Status
Not open for further replies.

Faevilangel

Website Critic
Free Member
Jun 29, 2009
Gloucestershire
www.garethgillman.co.uk
My mum went for a new role before xmas and was refused as she didn't have a passport, their HR department said they can't take anyone on if they don't have a passport.

She has a UK driving license and has a national insurance number which I thought was enough to be able to show that she has the right to work in the UK.

Is the company right or are they just over cautious?

There are alternatives to providing a passport. One alternative is to provide a full birth certificate plus an official document issued by previous employer or government department showing the persons name and national insurance number. Full list of acceptable documents can be found here.

Upvote 0
According to the UKBA website, you can present a birth certificate together with evidence of an NI number, which could be a document from a previous employer.

So no, a passport is not necessary.

I would have thought your mother could bring a case for unlawful discrimination.

Upvote 0
If the job is in the UK and no requirement to go outside the UK on business, I can't see any reason to refuse a non-passport holder.

Guessing the HR can't be bothered to make other checks.

Upvote 0
This is how it is now thanks to our wonderful government issuing massive penalties for employing people who shouldn't be employed.

Welcome to the red tape world :(

Upvote 0

deniser

Free Member
Jun 3, 2008
London
A

So no, a passport is not necessary.

I would have thought your mother could bring a case for unlawful discrimination.

Except that it says
"The.best.way.to.make.sure.that.you.do.not.discriminate.is.to.treat.all.job.applicants.in.the.
same way.at.each.stage.of.your.recruitment.process..You.should.ask.all.people.you.are.
looking.to.employ.to.present.their.documents.before.they.start.working.for.you..You.should.not.
make.assumptions.about.a.person’s.right.to.work.in.the.UK.on.the.basis.of.their.background,.
appearance.or.accent"

Reactions: patientlady
Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
Newcastle
Yes but a valid UK driving licence, a recent proof of address and a national insurance number is certainly enough proof that they are entitled to work in the UK.[/qu

Not necessarily. What if they used to have the right to work, but that right has expired. They would still have a NI number, UK driving licence and recent address.

Upvote 0
Except that it says...
Fair point. No tribunal then.

I'm sure it was not the intention of the legislation to create discrimination against UK citizens without passports, but that is clearly what has happened in this case.

I think that is wrong.

Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
Newcastle
Every job interview I have attended recently has stated that you must bring with you proof of right to work in the UK, and they list what is acceptable, including full UK birth certificate. They also state that if you attend for interview without that proof, that will be the end of the matter - no interview.

Perhaps that is what happened to the OP's mother, and the interviewer used the word passport as shorthand.

Upvote 0

Newchodge

Business Member
Nov 8, 2012
Newcastle
They refused to accept the BC as it "can easily be faked" and point blank refused to interview her without a passport.

This is a large multinational retailer btw

Then I think she has good grounds for a strongly worded letter to the head of HR, perhaps copied to the CEO.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu