Discrimination advice

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Debbie G, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Debbie G

Debbie G UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    I have applied via an employment agency for some casual work whilst my small business takes off.
    Yesterday I received a telephone call informing me that the company who have the vacancies will not accept my adoption birth certificate along with proof of national insurance number in the form of P60 as proof of identity.
    They then informed me that to progress my application I must apply for a PROPER birth certificate.
    I do not have a passport or driving licence and as an adopted baby in the late '60's I don't have legal access to a "proper" birth certificate. I have a proper birth certificate it is the certificate of an adopted child.
    Not only has this request angered me, it has caused distress to myself and my mother.
    Since when did I need a valid passport or driving licence to work in England in a job with no travel and no driving.
    Any thoughts?

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: Debbie G Member since: Sep 14, 2018
  2. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,867 1,459
    Yes, find a different company.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  3. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

9,674 2,442
    Your adopted birth certificate is certainly adequate as a birth certificate. The agency is entirely wrong to demand a 'proper' birth certificate. You have a proper one. assuming it is a British birth certificate, it is sufficient.

The law now fines employers very heavily if they employ someone who does not have the right to work. The guidance on wat they can use to establish the right to work is here
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/acceptable-right-to-work-documents-an-employers-guide
    I suggest you contact the agency and give them a link to this guidance

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  4. Bushman

Bushman UKBF Regular Free Member

103 23
    It needs to be a FULL adoption certificate (not an abveviated version). Issued in the UK which includes the name(s) of at least one of the holder’s adoptive parents, and produced in combination with an official document giving the person’s permanent National Insurance Number and their name issued by a Government Agency or a previous employer.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: Bushman Member since: Nov 17, 2015
  5. Debbie G

8 0

6. Newchodge

9,674 2,442
    Sorry, I've just seen you are asking for advice about discrimination. Which protected characteristic do you have which has resulted in your detrimental treatment?

7. Debbie G

8 0
    According to the company and agency I do not exist!
    Which is detrimental as I do exist!

8. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,051 518
    As highlighted above the agency is in the wrong and its best just to move on!
    Alex

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  9. Newchodge

9,674 2,442
    Everyone discriminates every day. In the real sense of the word I discriminate between tea and coffee, between Tesco and Asda etc. Discrimination is only illegal if it is based on a protected characteristic. So, do you have a protected characteristic that is the cause of illegal treatment?

10. Debbie G

8 0
    The protected characteristic of race - according to the company I cannot prove I am a British Citizen.

Perhaps Pregnancy and Maternity - as they question whether I was born at all!

Sex - my full adoption certificate states I am female - but as this has been rejected, am I?

The Government set out the employment rules of identity and companies have gone way over the top with their compliance regulations. Even to the point of rejecting government legislation.

11. simon field

simon field UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

3,867 1,459
    I'm sure there'll be better ones out there.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: simon field Member since: Feb 4, 2011
  12. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

9,032 912
    Common enough to ask for driving licence or passport as proof of ID these days. Not everyone has one but common enough.
    A certificate - just proves access to a certificate, does not prove the certificate is relating to you.
    Usually places will have alternate ID accepted when you don't have what they prefer.
    Often a list - provide one from column A and one from column B. Employers must go through the motions of being able to prove they have checked your eligibility to work in the UK.

In this case - doesn't the adoption certificate replace the birth certificate?

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  13. Debbie G

8 0
    Definitely, there will be. I am also aware of this.

However! There is a I believe many companies acting illegally during the interview process.
    Demanding photographic I.D.

We do not have to carry identity cards in the U.K. (Well not yet at least).

And the situation needs to be addressed.

I had hoped there would be constructive advice, not roll over and play dead advice!

14. Mr D

9,032 912
    Is British Citizen a race?

15. Mr D

9,032 912

Asking a bunch of business owners, some of whom employ staff, probably gets you a different answer than asking on a different forum.

Haven't seen any roll over and play dead advice but there may be posts done that my system hasn't shown me yet.

16. Debbie G

8 0
    I believe I am a member of the human race, and that my British citizenship has been questioned.
    What race am I? The Adopted Race!

17. Newchodge

9,674 2,442
    Requiring that you prove you are a British citizen is the law. The fct they don't accept your claim is not based on your race.
    Discrimination would be down to you being pregnant.
    And they rejected you because your adoption certificate states you are female? Is that what you are claiming?

You can certainly claim discrimination - anyone can. Your case won't get past the door of the tribunal. Complain formally to the most senior person in the organisation responsible, move on and save your energy.

18. Debbie G

8 0

19. Debbie G

8 0
    Thanks for the information.

20. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Regular Free Member

417 77
    If it helps the OP, I had to obtain a new larger full birth certificate, the one issued by the registrar at the time of my birth is a standard short version, had never been a problem until 5/6 years ago.

I recently paid for one of my daughters to have a passport even though she has no intention of travelling, plus a driving license, even though she does not plan to drive due to her handicap.

Such annoyances apply to the whole country.

Posted: Sep 14, 2018 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017