Do companies in UK provide dropshipping for own products?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by beautyandthebeast, Jan 8, 2018.

1. beautyandthebeast

beautyandthebeast UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Hi,

I am looking to reside in Dubai but want to set up a company in the UK selling items I have sourced from India.

I had a business premises here that I was going to use, but decided to sell it to set up this new venture. I do not want to risk setting up a storage unit and staff member especially during the early days where sales may be weak.

I remember years ago a courier telling me that they offer a picking and packing service.

Is there a way I can send my products to a warehouse here in the UK and they pick, pack and post the items out on my behalf from sales off our own website?

If yes, please can you point me in the right direction of what to look for and what kind of costs are involved aside from postage costs.

I have tried to search this but only companies that sell their own products come up.

Thanks guys

Jamie

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 By: beautyandthebeast Member since: Dec 22, 2017
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

7,075 745
    Fulfilment service.
    There are a number of companies doing it, have a search on google.
    Or search on the forums, may find members running such services.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. beautyandthebeast

7 0
    ahhh thank you, I was typing in Dropshipping and was not finding what I was after. Thank you very much :)

4. Mr D

7,075 745
    Not a problem.
    The search is a lot easier when you know what terms others are using.
    Have used Royal Mail fulfilment service a few years ago. It was reasonable price for what I wanted at the time, not cost effective on cheaper items though.
    Things may have changed, have not kept up with their pricing and services.

Posted: Jan 8, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. beautyandthebeast

7 0
    Just had a look on Google and had a couple of quotes now for ideas on costs. I will have a look at Royal Mail too. Our profits will vary across items but I would try to add the cost into the postage and packing charge where possible.

I will continue my search again tomorrow. :)

6. mtools

mtools UKBF Regular Free Member

393 41
    I am in the process of outsourcing all my warehousing and packaging to a fulfilment centre. I've had quotes from James & James, Pack-It, DK Fulfilment and Fulfilment Logistics UK. I'm sure there are one or two others as well. They're all very similarly prices (except James and James who are about 50% more expensive), but there's a lot of variation, some charge more for storage, some charge more for picking and packing (then there's depending on whether a second item in an order is the same item or a different etc.) and then there's all sorts of other things to consider. For me, when i factored everything in it works out at about £5 per order, i.e. if I had 500 orders in a month I'd be paying out £2,500 to the fulfilment centre. Obviously you'll want them to integrate with your website, most of them do it with a plugin or API and they take your orders automatically so don't even require any form of upload. Definitely worth looking into though. I worked out that I could get rid of 1,500 sq ft warehouse, rent a small 120 sq ft office for admin and pay the same outgoings as I do now, just without the hassle of packing orders for 2-3 hours a day (and also not being able to go on holiday because there would be no-one to pack orders!). Hope that helps!

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 By: mtools Member since: Mar 27, 2013
  7. Mr D

7,075 745
    And not forgetting at the busy time of year someone else is employing the staff and doing the hard work.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Contributor Free Member

69 8
    £5 per order seems way pricey. Is that Inc shipping and have you also added in the actual storage cost?

If it includes shipping it would be pretty good.

I do b2b so my orders are fulfilled as follows.

1.50 order charge
    £0.45 per pick regardless of carton qty or single unit qty.
    £2.5 per pallet per week storage.
    + materials for packaging

An Order today was for 22 units of 7 items.

Cost:

22 x £0.45
    1.50 order charge
    Materials @ £0.79
    Total: £12.19

Order tomorrow is:

60'000 units of stock on 4 pallets.
    Reformatted to 3 pallets.

30 picks for reformatting to 3 pallets.

30 x £0.45
    Order charge £1.50
    Pallet charge @ £10 each.
    Total cost: £55

Shipping is never included and storage is not being factored. The 60k order arrives tomorrow and ships within 2 working days.

I've moaned a bit about my fulfillment people but I've also noticed many clients who use this type of service swap and change a lot. That would be a nightmare for me.

been with the same company 3 years.

Posted: Jan 11, 2018 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  9. mtools

393 41
    Yes, hence the "when I've factored everything in", i.e. everything ;-)

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: mtools Member since: Mar 27, 2013
  10. mtools

393 41
    My best price was:
    Pick & Pack £1 for first item then 30p for subsequent items
    Mail bags (I supply)
    Returns: £2.50 per order
    Storage: £8.07 / pallet / month
    RM 24 Tracked: £3.77
    RM 48 Tracked : £2.92
    2kg+ Courier: £5.95

Management fee: £100

All fees exclude VAT

At 10m3 storage + 500 orders / month with 1.7 items per order average it works out at
    Pick & Pack: £1 x 500 + £0.30 x 300 = £605
    Postage: 200 x RM24 + 300 x RM48 = £1,630
    Storage: £8.07 x 10 = £80.70
    Returns: £20 x £2.50
    Management: £100

Total £2,465.70 (£4.93 per order)

11. Mr D

7,075 745
    Compared to doing the work yourself that's.... not bad. Not bad at all.

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  12. lesliedocherty

lesliedocherty UKBF Ace Free Member

2,070 278
    Thats a pretty decent deal, no hassles, go on holiday etc, defo worth letting someone else do it, you can spend more time growing the business

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: lesliedocherty Member since: Jun 17, 2006
  13. mtools

393 41
    Yeah it is isn’t it? hopefully it works out as well as I think. Running my company for 5 years 3 of those in 1,500 sq ft unit and my outgoings are about the same as the above so financially I’ll be in a similar position whilst freeing up a few hours per day for other things. Having had on average of 4 days off each of those last 3 years I’m looking forward to having a holiday at some point!

14. Trevor Unitt

Trevor Unitt UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    I should look to increase my prices!

First Pick £1.00
    additional pick is £0.25
    Returns £1.00
    Pallet storage £6.50 pcm
    2KG courier £5.50
    Management fee of £65pm.

Who was that quote from @mtools ?

Posted: Feb 4, 2018 By: Trevor Unitt Member since: Jun 12, 2017
  15. Sam Drury

Sam Drury UKBF Contributor Free Member

63 10
    Looks like I have a really good deal then, paying £0.85 first pick, £0.20 each additional item.

Posted: Feb 5, 2018 By: Sam Drury Member since: Sep 15, 2017
  16. Trevor Unitt

Trevor Unitt UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Those are very good rates but it all depends on much more the first and additional picks. You must be selling quite a few to get them rates. Theres storage charges and other charges to think off

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: Trevor Unitt Member since: Jun 12, 2017
  17. IanDade

IanDade UKBF Regular Free Member

197 35
    I am happy to provide prices to anyone who wants to start up with a fulfilment house or wants some prices to compare to their current operation.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 8, 2018 By: IanDade Member since: Jan 20, 2010
  18. AW Swindon

AW Swindon UKBF Contributor Full Member

38 1
    The structure of how a fulfilment warehouse costs its service offering is basically a balancing calculation between the fixed cost and the variable costs.
    It is important to get the balance right for your business and your set of products and volumes. As some have mentioned earlier its good practise to look at the total costs over a period not just focusing in on the pence per order. This will take in to account the low order days and the high order days, remember the costs like Admin and Storage are there even if you sell only a few orders.
    Please be cautious if a fulfilment supplier can rattle off a price over the phone after only talking to you for a few minutes, It is likely that the balance is in their favour. Make sure the provider takes time to understand your business and provides you with a Win Win set of prices.
    Purely as a networking opportunity, I am happy to discuss and help with any aspect of Fulfilment and Supporting Logistics (UK/Global), please don't hesitate to contact me.

Posted: Feb 10, 2018 By: AW Swindon Member since: Sep 20, 2017