Dispute with customer reviews site

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by wilsjames, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,569 985
    Business lesson 1 - do not put a free listing on yell, in my opinion.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  2. wilsjames

wilsjames UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 0
    They have companies by the balls if a review is left the review for that company comes up number 1 for all google searches relating to that company. Even above the said companies own website so you either pay them what they ask for so you can manipulate your company reviews or as we have found out the hard way have 5 years of your business ruined overnight

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: wilsjames Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  3. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,637 2,151
    The full report sent to "Which" magazine may just stir them into a review, they have quite a lot of political clout, about the best i can suggest

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  4. wilsjames

23 0
    On doing more research many companies have tried and fought to get their names and website removed from this platform and failed because of where they have set the head office up.

It looks like we can do little to nothing to fight against what they have done or go down the route of a David vs. Goliath legal battle which myself personally i don,t want to put the company or my employees and customers through.

5. Prime81

Prime81 UKBF Regular Free Member

100 15
    I use certain sites to get reviews for holidays and products but I know some will be fake, some will be manipulated and some will be from people who are never happy with anything in life.

I'm sure you reputation proceeds you as a decent company and personally I would remove all traces of your provider from anything belonging to you and carry on with your normal advertising methods.

Why don't you use Google Maps as your only true review centre and encourage your old clients to put a message on there?

Lots of businesses use it to get their name and reputation noticed. Good luck.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Prime81 Member since: Jan 23, 2018
  6. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,429 1,672
    I sympathise with you guys, really I do, but why are you moaning here instead of going out there and burying this provider in the SERPs?!

No, it's not that difficult to push them to page 2 for your company name.

And we all know that the best place to hide something, to ensure nobody ever finds it, is to put it on page 2.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  7. wilsjames

23 0
    how can you do that ? push them to page 2 they are a massive company we cannot compete

8. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

2,101 483
    I haven't noticed this happening, can you give some examples?

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  9. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

467 96
    John Lewis and very.co.uk both have bad scores on one provider I can think of, Amazon don't fare much better. Those are the most successful internet retailers covered.

I know of a few rogue merchants who have excellent 5/5 ratings, though.

Build a presence on Facebook, Twitter, Wikipedia, etc for your company name and your provider's page will drop down a page soon enough.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  10. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,429 1,672
    It's a piece of cake. There are fewer than 10 organic results on page 1 now.

If you can't push this company to page 2, especially given that the Companies House page for your company and other such pages rank above it, you're doing something very wrong.

Go sign up with @Tin 's Fresh Bananas or something!

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  11. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,311 1,741
    I've just added a blank reviews page to my directory :)

It's actually got a form on where people can add a review, unfortunately they will all get rejected, though.

I had a review system on the directory over a decade ago, it was obvious people just manipulated it though so I scrapped it.

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  12. samuel5

samuel5 UKBF Regular Full Member

240 15
    We are a paid subscriber of customer reviews site, but there is no way to just delete a negative review?

Posted: Sep 10, 2019 By: samuel5 Member since: Apr 25, 2010
  13. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,050 271
    A previous business of mine received a negative review during its early days on an industry specific review website.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was from a genuine customer (even if, for example, we disagreed on the events) but at the time I could count the number of customers we had using my fingers and I knew each of them, plus the so-called customer described a service we weren't even providing.

I contacted the website asking for the review to be removed or at least for them to ask the author for proof of being a customer.

Their response - no can do however if I were to advertise with them they could look at removing a few negative reviews "as a favour".

Needless to say, the fake review stayed in place.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  14. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,936 9,070
    Running a customer reviews business can cost a lot of money. Yet people use it for for free and rely on these reviews. When these companies then ask for money, people get all upset.

I agree the fee is high but to expect a service like this to be free forever without penalty is a little naïve. And if you read the T&Cs it says quite clearly they have the right to restrict or change your free service which itself is a time limited offer.

So while I do sympathise, it’s not unexpected. Read the T&Cs before signing up!

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  15. wilsjames

23 0
    Couldnt agree More the negative reviews for us were also left in the Early days most likely the company i left to go and set up on my own funny how all these ones have been left up and the genuine ones taken down

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: wilsjames Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  16. wilsjames

23 0
    I dont mind paying money for a service i believe in but not a Mortgage payment per month from what i see people are starting to wake up to this website

17. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,936 9,070
    I agree, but their pricing will be published on their website and when you signed up you agreed to the T&Cs so you should have known what was coming. You certainly don't have to pay £500 per month when a cheaper service probably exists.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  18. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,569 985
    I do not people think it needs to be free forever without penalty, lets not forget these reviews sites need the free business on there as without them their sites would be a lot smaller - so there are plus points for them also offering a free listing.

The issue is not paying for it, the issue is that going from £0 to £165 is a ridiculous jump.

I was not aware the free service was a limited offer, but in saying that I never read the T&Cs.
    I have just looked at alternatives:
    feefo, Reevo, reviews.io/co.uk - none of them state their pricing online.

I have never really thought about it, but this whole industry seems a bit cloak and dagger. You either put up with set and published pricing which goes from 0-165 or you go with a site that has no published prices so could go from 20-200.

Looks like there is room for a new company whose costs are published and are reasonable for small and larger businesses.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  19. NickGrogan

NickGrogan UKBF Ace Free Member

2,101 483
    It's not really that elaborate is it

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: NickGrogan Member since: Nov 15, 2012
  20. wilsjames

23 0
    Now that we have looked into it and found so many similar disgruntled companies no

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.