do you have time for spirituality?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by stephendoyle, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephendoyle

stephendoyle UKBF Regular

642 41
    with the modern business owner more and more anxious and stressed does everyone out there have time for spirituality?

i dont want it to turn into a discussion of religions i want to know if as individuals we make time to have a quiet moment, pray, meditate, go to church etc... ?

personally i think we all should make time and for at least 1/2 hour a day do something that gets us away from the pressures and stress.

i like to study and meditate however i know that isnt for everyone!

maybe a few chilled ones on a bank holiday is another way! :redface:

Stephen Doyle

m: 07877658579
    w: www.ccuk-ltd.com
    e: [email protected]

Super Human Sales Training
    & Killer Copy Writing

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: stephendoyle Member since: Mar 7, 2007
  2. coxadmin

coxadmin UKBF Enthusiast

2,090 84
    My Christian faith is part of me and going to church on a Sunday is a priority, as is participating as a committed member of my church. Praying daily is as much part of my day as eating - I don't always find time to read my bible but I try.

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: coxadmin Member since: Nov 5, 2004
  3. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Legend

4,499 598
    No, I dont' do any of those things.

The closest I get to it, is getting up earlier than the rest of the family for five minutes peace, which is very valuable to me. I always appreciate any time alone in silence as there is very little of this commodity in my days.

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  4. Hayles

Hayles UKBF Contributor

2,622 11
    I sit and wonder quite often... does that count? :)

H

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: Hayles Member since: Nov 5, 2005
  5. stephendoyle

642 41
    hi hayles,

lol - i think we all do that time to time.

i was once told that the best time management and planners always fit time for "reflection" into their day!

regards
    steve

6. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend

5,803 1,533
    I certainly contemplate the big questions and take time to keep things in perspective. However, although I have what would be called christian values and am not religious.

As I get older it becomes easier to do these things.

d

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  7. Dizzydiza

Dizzydiza UKBF Regular

903 35
    as webmaster of my local church website i can tell you that there are very many places online that one can find for a quiet moment of prayer or reflection....i have a page dedicated to interesting religious links and stories
    feel free to visit it at www.shctk.co.uk then click on the side menu Other Links to find this page :)

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: Dizzydiza Member since: Apr 29, 2006
  8. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend

5,997 1,017
    Whilst I am quite spritual and a big believer in the subsconscious mind, meditation and quiet thinking time its based purely on science and being agnostic religion plays no part in my life whatsoever. That said I would never question anyones beliefs.

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  9. Redbaron

Redbaron UKBF Newcomer

145 1
    Have you often wondered why a tree lives for a thousand years a turtle can live 800yrs and a swan 83yrs but us humans only three score & ten average, a tree just stands there, a turtle just swims around, and a swan just swans around.

Now we humans can develop a business, create things with our hands do many creative things, even become a Master Craftsman, it seems so illogical does it not, this is worth meditating on do you not think.

Regards

Redbaron

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: Redbaron Member since: Aug 24, 2007
  10. stephendoyle

642 41
    hi redbaron,

we humans have stress

11. Redbaron

Redbaron UKBF Newcomer

145 1
    Hi Steve

How long them would we live without stress then?

12. simonr

simonr UKBF Enthusiast

838 71
    It's a matter of making time for me. Otherwise we risk turning into "just money making machines": we have to remind ourselves sometimes why we're making the money. It's not an end in itself - it's so we can spend time with the ones we love, doing the things we love.

If that means turning down work then so be it (though I'd rather not, obviously! :) )

S

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: simonr Member since: Dec 11, 2006
  13. stephendoyle

642 41
    hi redbaron,

a lot longer than we do now.

stress is the biggest modern day epidemic in my opinion

linked to heart and other problems.

years ago we only used "adrenaline" to get us out of situations or to hunt etc. now we are in a constant state of adrenaline and using our nervious system sometimes constantly in a day.

we would live a lot longer without daily stress and worry

14. stephendoyle

642 41
    obviously diet and other factors have to be taken into account as well.

15. Redbaron

Redbaron UKBF Newcomer

145 1
    Steve

The longest life on record is that of Methuselah, who lived 969 years we must be really stressed out then.

16. stephendoyle

642 41
    thought i detected a hint of sarcasm earlier.

as i said each to their own.

whats your point?

17. .Spiralling.

.Spiralling. UKBF Ace

1,009 100
    spirituality and religion are 2 different things, although some people choose to express their spirituality through their religion. In general I think humans are spiritual beings and we need to make time for that spirituality, in whatever form that takes (and yes, it can mean simply sitting and thinking, or having a quiet five minutes before everyone gets up). Not to make time for this side of ourselves is asking for problems - we need to help ourselves to good mental, physical, emotional and spiritual health.

My whole business is based on spirituality - but I still sometimes need reminding to take care of my own spiritual needs as well as those of others!

I express my spirituality in a number of ways, but when things are getting too much a trip to Sherwood Forest, just down the road, always does the trick. I was handfasted in Sherwood Forest and I like to sit where we held the ceremony, off the beaten track, and just be. I always feel renewed afterwards.

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: .Spiralling. Member since: Jan 16, 2007
  18. Guest

0 0
    Interesting thread but more relevant to the 'Time Out' section I would have thought.

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  19. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Legend

12,965 1,918
    The thread title implies an either/or scenario. For me, spiritual life is there no matter what I'm doing and is not either/or. Having said that, there's nothing like walking the Cornish coastal footpath in a roaring gale to appreciate the spiritual aspect of life. :)

Posted: Aug 27, 2007 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  20. Redbaron

Redbaron UKBF Newcomer

145 1
    Hi Steve

Not trying to wind you up, just trying to make the discussion into something that we must all meditate on and think about given the facts.

When my Mum died I asked the Doctor "What did she die of and he said "Natural Causes" and then asked the question so you could not pinpoint the exact cause of death, he said No! under normal circumstances the body keeps renewing itself so we haven't worked out the explanation yet.

This made me wonder why would a creator put eternity in to our hearts, as no-one wants to die, and yet we do, does it make sense to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.