't do it to a client, it is just a really bad ratio of effort to result, but as I am creating the content, and don't have to wait on the content, it is working out for me fairly well, time will tell though :)

I actually see websites as an army, each page starts out as a corporal, and pages get demoted to private when fewer pages are promoted up the chain, the more pages the more privates you can make to promote other pages to officers and beyond, until you have your hero. Well it keeps me entertained and off the streets :)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
    Posted: Aug 5, 2009 By: FireFleur Member since: Oct 29, 2008
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. nickpp

nickpp UKBF Contributor

236 11
    if you are linking from different class c ip's yes it does help.
    Ips in the same range don't help that much

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 By: nickpp Member since: Aug 11, 2008
  6. crossdaz

crossdaz Guest

0 0
    If you are banging links left right and centre then you risk being penalised but one or two links seems to be acceptable, especially if they are relevant.

In terms of reduced value - almost certainly the value is going to be less, by how much, nobody can tell you that but in my opinion it goes back to relevancy? You can make your link 'more relevant' by surrounding it in a block of text though :)

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 By: crossdaz Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  7. Vizcom

Vizcom UKBF Contributor

107 19
    From my experience the links carry more weight from different hosts.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 By: Vizcom Member since: Jan 26, 2009
  8. ORDERED WEB

ORDERED WEB UKBF Legend

1,645 393
    Can't say I have never seen the slightest difference. when you take a step back an d think about it, there are so few hosts in comparisons to websites, if it did make a difference, it would be headline news

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 By: ORDERED WEB Member since: Jun 30, 2009
  9. serendipitybusiness

serendipitybusiness UKBF Big Shot

975 175
    A few links won't have any negative effect however if you were looking for a more positive effect then I would suggest getting a dedicated IP for each site.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: serendipitybusiness Member since: Jun 27, 2008
  10. ORDERED WEB

ORDERED WEB UKBF Legend

1,645 393
    One of my doamins is on a shared server..
    Here are the details:

- IP hosts 973 Total Domains

If google peanalised me because 5 of those "very diverse domains" pointed at my site, there would be uproar.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: ORDERED WEB Member since: Jun 30, 2009
  11. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend

9,157 2,080
    I have to say, especially since we're running out of IPv4, I'd hate if Google were so naive as to penalise sites that link to each other just because they're on the same IP. Having said that....

...after using and trying to do book keeping using Google Checkout's reports, it wouldn't surprise me.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  12. crossdaz

crossdaz Guest

0 0
    There would be a problem though if you also happened to link back to those sites. So on a small scale you are best only linking one way.

Once you get into double figures the complexities of attempting to 'look natural' can become infinite.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: crossdaz Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  13. FireFleur

FireFleur UKBF Legend

1,864 440
    If there is a penalty, then it is tiny.

I would say that the things to watch out for is the ringing of a domain, so you have one main domain, and then you purchase 20 domains that are similar, and then you put up a page on each of those that just links to the main domain, google don't like that no matter if it comes from different IPs or not.

And you can do that without buying other domains, or introducing hosts, and they don't like it and can penalise. So, if you want that approach you have to create lots of content that is relevant. In fact they don't tend to penalise they instead don't index a page with little content.

I think they term it gateway pages. But if you put up 20 pages with content, that link to you main domain, that is fine, that's a website :)

It is about effort in many ways with google, if you find something that takes little effort, a shortcut, then it might work, but once it is understood as being of little effort it may just not get indexed.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 By: FireFleur Member since: Oct 29, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.