General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Director Takes £11m From Football Club

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by TheBlackpoolCopywriter, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stretchy

Stretchy UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,454 1,403
    I only know 1 person who makes that kind of cash in a year. Sounds to me like we should be discussing the bloke as some kind of role model for the people of UKBF, not slating him.:)

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: Stretchy Member since: Jun 11, 2010
  2. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    You guys sure don't know your football or its fans. ;)

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  3. Banned

Banned Banned

1,899 769
    Oh but I do, which is why I go out of my way to avoid the game and fans equally.

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: Banned Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  4. Stretchy

4,454 1,403
    I know nothing about football. All I know is anyone legally pocketing 11 million should be congratulated on a business forum. :)

5. internetspaceships

internetspaceships Banned Full Member

6,981 2,330
    I couldn't agree more. This is supposed to be a forum for people who want to make money after all. This should be something that people aspire to, not despise.

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: internetspaceships Member since: Sep 7, 2009
  6. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,646
    Quite agree congratulations to Vodaphone for getting HMRC to let them off 6 Billion in tax.

Its a business forum ,not a money making forum.:|

Yep afraid I do not like greed and corruption.

And my doctor says its an incurable condition I will have to live with.

Earl

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  7. spencergate

spencergate UKBF Newcomer Free Member

538 94
    If the business is solvent, the profits are there, then there is no reason why the shareholders shouldn't take their dividends or whatever.

However I believe that quite a number of clubs are actually technically insolvent, and continue trading in that position, some of them paying players ludicrous amounts of money. I suspect Rangers is likely to be the start of trend.

Football has become an industry, and I really do think it should be brought back to a reasonable level.

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: spencergate Member since: Apr 18, 2006
  8. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Rangers would kill to have Oyston take then over right now. ;)

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  9. internetspaceships

6,981 2,330
    It's a sad state of affairs when we look at someone taking profits from their business and then automatically assume that there is greed and/or corruption involved.

Can't we just look at the positives as well? Isn't it possible that it's a result of good business management and the ability to actually make a company work well?

Why are so people obsessed with putting down successful people? I think there's one heck of a lot of jealousy in this country these days and frankly it isn't healthy.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  10. Stretchy

4,454 1,403
    Ill put my hand up and say i'm jealous. If I had the ability to even make a reasonable fraction of that money I certainly wouldn't be here, and I certainly wouldn't give two hoots about what anyone on here thought about how I made it.

I'm not jealous or sour enough not to wish the man luck though.;) The man is obviously a much better business man than me, and I suspect almost everyone else on this forum. Fair play to him.:)

As a business community, we could all learn a lot from him, I suspect.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  11. RevaxMedia

RevaxMedia Banned

1,298 251
    Would you not take out £11m if you had the chance, of course your would and so would any other human being!

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: RevaxMedia Member since: Aug 4, 2011
  12. internetspaceships

6,981 2,330
    I agree with both Stretchy and Revax.

Best of luck to him. I'm not jealous, I'd like to work out how he did it and LEARN FROM HIS EXPERIENCES.

It takes a lot of balls to make real money. Whether you start with it or not, making money work for you is hardly as easy as falling off a log.

I'm not going to get bent out of shape over the fact that some people inherit money. It's what they do with it that defines the person.

13. Stretchy

4,454 1,403
    Exactly. To make a reasonable amount of money can be done with little risk, but to make significant amounts, at some point you will probably have to risk a big chunk of it. That is what makes the difference between being well off, and being rich.

14. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Don't overdo it Spaceship.
    You are edging towards the more extreme posters on here. We are ALL entitled to a point of view and should be able to express it without being told we 'automatically assume that there is greed and/or corruption involved'.
    I think what many on here are doing is missing out on the fact that in this country (politics, police, local government) and big business is riddled with bad eggs. That is what isn't healthy and sweeping it under the nearest carpet is what these corrupt creeps would love us all to do. UKBF seems to be doing it's bit ?

I welcome anyone who is not so keen on the sanitised version of events we are constantly fed and those who disagree with me. It is then for me to decide on the veracaity of the other person's opinion, surely ?

Or do you just want the usual posters that you always agree with on here ? Not much going on with that way of looking at life..just looking for confirmation that you are right all the time.

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  15. seasider

seasider UKBF Newcomer Free Member

75 7
    As the OP asked what the views would be on a business forum I'm sure no-one is surprised by the replies. What it really comes down to is the question of wether you believe a football club is a straight forward business or some sort of community organistion. Whilst the Oyston's financial input over the years has clearly helped the club survive they have on many occassions relied on the fans to do there bit too. Season ticket holders are sent raffle tickets to sell at xmas time with the proceeds going to the club, when times were hard fans were asked to raise money to "buy a player". The supporters club raised and funded the money to have the club's crest displayed outside the ground ! All of these things the board suggested fans should be doing to help the club as it was a community thing and they couldn't fund everything themselves, but now the club has one lucky season in the top flight and makes a profit it is ok for them to take it all back with interest !

It is these sort of facts that make it morally corrupt of OO to take this money, and to say that any business that makes a huge profit should be lauded on this forum is hypocritical, I can recall many threads slagging off Provident, Wonga et al as being greedy leaches.

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: seasider Member since: Aug 23, 2006
  16. internetspaceships

6,981 2,330
    Confirmation that I'm right all the time? Playing to the crowd? Heck no I'm stating my own opinions as you are so keen to point out is your own right too!

Just as people are entitled to quickly jump on the "there must be something wrong with the deal" bandwagon, I'm entitled to point out that, in fact, it might not be as sinister as the other camp may believe.

Why exactly is it ok for other people to state their opinion and just because mine is different there has to be some nefarious ulterior motive?

Whether business is riddled with bad eggs or not has absolutely zero relevance to any of us. It's our own businesses that matter. Not theirs.

Let them get on with it and they will reap the rewards AND pitfalls associated with their actions. Getting wound up over what they do really IS a pointless excercise.

We should be looking at people who do more business than we do and taking a leaf out of their book, assuming of course that we really do want to move onwards and upwards.

If people don't want to grow and be more successful that's their choice and of course it's fine however accord the people who DO want to the same level of respect.

But don't rip them to pieces for trying, or heaven forbid, for succeeding.

17. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,646
    As every Englishman knows it's not that you won or lost but how you played the game old chap.;)

Earl

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  18. Stretchy

4,454 1,403
    As quoted by every losing team ever to play a game.:D

19. captaincloser

captaincloser Banned

2,770 1,130
    Spaceship, I suggest you just take a deep breath and re-red the post of yours that I was alluding to...don't go reposting a completely new argument to back yourself up...:rolleyes:

Posted: Mar 8, 2012 By: captaincloser Member since: Mar 20, 2010
  20. internetspaceships

6,981 2,330
    Mate I really don't have time to get into a cyclic argument and be accused of trying to back myself up.

That isn't the point of what I wrote. Take it or leave it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.