Disappointed with HARO

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Donna77, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Donna77

Donna77 UKBF Contributor Full Member

69 11
    I just signed up but all mail alerts appear to be self promoting spam. Has anyone else tried it?
    [If you haven't heard of it, HARO is Help a Reporter Out - a free portal to answer media questions and get some business exposure].

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 By: Donna77 Member since: Jan 30, 2014
  2. TODonnell

TODonnell UKBF Ace Full Member

1,405 215
    I thought it looked good but it seemed US-centred and there wasn't much overlap with the business I was promoting at the time. Reporters essentially want scandal and/or are concentrating on certain popular news niches.

I'd guess the reporters get swamped, also.

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 By: TODonnell Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  3. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

7,276 1,589
    Hi Donna
    If you want to secure media coverage in media read/watched/ listened to by your target audience you'd be better off engaging directly with journalists to build relationships.

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  4. PRUK

PRUK UKBF Newcomer Full Member

3 0
    Hi Donna

I have to say I disagree - I've found HARO to be quite effective; having received responses from journalists from top tier titles (although, admittedly, I've never secured coverage from it).

HARO is a free service, and these types of companies usually charge extortionate fees. The advert at the top of each email is a small price to pay in exchange for good quality coverage. Do make sure you've subscribed to relevant categories, so as not to receive inappropriate alerts.

Also, I agree with ethical PR, the best way to secure meaningful coverage is to connect directly with journalists in your key target titles. Do give me a shout if you'd like some more advice.

Posted: Aug 20, 2014 By: PRUK Member since: Aug 16, 2014
  5. Donna77

Donna77 UKBF Contributor Full Member

69 11
    Thanks for the replies. I've looked more closely at the mails and as Adamchy says, it is US centric. As well as the rambling ad at the top which comes into your inbox 3 times a day, it feels repetitive because of the filter system. Not for me.

Posted: Aug 21, 2014 By: Donna77 Member since: Jan 30, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.