General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Do dividend payments affect workin tax credits???

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by M&b123, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M&b123

M&b123 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Hello!!

I'm after some advice with regards to dividend payments and working tax credits.

I have recently started my own ltd company. Now I grasp the basics of paying myself the minimum personal allowance over the course of the year, then top up my wages with dividend payments. Now here is what I need advice on.

I have a family of 1 and another on the way. My partner claims working/child tax credits for our first child already on a salary of £20,000. When we have our second child, again she will claim for working/child tax credits. My salary is based on the personal allowance rate, an therefore puts me on low income. If I was to apply for working tax credits too, would any dividend payments I receive affect any money I may have to pay back to hmrc for tax credits...?? Would I have to declare dividend payments to hmrc as extra income??? I'm unsure on this area as I'm told then any dividend payments I receive are tax free!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 By: M&b123 Member since: Apr 26, 2011
  2. Philip Hoyle

Philip Hoyle UKBF Ace Free Member

2,243 1,086
    Yes, you have to declare dividends as part of your income for tax credits and also declare them on your personal tax return. Dividends aren't tax free. They come with a nominal 10% tax credit which discharges the tax liability for a basic rate taxpayer - your "income" is the gross dividend with the tax credit added to the actual amount you receive.

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 By: Philip Hoyle Member since: Apr 3, 2007
  3. M&b123

3 0
    Thank you. But when my second child arrives and I apply for working/child tax credits how do I avoid getting hmrc billing me for overpayments on tax credits?? Because I'm going to put down my basic salary on the form but I do not know what amount I will receive in dividends over the course of the year!

4. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,822 1,877
    Is your partner getting tax credits just based on her income or on your combined income?

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  5. M&b123

3 0
    We currently receive credits solely based on her income.

6. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,822 1,877
    Did you have any income whilst she was claiming the tax credits, and are you living together as a couple?

You do know that tax credits is based on household income and you don't normally claim as 2 individuals but as a couple with the combined income taken in to consideration?

People claiming as a single person rather than as a couple is apparantly one of the most common reasons for overpayment.

Posted: Apr 26, 2011 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.